Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hopkins: Calzaghe will change his mind (good interview)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hopkins: Calzaghe will change his mind (good interview)

I know I know, people getting fed up of all the Calzaghe talk but good interview with Bhop all the same. Obviously Hopkins says he beat Joe and will do so again but at least he acknowledges he had trouble keeping up with him. Well, kind of...

Hopkins: Calzaghe will change his mind

Bernard Hopkins told Steve Bunce's Boxing Hour that he will not consider Chad Dawson as an opponent and believes the winner out of Joe Calzaghe and Roy Jones Jr will change their mind about not fighting him. The Executioner produced the performance of his career last Saturday in Atlantic City to convincingly outpoint current middleweight king Kelly Pavlik..

Both Calzaghe and Jones, though paying respect to Hopkins' performance, insist they have no interest in having second fights against the Philadelphia fighter.

Hopkins believes the media frenzy surrounding the aftermath of their fight, when he will be in attendance, will persuade the fighters that they have to take him on.

"Scratch Chad Dawson off, I've got bigger fish to fry," Hopkins told Setanta Sports News. "I heard Joe said Bernard won't get a rematch.

"Joe knows in his heart the judges beat Bernard Hopkins. I'll be ringside on November 8 and all hell going to break out in the media and with the fans. I set the bar so high.

"With Joe Calzaghe I won't worry about a decision this time. I will knock him out.

"Joe Calzaghe has a style that no one can keep up with, whether its slaps or whatever. It's not a style you see in America.

"My next fight will be no later than February, no earlier than March."

Hopkins went on to describe how his ability to adapt in the ring was the key to beating Pavlik.
    "I standby it was my best performance even better than Felix Trinidad," Hopkins added. "I really hope he comes back. He has a thumping George Foreman type of punch, but I took that away.

"I watched his fights and no one tried to do that or didn't do it for long enough. They maybe did it for a few seconds or a round at most.

"When you're fighting a different style you have to adapt to that. I was taught well by Bouie Fisher to do more than one thing.

"Joe Frazier was a great champion who couldn't do more than one thing. He couldn't fight standing up. That's why he got beat by George Foreman.

"Moving to my right took away his right hand. Similarly, Trinidad is known for the left hook but if you don;t go to his strong side it takes something away. I watched his fights and no one tried to do that or didn't do it for long enough."
    "He was convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard"

- Mike Tyson Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins: Calzaghe will change his mind (good interview)

BHop knows Chad Dawson would beat him. He should retire on a high and not be a fool.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    BHop knows Chad Dawson would beat him. He should retire on a high and not be a fool.
    I agree, but fighters seldom leave when they probably should.

I really wouldnt mind seeing him face Calzaghe again. Calzaghe would do a better job, and if Hopkins wants to trade more, then good.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I agree, but fighters seldom leave when they probably should.

I really wouldn't mind seeing him face Calzaghe again. Calzaghe would do a better job, and if Hopkins wants to trade more, then good.
    Dawson/Hopkins not a sleeper.Pure definition of a crossroads match and No, I'm not drinking the hugger kool-aid .Stylistically,Dawson is far ahead of Pavlik with great hand speed,movement and gaining some very serious experience in last three big bout's but this is all the business man in Hopkins,risk/reward,waying options,etc. Not ready to say Dawson takes him.

If he insist on fighting,I wish he would go out on a high note with dominate win over Pavlik,but should he go forward it will very well revolve around the winner of Calzaghe/Jones jr. Do agree though,that road leads to a possibility of Calzaghe vs. Hopkins 2 .Not to keen on that rematch.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 10-24-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Thread Information