Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe says the Froch fight May happen

Joe Calzaghe is confident

Sunday November 2,2008
    By Niall Hickman

Joe Calzaghe has finally admitted a ‘Battle of Britain’ could go ahead, if both he and Carl Froch win their respective fights before the New Year.

Calzaghe faces Roy Jones Jnr in the small hours of next Sunday morning at New York’s Madison Square Garden.

The Welshman has promised to retire from boxing afterwards but now insists he could be willing to delay hanging up his gloves to fight Froch.

Nottingham hero Froch tackles Jean Pascal for the WBC super-middleweight title on December 6 and an impressive victory could trigger a massive all-British showdown, possibly in Cardiff.

“I don’t think there is anything out there for me to prove any longer, but I think you should never say never in boxing,” said Calzaghe. “If Froch wins then who knows? I don’t think he is in my league as a fighter but he would have the WBC title and that is an honour. He’s decent but he has a very stand-up style and he’s easy to hit. He would be beaten, just like every fighter I’ve ever faced.”

Until now Calzaghe has been adamant the Jones fight would be his last, but now the door is ajar for Froch to face the ‘Pride of Wales.’

Nottingham Forest fanatic Froch, 30, would not flinch at going to Cardiff to for the big clash. “I’d be there like a shot,” he said. “My style is made to beat Calzaghe. I’d end his unbeaten run and send him into retirement. Everyone gets old eventually and Calzaghe, as his last performance against Bernard Hopkins showed, is getting past it.”

Calzaghe is hoping for win No 46 against Jones, an American sporting icon, but now 39 years of age and past his absolute prime.

“It’s a huge fight for me and it’s the first time I’ve appeared at Madison Square Garden,” said Calzaghe. “That’s motivation enough. I’d have loved to have fought Jones many years ago but this is still unfinished business.

“He is the only opponent out there who can give me a battle at light-heavyweight and yet, after beating Bernard Hopkins after stepping up from super-middle, I’m even more confident in my ability.

“Roy Jones likes to be a showman and he likes to dazzle which will play right into my hands. At least he won’t bore to tears everyone like Hopkins does. Jones comes to win and so do I which means it is going to be a terrific match-up.”

Former middle, super-middle, light-heavy and heavyweight world champion Jones is in the twilight of his career.

But after three straight losses in 2004 and 2005 he has recovered with three straight wins and in his last outing he delivered a near-perfect display in beating the once-great Felix Trinidad on points in January.

And Jones is supremely confident that he has the weapons to beat Calzaghe.

“I don’t have to match Joe’s output. I just have to find the punch to knock him out. I’ll win the fight – no question. I’m not certainhow, but I’m going to win it.

“Hopkins was too cautious with Calzaghe and that was his goal, to stay upright. My job is to come out of there with a victory.”

Lets hope both men win their next fights and hopefully we can see this fight happening. I was unsure at the start that this fight would happen because I was pretty set on JC retireing if he beat RJJ. But he must still have a bit of hunger left in him, I think he will have his hands full against Froch and he shouldnt underestimate him in the slightest. Carl Froch would be the hardest hitting fighter hes ever fought IMO and if he says hes lacking motivation and only is fighting for the money...Carl Froch is the complete opposite. Hatton-Tszyu anyone?

I think Carl can upset the odds if he beats Pascal on 6th December, I think hes a lot more hungry than JC at this stage of both of their careers and I wouldnt be surprised if Froch can upset the odds

Froch Ko late rounds IMO.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe says the Froch fight May happen

CmonI'm a Froch fan myself but it would be a massive upset were he to KO Calzaghe.

That simply is not going to happen......

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why not though ? Carl hasnt ever really came against sombody who can hit as hard as Froch. Lacy's power is overrated, it was rated so highly by the Americans because they wanted JC to be scared of him. JC will have constant pressure on him for 12 rounds and he has been caught before. Carl is awesome at finishing fights off, I admit he is big underdog here, but I can see an upset happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive mentioned this before not soo long ago,that all Froch has to do if he beat Pascal is to call out Calzaghe LIVE on t.v straight after the fight with Pascal and if Calzaghe remains undefeated then Calzaghe will give us brits and the rest of the world a great match up with Froch!It would be a AWESOME fight for sure.I hope it happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe would definitely eat canvas against Froch. He can bang with both hands and is very effective and strong when countering. Not super quick, but he makes that up with accuracy.

Would Joe lose though? not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clanger View Post
    Calzaghe would definitely eat canvas against Froch. He can bang with both hands and is very effective and strong when countering. Not super quick, but he makes that up with accuracy.

Would Joe lose though? not sure.
    Calzaghe has a great chin and to say that he will definitely hit the canvas is stupid.I see Calzaghe taking a wide UD as he would pepper Froch's face with his hand speed and get out of range,as Froch is defence is poor.But CF will always have a punchers chance.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its a win, win for Froch...

big money fight and when he has lost no one would be that hard on him.

what Joe gets out of it i aint sure ?

maybe a nice massive easy UK fight to bow out on.

I like Froch, good talent, good power, good chin, only weakness is a leaky defence so why not get it on for the UK public.

Joe win via KO rd 4 for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch better hope Calzaghe doesn't take a fight with him.

Unless he wants to get exposed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch's team have already offered Calzaghe £5million for this fight to happen.I mentioned that last week.Thats great money win or lose!!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd rather see this fight for Calzaghe than anyother in boxing now. Apart from a rematch with Hopkins (which will probably be semi-shit again) there's no other appealing fights for him.

And if a guy that needed an 11th round KO to secure victory over Brian Magee, can BEAT Calzaghe (barring he knocks him spark out ) i'll never watch boxing again. Fact.
    Last edited by Fenster; 11-02-2008 at 04:52 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is Froch the new Pavlik?

I've seen nothing about Froch that leads me to think that he would have a chance against Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I'd rather see this fight for Calzaghe than anyother in boxing now. Apart from a rematch with Hopkins (which will probably be semi-shit again) there's no other appealing fights for him.

And if a guy that needed an 11th round KO to secure victory over Brian Magee, can BEAT Calzaghe (barring he knocks him spark out ) i'll never watch boxing again. Fact.
    Brian Magee was a big strong southpaw. Wheras Ashira was a midget from light-middleweight.

Calzaghe and Froch break both their hands, yet Froch puts Magee to sleep and into a semi-coma. I think magee is Euro-level and to pull that off with a broken thumb takes some balls. If he didnt break it, then i think round 5 or 6 and Magee would have been killed.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im fed up of reading Tams craap about Froch and anyone elses that think hes any good

The man hasnt fought anyone with power to prove he has a good chin and if you are basing his good chin on the amount of punches landed on it so far by mediocre opponents than that doesnt bode well for him in a Calzaghe match up.

Who has he fought and stopped that had a proven chin? Thee only person I can think of is Reid and hed been dropped a few times by Lacy 2 years before hand.

I think Joe just said this and not meant it, imagine yourself in Joes shoes right now, your the best in and around your weight, your fighting a legend, youve earned your money, after years at the top youve finally got your recognition and the man that you supposedly struggled with has just completly piissed all over your biggest percieved threat, the only fight that you may have been considering after this one.

Froch is completely unknown to the TV audience, he has no belts, he is nowhere near the p4p rankings, he has no decent, eye catching performances to whet the publics appetite for a match, hes 31 and hasnt fought a world rated fighter yet.

If warren was miffed at having to let Joe fight Veit a second time, a Froch matchup wouldnt even cross his mind, it would make no money at all and would prove nothing for Joe, if he beat Froch as easy as he should do then whats he done? Hes beaten someone with no world pedigree or experience, big deal!!

Froch was offered this fight just before Joe beat kessler, Froch shiit his pants and hid behind his promoter.

There was a video clip from a telly interview with Froch where the interviewer phoned Calzaghe and handed the phone to Froch, Carl went very quiet and with a bemused look on his face and a shaky voice he asked Joe to fight him, Joe told him its all about money and Froch had no answer because he knows hes not a star or a draw oir even relevant in any big fight match ups

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clanger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Brian Magee was a big strong southpaw. Wheras Ashira was a midget from light-middleweight.

Calzaghe and Froch break both their hands, yet Froch puts Magee to sleep and into a semi-coma. I think magee is Euro-level and to pull that off with a broken thumb takes some balls. If he didnt break it, then i think round 5 or 6 and Magee would have been killed.
    Yes.. Magee is Euro-level. But he has a dodgy chin, and average at best power.

Fair enough Froch done his thumb.. but it didn't stop him from throwing - and he needed the KO to gaurantee the win. Calzaghe dominated Ashira with one hand. Big difference.

And I'd expect Calzaghe (dodgy hands or not) to slaughter Magee inside 4 rounds.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Im fed up of reading Tams craap about Froch and anyone elses that think hes any good

The man hasnt fought anyone with power to prove he has a good chin and if you are basing his good chin on the amount of punches landed on it so far by mediocre opponents than that doesnt bode well for him in a Calzaghe match up.

Who has he fought and stopped that had a proven chin? Thee only person I can think of is Reid and hed been dropped a few times by Lacy 2 years before hand.

I think Joe just said this and not meant it, imagine yourself in Joes shoes right now, your the best in and around your weight, your fighting a legend, youve earned your money, after years at the top youve finally got your recognition and the man that you supposedly struggled with has just completly piissed all over your biggest percieved threat, the only fight that you may have been considering after this one.

Froch is completely unknown to the TV audience, he has no belts, he is nowhere near the p4p rankings, he has no decent, eye catching performances to whet the publics appetite for a match, hes 31 and hasnt fought a world rated fighter yet.

If warren was miffed at having to let Joe fight Veit a second time, a Froch matchup wouldnt even cross his mind, it would make no money at all and would prove nothing for Joe, if he beat Froch as easy as he should do then whats he done? Hes beaten someone with no world pedigree or experience, big deal!!

Froch was offered this fight just before Joe beat kessler, Froch shiit his pants and hid behind his promoter.

There was a video clip from a telly interview with Froch where the interviewer phoned Calzaghe and handed the phone to Froch, Carl went very quiet and with a bemused look on his face and a shaky voice he asked Joe to fight him, Joe told him its all about money and Froch had no answer because he knows hes not a star or a draw oir even relevant in any big fight match ups
    well make sure your watching the Pascal fight because your going to see carl at his best. Carl has never ever been down EVER! I dont even think in the amatuers, but im not 100% sure of that. Hes been ducked heavily and its not his fault, Inkin the chicken pulled out twice. He has built himself to this momment and he will win the belt on dec 6th, mark my words!

The fight couldnt be agreed, but now a decent offer would be placed on the table its buyable for both men.

How was he scared ? what are you actually talking about? Froch WOULD fight JC there is nothing more to stay about it.

Froch isnt unknown in the UK though and thats where the fight will be aired and if Froch gets a good win against Pascal he will have good recognition for that and will attract people to watch the fight.

As I have said to you many times Ross its a waiting game, but I will just letting the people know. Im not repeating myself like I do on every Froch thread which you comment on. Ill hold my hands up and agree with you if he gets beaten by Pascal, im not going to be making excuses for him.

Thread Information