0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 50 Years Ago

Metro - Springhill honours heroes of the ‘bump’

Springhill honours heroes of the ‘bump’

CHRISTOPHER GOODING, AMHERST DAILY NEWS
    October 24, 2008 02:04

Fifty years ago, and 13,000 feet underground, Harold Brine wondered if he would ever see his young family again.

Brine was one of 12 miners trapped in a small pocket inside the No. 2 coalmine in Springhill, after the devastating Oct. 23, 1958, upheaval known as the “bump” trapped 167 working men. Seventy-five died.

As the days rolled on, food ran out and their lamps died, and Brine’s thoughts turned to his family above.

Would he be remembered?

“I don’t remember anything about the bump. I was two-and-a-half (years old) then,” Bonnie Cole, Brine’s daughter, said yesterday. She spoke as residents unveiled a plaque that commemorates the event on its 50th anniversary.

“Dad always said he thought down there if his daughter would remember him.

Yesterday, residents remembered those who went back underground to rescue the living, and the volunteers who tended to the injured, the bereaved and the needy.

“What those guys did was wonderful,” Brine said in front of where the No. 2 colliery once stood. “We were trapped in a little hole and they didn’t give up.”

Families, survivors, miners and friends stood against a biting cold wind yesterday to witness the tragic anniversary and remember the tales of loss and courage.

Bill Kempt, whose father Gorley was trapped shoulder-to-shoulder with Brine in the No. 2, said it was a miracle when his father was found alive, but the joy was overshadowed by mixed emotions.

“I realized I was standing with a lot of people who were finding out their (fathers) were dead,” Kempt said.

“Dad was very grateful to survive and be saved, but there was guilt to his own good fortune.”

Springhill exhibited an act of heroism that day, Kempt said, but many of the men and volunteers who sprung into action have played down their roles, and Kempt hopes that on this anniversary they will allow themselves to be held in high regard, not only for saving his father, but for the courage to make sure no one was left behind.

“It’s the miners’ code; you would do it for me,” Kempt said. “None of them treated themselves like heroes, but they are heroes."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 50 Years Ago

As Ive caved for many of a year,I have a natural affinity for miners. Living in WV has only strengthened it.
    When your down there,you allways try not to consider the idea of things going wrong.
    Because if something goes wrong,it will be very hard to make it right.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's interesting TM, didn't know you were a miner. I made this thread when I saw the article, not really knowing anything of it prior, other then some of our members, like Deanrw for eg...are from Nova Scotia and might have some personal relatability to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know very well of the Springhill Mining Tragedy and a few others that followed it.I have been to Springhill many times and the people there remember it so well. The terrible impact it had on everyones life in that small town.

They are a hardened, tough and determined folk in that town. Nearly every resident suffered some sort of personal loss due to that mine collapse. They marched forward though, but will always remember the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    That's interesting TM, didn't know you were a miner. I made this thread when I saw the article, not really knowing anything of it prior, other then some of our members, like Deanrw for eg...are from Nova Scotia and might have some personal relatability to it.
    Not a miner, a caver,close but different.
    Your still,deep under ground,and if something goes wrong,it goes very wrong. So you develop an affinity for miners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres not enough money in the world to make me go in one of these things. Id have a fit the whole time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    Theres not enough money in the world to make me go in one of these things. Id have a fit the whole time.
    A no s there I was story
    We thought we had found a cave
    I was soloing and went in to the lower level,thats when I saw the rotten support beams

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd be pent up crazy or some shit trapped in a Mine .Would not do well

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

50 years ago our moderator Andre was 20 years old
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was actually in my mummys belly bootin and sqirmin around right when all this was going down!
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have dived through caves out under about 20 feet of water in Vanuatu thats a different feeling having to go sideways to fit through some with your tank.
    Second dive ever too,they are nuts over there you learn in a deep swimming pool in the morning,prove that your level headed by taking all your breathing gear off swimming around the group then putting all your gear back on again and joining the underwater seated circle.Get your goggles knocked off and mouthpiece out then you have to fill your googles with air, get rearranged and thats it, you're a licenced diver and your off for five different types of dives over the next few days.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I have dived through caves out under about 20 feet of water in Vanuatu thats a different feeling having to go sideways to fit through some with your tank.
    Second dive ever too,they are nuts over there you learn in a deep swimming pool in the morning,prove that your level headed by taking all your breathing gear off swimming around the group then putting all your gear back on again and joining the underwater seated circle.Get your goggles knocked off and mouthpiece out then you have to fill your googles with air, get rearranged and thats it, you're a licenced diver and your off for five different types of dives over the next few days.
    Hey Andre Vanuatu is on my list of places to go , i couldnt get a crusie to go there for next year , it looks a wonderful place , were did you stay ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the Meridian mate. There was a guard on the door who wore a traditional grass skirt. I'd come home each night ,wave to him nod and say "Man in dress" . He would just smile and wave back.
    Nice place ,like Fiji was 25 years ago,not so touristy. wicked meal to be had in the local seafood resteraunt right on the dock front.
    Not much to do there though except dive but it is A1. The jail looks harsh ,its on the road out to the Meridian. look into what each resort has to offer cause that would be the main part of the stay as Port Villa itself is rustic. I hear there is a volcano island you can fly out to for a day so that would be coolhot.

I can explain it.

Thread Information