Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "Fighter of the Decade" Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by caleoh12 View Post
    [Mayweather moved up in weight and proved to be the best fighter in each class (with the exception of welterweight because I don't think he fought the best at that class..
    Or light welter

If Joe and Floyd were the same weight, Joe would win, Floyd needs fighters to give him space and time to be able to work, Joe would give him niether.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    [Mayweather moved up in weight and proved to be the best fighter in each class (with the exception of welterweight because I don't think he fought the best at that class..
    Or light welter

If Joe and Floyd were the same weight, Joe would win, Floyd needs fighters to give him space and time to be able to work, Joe would give him niether.
    You honestly think P4P Calzaghe would beat Mayweather? Calzaghe struggled against Hopkins who LET Joe back into the fight by not throwing punches. Mayweather is much harder to hit than Hopkins IMO and would have never stopped throwing punches. Either way, Joe over Floyd, NEGATIVE...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=ross;622821]

Chuckles.

There is nothing that Joe Calzaghe does in a boxing ring better than PBF.

p4p power
    defense
    speed
    chin
    ring generalship
    accuracy
    non-slappery

....nothing

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you mean who has been the most consistent over the last 10 years it has to be Calzaghe, 10 years ago Jones was the best fighter p4p but for consistancy no one can match what Joe has done.

To stay at the top of his game and to beat a very good young undefeated fighter like Kessler (who will go on to prove his class) AFTER being the top dog in his division for 10 years and to piss all over him, totaly outclassing him.

If Mayweather can manage 10 years as champ in 1 weight and then after the ten years beat the best available competiton with ease (not avoiding the best fighters in certain weight classes to fight recenetly defeated)and has been names), then I would rank him higher than Joe but as it is he wont.

Mayweather wont be an undisputed or linear champ in any weight at 36, Joe was, in 2 differnt weights after being a champ undefeated for 11 years.
    Like I said before, Calzaghe gets a lot of credit for remaining undefeated in my eyes but don't get carried away here. Who has he fought in 10 years with the exception of the past two years? A bunch of fighters people barely know.

The consistency award goes to Calzaghe but taking bigger/better fights or trying to get his name out there didn't happen until his thrashing of Lacy. Joe has had a hell of a 2 years, but other fighters have done more with a longer period of time.

I don't see how Calzaghe can be ahead of Mayweather in a "fighter of a decade sense." Yea Calzaghe dominated a weight class, but not a tough class. Mayweather moved up in weight and proved to be the best fighter in each class (with the exception of welterweight because I don't think he fought the best at that class). Joe moved up one weight class and won a questionable decision over Hopkins. Had Calzaghe moved up the weight classes like Floyd, he would've been destroyed a while ago.

Don't take this as Calzaghe bashing, I'm just trying to prove my point on a Mayweather vs Calzaghe "fighter of the decade" sense. Again, Pacquiao and Hopkins is still further in my list than Calzaghe is. 2 years does not equal a decade...
    Yeah I agree, it cant count above fights taken, if we are adding undefeated into fighter of the decade why no put the retired German Okkte in there as well?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

ICB Guest

Or light welter

You can always count on Ross to give an unbiased opinion regarding British fighters

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Or light welter

Such as Hatton?

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Or light welter

Such as Hatton?
    Don't bother he hasn't got a clue its well known fact swarmers like Jesus Chavez, Ricky Hatton, Phillip N'dou all got a pasting off Floyd Mayweather.

And Ross if you reply to this please don't say Jose Luis Castillo, he didn't swarm he bobbed and weaved picked his shots. And went almost entirely to the body.

Plus Floyd Mayweather had a injured shoulder in that fight, so he wasn't 100 percent. Joe Calzaghe had trouble against defensive counter puncher Bernard Hopkins.

And Floyd Mayweather is a better counter puncher, and also has a better defense than Bernard Hopkins. Joe Calzaghe was getting caught with straight right hands down the pipe all night, Floyd Mayweather would easily avoid Joe Calzaghe's slapping combinations, and would counter and pot shot Joe Calzaghe all night winning a clear cut UD.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I vote John Ruiz.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is the fighter of the decade, and I don't think it's even up for debate.

The real debate is where people slot in behind him. I don't list Jones high, because he was only elite for the first 3-4 years of the decade. He belongs more on a list for top fighters of 90s.

If Pacquiao either beats DLH or looks very very good in defeat, I'd have him at #2. No offense to Calzaghe, but his opposition doesn't match up to Manny's.

I rank Billy Dib 10,374th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Floyd is the fighter of the decade, and I don't think it's even up for debate.

The real debate is where people slot in behind him. I don't list Jones high, because he was only elite for the first 3-4 years of the decade. He belongs more on a list for top fighters of 90s.

If Pacquiao either beats DLH or looks very very good in defeat, I'd have him at #2. No offense to Calzaghe, but his opposition doesn't match up to Manny's.

I rank Billy Dib 10,374th.
    Take it you like Dib then i don't think he is that good

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    -Undefeated, Untouched. Whether or not he fought everybody he couldor not doesn't change the fact that he beat some very good fighters in very convincing fashion.
    Shane Mosely
    This man was a Lightweight ten years ago. A lightweight that could well have given Chavez and even Duran hell. What he has achieved since is merely supplementary to Shane's Lightweight greatness.
    Oscar De la Hoya
    His better days saw him provide some scintilating fights, rarely losing. Great fighter.
    Bernard Hopkins
    Can't say anything about Bernard, let him tell his own story, he's doing it well.
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Beat Morales twice, beat Marquez, destroyed the Prince, assasinated egeryone he met in his prime and past it went the distance with Manny Pac.
    Winky Wright
    Inherited greatness in the way he shut down two other greats, Trinidad and Mosley.
    Lennox Lewis
    Hindsight is a blessing.
    Joe Calzaghe
    Perhaps the greatest thinker in the past ten, rivalled only by Mayweather and Lewis.
    Felix Trinidad
    Raw greatness.
    Roy Jones Jr.
    -We saw Roy at his most dominant within the past ten years.
    Unfortuantely we also saw those heavy defeats, but the best Roy Jones Junior was active within the past ten years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Or light welter

that is the dumbest shit i ever heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    -Undefeated, Untouched. Whether or not he fought everybody he couldor not doesn't change the fact that he beat some very good fighters in very convincing fashion.
    Shane Mosely
    This man was a Lightweight ten years ago. A lightweight that could well have given Chavez and even Duran hell. What he has achieved since is merely supplementary to Shane's Lightweight greatness.
    Oscar De la Hoya
    His better days saw him provide some scintilating fights, rarely losing. Great fighter.
    Bernard Hopkins
    Can't say anything about Bernard, let him tell his own story, he's doing it well.
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Beat Morales twice, beat Marquez, destroyed the Prince, assasinated egeryone he met in his prime and past it went the distance with Manny Pac.
    Winky Wright
    Inherited greatness in the way he shut down two other greats, Trinidad and Mosley.
    Lennox Lewis
    Hindsight is a blessing.
    Joe Calzaghe
    Perhaps the greatest thinker in the past ten, rivalled only by Mayweather and Lewis.
    Felix Trinidad
    Raw greatness.
    Roy Jones Jr.
    -We saw Roy at his most dominant within the past ten years.
    Unfortuantely we also saw those heavy defeats, but the best Roy Jones Junior was active within the past ten years.

pretty much the same if you take out calzaghe and put in pacman. what about glen johnson he had some good fight with woods and even beat tarver the first time they met.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post
    pretty much the same if you take out calzaghe and put in pacman. what about glen johnson he had some good fight with woods and even beat tarver the first time they met.
    Pacman doesn't need to be in this list.
    The fact is Pac is still going, still forging his legacy, although I do believe his weight jump for DLH is ill fated, he can return to 130 and forge a legacy all of his own that will see him No.1 on a list similar to this in ten years time.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After giving this post some thought and putting my mind to it, here's my list.... I just didn't throw this list out of no where I gave it some thought and put it together... I changed it about 13 times before I came to this conclusion.

1. PBF
    2. SSM
    3. B-Hop
    4. ODLH
    5. MAB
    6. Lennox
    7. Winky
    8. PAC
    9. Calzaghe
    10. JMM

Thread Information