Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default "Fighter of the Decade" Rankings

Rankings: Looking at the decade’s best
    By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
    Oct 24, 12:07 pm EDT

With only about 14 months remaining in the decade, it got me thinking about the 10 best fighters from 2000 through 2009.

It is obvious that, at this point, the Fighter of the Decade is Floyd Mayweather Jr., who scored most of the big wins in his illustrious career from 2000 on and who reigned as the sport’s pound-for-pound champion for five years in the decade.

Whenever you’re choosing the best over a period like a decade, there are always elite fighters who have to get cut.

But this is my list, for what it’s worth. If you give me yours, I’ll share some of them in my mailbag that runs on Tuesday. Remember, though, I’m only going to consider a fighter’s bouts that occurred from 2000 through the present.

So, before we get to the current monthly rankings, my decade rankings go like this: 1. Mayweather; 2. Heavyweight Lennox Lewis; 3. Middleweight Bernard Hopkins; 4. Manny Pacquiao; 5. Super welterweight Winky Wright; 6. Marco Antonio Barrera; 7. Erik Morales; 8. Shane Mosley; 9. Joe Calzaghe; 10. Miguel Cotto.

Lewis only fought through 2003 and he lost a bout to Hasim Rahman in that period. But he avenged the loss to Rahman in a devastating manner, stopped Vitali Klitschko and dominated Michael Grant (who at the time was very highly regarded), Frans Botha and David Tua (whom many were giving a good chance).

Hopkins held the middleweight titles for the first half of the decade and then, after losing them in a controversial decision, moved to light heavyweight and scored impressive wins over Antonio Tarver, Wright and Kelly Pavlik there.

As for this month’s rankings, Hopkins makes the biggest move, jumping from 10th to fifth after routing Pavlik in Atlantic City, N.J. Pavlik dropped out of the poll and Cristian Mijares moved into the 10th slot.

Let me know your choices thus far for Fighter of the Decade and we’ll discuss a bit in my mailbag on Tuesday.

Here, though, is the October rankings, as voted on by a 26-member panel of boxing writers.

1. Manny Pacquiao
    Record: 47-3-2 (36 KOs)
    Title: WBC lightweight champion
    Last outing: TKO9 over David Diaz on June 28
    Previous ranking:: 1
    Up next: Dec. 6 vs. Oscar De La Hoya
    Analysis:: Should be unanimous No. 1 if he overcomes size disadvantage against De La Hoya

2. Joe Calzaghe
    Record: 45-0 (32 KOs)
    Title: WBA super middleweight champion and The Ring light heavyweight champion
    Last outing: W12 over No. 9 Bernard Hopkins on April 19
    Previous ranking:: 3
    Up next: Nov. 8 in New York vs. Roy Jones Jr.
    Analysis:: Announced he’ll retire after Jones fight

3. Juan Manuel Marquez
    Record: 49-4-1 (35 KOs)
    Title: The Ring lightweight champion
    Last outing: TKO11 over Joel Casamayor on Sept. 13
    Previous ranking:: 2
    Up next: Nothing scheduled
    Analysis:: In a holding pattern, waiting upon results of other bouts

4. Israel Vazquez
    Record: 43-4 (31 KOs)
    Title: WBC and The Ring super bantamweight champion
    Last outing: W12 over No. 7 Rafael Marquez on March 1
    Previous ranking:: 4
    Analysis:: Will return in spring of 2009

5. Bernard Hopkins
    Record: 49-5 (32 KOs)
    Title: None
    Last outing: W12 over Kelly Pavlik on Oct. 18
    Previous ranking:: 10
    Analysis:: Hoping for a Roy Jones Jr. rematch next year

6. Antonio Margarito
    Record: 37-5 (27 KOs)
    Title: WBA welterweight champion
    Last outing: TKO11 over No. 8 Miguel Cotto on July 26
    Previous ranking:: 6
    Analysis:: Won’t fight again until early 2009

7. Rafael Marquez
    Record: 37-5 (33 KOs)
    Last outing: L12 to No. 4 Israel Vazquez on March 1
    Previous ranking:: 7
    Analysis:: Part of boxing’s finest brother tandem

8. Miguel Cotto
    Record: 32-1 (26 KOs)
    Last outing: TKO by 11 to Antonio Margarito on July 26
    Previous ranking:: 8
    Analysis:: Won’t fight again until early 2009

9. Ivan Calderon
    Record: 32-0 (6 KOs)
    Title: WBO light flyweight champion
    Last outing: TD7 over Hugo Cazares on Aug. 30
    Previous ranking:: 10
    Analysis:: The game’s finest pure boxer

10. Cristian Mijares
    Record: 36-3-2 (15 KOs)
    Title: WBC, WBA super flyweight champion
    Last outing: TKO3 over Chatchai Sasakul on Aug. 30
    Previous ranking:: NR
    Up next: Nov. 1 vs. Vic Darchinyan in Carson, Calif.
    Analysis:: Superb boxer gaining much respect

Others receiving votes: Paul Williams 27 1/2, Chad Dawson 19, Kelly Pavlik 10 1/2, Chris John 6, Juan Manuel Lopez 5, Wladimir Klitschko 4, Mikkel Kessler 3, Roy Jones Jr. 3, Ricky Hatton 2, David Haye 1, Arthur Abraham 1.

Kevin Iole covers boxing and mixed martial arts for Yahoo! Sports. Send Kevin a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "Fighter of the Decade" Rankings

Interesting question. It's tough to name a top 10 for the decade and I'll probably miss some out by mistake but, in no particular order the fighters involved must be.

Floyd Mayweather
    Roy Jones Jr
    Bernard Hopkins
    Shane Mosely
    Oscar De La Hoya
    Felix Trinidad
    Joe Calzaghe
    Manny Pacquaio
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Erik Morales
    Lennox Lewis

For me it's between those 11, although I'm sure I've missed someone obvious out.

Guys like Winky, JM Marquez, just finish outside those above imo. although maybe Winky deserves to make the top 10, not sure. Wins over Mosely and Trinidad are obviously huge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Interesting question.

Guys like Winky, JM Marquez, just finish outside those above imo. although maybe Winky deserves to make the top 10, not sure. Wins over Mosely and Trinidad are obviously huge.

Don't forget Winky's draw (win, IMO) vs. Taylor. Jermain has also been a top fighter in this decade, and only the Pavlik KO soils his record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by QUISQUEYA View Post
    Interesting question.

Don't forget Winky's draw (win, IMO) vs. Taylor. Jermain has also been a top fighter in this decade, and only the Pavlik KO soils his record.
    Q, You get one up and one down.

Winky is definietly one of the best, and the fact that his only two losses in this time (Vargas & Hopkins) were highly controversial. I will also say that Bernard Hopkins has either dominated his opponent or lost by a very close decision in all of his fights since 2000. He took on all comers below and above him.

Jermain Taylor Are you kidding me? Name someone of note that he fought at MWT without Hopkins or Pavlik... don't worry, I'll wait. He was pumped up by the fact that he was an Olympian and promoted by DiBella. Look at his opponents; Ouma, Spinks, Eduoard, Bunema and even Winky were all SuWelts, and out of that record, I would say he was 2-1-2. Just look at the recent Bute fight, and you will see what I mean about the quality of his wins... And I still say he lost one and drew one against Hopkins!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ArawakWarria View Post
    Interesting question.

Q, You get one up and one down.

Winky is definietly one of the best, and the fact that his only two losses in this time (Vargas & Hopkins) were highly controversial. I will also say that Bernard Hopkins has either dominated his opponent or lost by a very close decision in all of his fights since 2000. He took on all comers below and above him.

Jermain Taylor Are you kidding me? Name someone of note that he fought at MWT without Hopkins or Pavlik... don't worry, I'll wait. He was pumped up by the fact that he was an Olympian and promoted by DiBella. Look at his opponents; Ouma, Spinks, Eduoard, Bunema and even Winky were all SuWelts, and out of that record, I would say he was 2-1-2. Just look at the recent Bute fight, and you will see what I mean about the quality of his wins... And I still say he lost one and drew one against Hopkins!
    I agree Taylor is nowhere near the top 10 of the decade but I took the poster to mean that it was still a good result for Winky, which I agree it was.

Winky was very unlucky not to win that fight. Winky is borderline top 10 definitely, trouble is of the other 11 I mentioned I don't know who I'd drop to include him.

For the record guys like Cotto, Vazquez, Margarito, whilst being very good fighters don't make the top 10 either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now for the actual numbers...

If you are going to rate the best of the decade, you definitely have to give credence to the undefeated's, especiallly if they were champions through that time.

1. Joe Calzaghe
    2. Floyd Mayweather
    3. Bernard Hopkins
    4. Winky Wright
    5. Manny Pacquiao
    6. Juan Manuel Marquez
    7. Shane Mosely
    8. Miguel Cotto
    9. Erik Morales
    10. Antonio Margarito

*Like Hopkins, JMMarquez and Winky have never been beaten soundly in a fight. It has been too close to call, and then it went the other way or drew against top 5 opponents.
    *Margarito made 10th because I believe he is in his prime and will do very well over the next year or two.

Honorable mention:
    Lennox Lewis-who is still better than all of the HW's out here, but retired too soon to be ranked for the decade.

Ivan Calderon & Chris John-who are undefeated, but need the opposition to earn the rankings

Roy Jones, Jr-still one of the best who ever did it, he definitely has not been strong this decade with losses and few big name opponents. This Calzhaghe fight could literally wipe all of that away... Stay tuned.
    Last edited by ArawakWarria; 10-26-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=Bilbo;622688][quote=ArawakWarria;622663]

For the record guys like Cotto, Vazquez, Margarito, whilst being very good fighters don't make the top 10 either.

Please recognize that Cotto is definitely one of the best of this decade.
    Margarito
    Mosley
    Zab
    Quintana
    Malignaggi
    Branco
    N'Dou
    Corley
    Bailey
    Moussa
    Cesar Bazan
    Justin Juuko
    and one loss among this entire group?

These were all fought this decade... and only the last two were NOT Championship fights. Give the man some credit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=ArawakWarria;622698][quote=Bilbo;622688]

Please recognize that Cotto is definitely one of the best of this decade.
    Margarito
    Mosley
    Zab
    Quintana
    Malignaggi
    Branco
    N'Dou
    Corley
    Bailey
    Moussa
    Cesar Bazan
    Justin Juuko
    and one loss among this entire group?

These were all fought this decade... and only the last two were NOT Championship fights. Give the man some credit.

I do credit him mate it's just he's not a top 10 fighter. He's never even been the number one fighter in his division. At 140 he was rated behind Hatton and at 147 he's behind Floyd, Margarito and Williams.

If you put him in the top 10 of the last decade you have to take somebody out, and who would of the following would you drop to make way for him?

Mayweather
    Jones Jr
    Hopkins
    Pacquaio
    Barrera
    Morales
    Calzaghe
    Lennox Lewis
    Winky
    Trinidad
    Mosely
    De La Hoya
    Toney

I wouldn't put Cotto above any of them. Maybe if we are counting a decade as being this decade, i,e starting at 2000 rather than a ten year decade, i.e 1998 you could put him above a couple but certainly for me he doesn't make the top 10.

He never unified a division, he never became THE man in any division, he lost his most important fight by a devastating KO.

He doesn't rate above the others mentioned, not even close imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are going to rate the best of the decade, you definitely have to give credence to the undefeated's, especiallly if they were champions through that time.

1. Joe Calzaghe
    2. Floyd Mayweather
    3. Bernard Hopkins
    4. Winky Wright
    5. Manny Pacquiao
    6. Juan Manuel Marquez
    7. Shane Mosely
    8. Miguel Cotto
    9. Erik Morales
    10. Antonio Margarito

Arawak,

I find it, er, "curious" that you would belittle me saying that Jermain Taylor is 'a top fighter' and then you list Joe Calzaghe above Mayweather.

FMJ was on the p4p list for a decade, and at the #1 slot for four years. Has Joe ever been the Ring Mag p4p #1?

FMJ beat top fighters across FIVE different weight classes. Joe recently entered his second weight class, and few were impressed by that performance. Yes, I know. Nobody looks good vs. B-Hop. But still.

I'm going to need your help here: what has Calzaghe accomplished that Mayweather did not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jermain Taylor Are you kidding me? Name someone of note that he fought at MWT without Hopkins or Pavlik... don't worry, I'll wait.
    Five fights against the best middleweights in recent years. That is all that JT did.

2 BHop, 2 Pavlik, Winky.

KP stopped him, but JT didn't embarrass himself in that fight. He had Kelly down as well. Is JT top ten? Nah. Likely not. But he is "a top fighter" during the past decade. Without question.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Joe Calzaghe
    2. Floyd Mayweather
    3. Bernard Hopkins
    4. Winky Wright
    5. Manny Pacquiao
    6. Juan Manuel Marquez
    7. Shane Mosely
    8. Miguel Cotto
    9. Erik Morales
    10. Antonio Margarito

Arawak,

I find it, er, "curious" that you would belittle me saying that Jermain Taylor is 'a top fighter' and then you list Joe Calzaghe above Mayweather.

FMJ was on the p4p list for a decade, and at the #1 slot for four years. Has Joe ever been the Ring Mag p4p #1?

FMJ beat top fighters across FIVE different weight classes. Joe recently entered his second weight class, and few were impressed by that performance. Yes, I know. Nobody looks good vs. B-Hop. But still.

I'm going to need your help here: what has Calzaghe accomplished that Mayweather did not?
    Nice post!

Calzaghe has had a good two years in terms of opposition but not a good enough decade. Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hopkins IMO are way further ahead than Calzaghe is in a "fighter of the decade" perspective.

I'll give Calzaghe a huge amount of credit for staying undefeated throughout the decade but those other guys have better accomplishments. Mayweather also stayed undefeated BUT rose through the weight classes while fighting some BIG names, not to mention holding the P4P king spot. Pacquiao fought in the greatest featherweight era ever (Hamed, Barrera, Morales, Marquez) and came out the winning fighter and is the best P4P currently while teasing with the top spot while Mayweather was still active. Hopkins is a no brainer, beat ALL the big names, but when he loses, it's controversial. Someone can make a case for Hopkins being undefeated this decade.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you mean who has been the most consistent over the last 10 years it has to be Calzaghe, 10 years ago Jones was the best fighter p4p but for consistancy no one can match what Joe has done.

To stay at the top of his game and to beat a very good young undefeated fighter like Kessler (who will go on to prove his class) AFTER being the top dog in his division for 10 years and to piss all over him, totaly outclassing him.

If Mayweather can manage 10 years as champ in 1 weight and then after the ten years beat the best available competiton with ease (not avoiding the best fighters in certain weight classes to fight recenetly defeated)and has been names), then I would rank him higher than Joe but as it is he wont.

Mayweather wont be an undisputed or linear champ in any weight at 36, Joe was, in 2 differnt weights after being a champ undefeated for 11 years.
    Last edited by ross; 10-26-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    If you mean who has been the most consistent over the last 10 years it has to be Calzaghe, 10 years ago Jones was the best fighter p4p but for consistancy no one can match what Joe has done.

To stay at the top of his game and to beat a very good young undefeated fighter like Kessler (who will go on to prove his class) AFTER being the top dog in his division for 10 years and to piss all over him, totaly outclassing him.

If Mayweather can manage 10 years as champ in 1 weight and then after the ten years beat the best available competiton with ease (not avoiding the best fighters in certain weight classes to fight recenetly defeated)and has been names), then I would rank him higher than Joe but as it is he wont.

Mayweather wont be an undisputed or linear champ in any weight at 36, Joe was, in 2 differnt weights after being a champ undefeated for 11 years.
    Like I said before, Calzaghe gets a lot of credit for remaining undefeated in my eyes but don't get carried away here. Who has he fought in 10 years with the exception of the past two years? A bunch of fighters people barely know.

The consistency award goes to Calzaghe but taking bigger/better fights or trying to get his name out there didn't happen until his thrashing of Lacy. Joe has had a hell of a 2 years, but other fighters have done more with a longer period of time.

I don't see how Calzaghe can be ahead of Mayweather in a "fighter of a decade sense." Yea Calzaghe dominated a weight class, but not a tough class. Mayweather moved up in weight and proved to be the best fighter in each class (with the exception of welterweight because I don't think he fought the best at that class). Joe moved up one weight class and won a questionable decision over Hopkins. Had Calzaghe moved up the weight classes like Floyd, he would've been destroyed a while ago.

Don't take this as Calzaghe bashing, I'm just trying to prove my point on a Mayweather vs Calzaghe "fighter of the decade" sense. Again, Pacquiao and Hopkins is still further in my list than Calzaghe is. 2 years does not equal a decade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

Wait a minute. You are giving more credit to the guy who stays undefeated at ONE weight class than you give to the guy who moves up and consistently fought BIGGER opponents? That doesn't quite seem right. The most "consistent" thing about JC was his refusal to come to America to fight top comp.

Mayweather COULD have stayed at LW and dominated that division to this day. He didn't move up because of weight problems. He fights at WW weighing less than the guys at LW/JWW. Keep in mind that he had already beaten the guys who went on to dominate the LW division: Corrales and Castillo. The only guy he missed is Casamayor.

Let's do a quick recap:

130: Hernandez, Corrales (the best guys)
    135: Castillo 2x (the best guy)
    140: Hatton (the best guy, though the fight was at 147)
    147: Judah (a top 5 guy at the time)
    154: Delahoya (one of the best 2-3 guys)

So, in truth, PBF beat the best guys at THREE weight divisions. Possibly FOUR. Concur?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love Calzaghe, the guy is a legend, but he's not even close to Floyd over the last decade.

Truth be told I'd put Pacquaio above him for the whole decade too. Knocking out Barrera and Morales plus a win over Marquez and world titles in 3 weight classes.

He fought everybody and beat them all.

Thread Information