Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should taller fighters throw Overhand Rights? Why or why not?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should taller fighters throw Overhand Rights? Why or why not?

Quote Originally Posted by mrodub View Post
    I am not talking about throwing it all night i am talking about using it against a worn down opponant or to finish off a man i have said this over and over.
    In the oriniganl post he asked about an overhand right so i am not sure what you mean in your last post Trainer Monkey will you post again please because i dont understand thanks
    It feels so good in the ring, guys tend to over use it.
    But since it lands so rarely, your blowing your steam
    I mean if its wide screaming open, you take the shot thats available, but really thats a shot if your the taller fighter you get like every 3rd fight at best, so its not a good shot to concentrate on. But guys will fall in love with it, and get their selves in to trouble for it, because it feels like Christmas Morning when you land it. Ive seen way too many fighters gas out, or get popped when they didnt need to because of that looping overhand cross, Id rather see the tight cross, if you put your hips behind a tight cross, you dont need that big looping mess of a punch. Theres just no point to that punch,except requesting to get countered, and requesting to be tired by the second round. I mean maybe as a finisher for a guy the ref should have stopped a minute earlier,but thats all it is.
    It looks good on camera,but it isnt good buisness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hear what your saying so maybe the issue is not the shot but the disipline about when to use it.As for it being useless the last three heavyweight champs would disagree

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Done properly with good Technique, its one of the Best Shots there is in certain situations.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrodub View Post
    I hear what your saying so maybe the issue is not the shot but the disipline about when to use it.As for it being useless the last three heavyweight champs would disagree
    Bingo,that was what I was going for,it gets overused so often its sad. You should only be throwing that punch maybe once or twice in a fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get told to throw it after every body rip or uppercut, seems to land pretty often when I throw it. Although I really do not throw it with a large loop, rather just bring my elbow out a lot earlier than a normal straight right.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I get told to throw it after every body rip or uppercut, seems to land pretty often when I throw it. Although I really do not throw it with a large loop, rather just bring my elbow out a lot earlier than a normal straight right.
    If you check my posts, theres a difference between a tight overhand cross,and a big looping overhand cross. In all honesty, the mechanics of both shots are so different, they should be considered different punches. One is a quick snap and drive, the other is more like throwing a baseball

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    If you check my posts, theres a difference between a tight overhand cross,and a big looping overhand cross. In all honesty, the mechanics of both shots are so different, they should be considered different punches. One is a quick snap and drive, the other is more like throwing a baseball
    Like the windmill punch? No one should ever throw a windmill, ever.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Like the windmill punch? No one should ever throw a windmill, ever.
    While I dont teach it,and heavily discourage it, some guys can time it well enough to get away with it,and be effective with it.
    I dont feel as vehemently about that punch as I do about a pawing jab, but I sure as heck dont like the risk/reward ratio on it for a taller guy.
    A pawing jab on the other hand, everybody in my gym knows that if I so much as see one,Ill kill you myself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hahaha, so what exactly do you mean by a pawing jab?

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hahaha, so what exactly do you mean by a pawing jab?
    That little tentative paw out to try and find range. I bark that order constantly, if your going to throw it,throw it. Its not even a real jab its just thrown from a jab position,Tarver throws the thing constantly, Part of why Hopkins whupped his ass is because he thwarted it by punching Tarvers hand every time he did it. Everybody who's ever trained here, knows I loathe that b-s. If you throw your arm past your body, you might as well have some mustard on it. I have never seen the point of it, its easy to thwart.
    Thus the rule of the gym,I see one,I kill you myself

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it works great against a shorter fighter, especially when you start timing their jab. The movement knocks their jab off course and allows your overhand right to connect perfectly as they walk in, does some great damage.
    What your saying isnt a looping shot though is it?

For a big bloke to use it against a short bloke, an angled fist with elbow down as in a straight shot over the top of their jab from over the top of their elbow point can do that nicley with less of an opening left.

The overhand bomb leaves alot of space as its a looping shot over their bicep or shoulder , I think its better suited to if you have ducked and gone under the arm; or switched feet and threw over the top of what was comming at you as you switched, or pin the jab or even knock the jab with your lead and come over it with your rear arm (like Kt would do ,measure with the ariel and then come over it or through it once it had covered his intention.) All suited more to the same size opponents or shorter or for fighters with flexable legs who can roll, move and shoot in one action.
    Last edited by Andre; 11-07-2008 at 05:28 AM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I think it works great against a shorter fighter, especially when you start timing their jab. The movement knocks their jab off course and allows your overhand right to connect perfectly as they walk in, does some great damage.

For a big bloke to use it against a short bloke, an angled fist with elbow down as in a straight shot over the top of their jab from over the top of their elbow point can do that nicley with less of an opening left.

The overhand bomb leaves alot of space as its a looping shot over their bicep or shoulder , I think its better suited to if you have ducked and gone under the arm; or switched feet and threw over the top of what was comming at you as you switched, or pin the jab or even knock the jab with your lead and come over it with your rear arm (like Kt would do ,measure with the ariel and then come over it or through it once it had covered his intention.) All suited more to the same size opponents or shorter or for fighters with flexable legs who can roll, move and shoot in one action.
    I remember seeing a clip of Pac doing something like this. He rolled under a left hook while throwing his overhand left and stepping out to the right. Was an awesome maneuver, but I doubt many people if anyone could pull it off regularly.

I should have read the posts better, but thats what I was taught was an overhand right, so just assumed that what he was talking about.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not sure whats ment either, to be honest mate; but overhand right has me thinking about a looping shot over an arm.
    Pac does some great things on the move,I think I've seen that one you mention.
    Roy when he ko'd (Glen ?) that time with his hands behind his back,duck and move and then swipe to the temple ,was a simular type of move but very extended and in longer stages.
    Great finish anyway,as are most shots that unexpectantly rise up over a shot that already been throw and missed it target cause they are still comming at the stage.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Me and Andre are on the same page here, but Im going to add again, the tendency to overuse the looper. On the rare occasions it lands(Ive thrown it,everyone has at some point) it feels swwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeettttttttt.
    And once something gets good to a boxer its hard to get them to go with their own self preservation over their animal instincts. The animal says, "It felt good to drill someone that hard in combat" your brain should be saying "You know,I got really lucky throwing that stupid punch"
    Once it lands for you for the first time, it feels so good, your going to want to do it again.
    One of the things in any form of combat,is to tell yourself, "Its a great story, but remember to never do that again"
    An illustration using the medieval combat I used to do.
    Its crown tourney
    I pull a fight with one of the best fighters the SCA has ever seen.
    I take a point of honor against him (Id technically wounded him so he went to his knees because of a legal blow to the legs) so I wounded myself to end up on my knees with him.i.e taking a point of honor
    I hear him say in no uncertain words ,"You arrogant son of a bitch"
    I got him on one of his own shots,I cocked my shield and did a thrust shot from behind it,even he was suprised.
    If you knew the SCA, that would be a great story. But I dont think Id ever try that again, because if you replayed the scenario 10 more times,I get smoked 10 for 10 trying that.
    Yeah it worked that day, but I had the common sense to not even try that routine again, it was just a stupid lucky shot
    Ive had the looping overhand cross land for me in the ring,and while it makes for a great story,I wouldnt make my bread and butter off it. Because 10 of 10 the rest of the time you get your ass handed to you for even trying it.

And because posts like this makes Ices head hurt,bro, look up the Society For Creative Anachronisms and it will make a little more sense. I did that for a very long time, and even bring techniques in from it to get my fighters moving their hips better,and it almost allways works, guys will go from hitting like girls to taking peoples heads off almost over night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not sure whats ment either, to be honest mate; but overhand right has me thinking about a looping shot over an arm.
    Pac does some great things on the move,I think I've seen that one you mention.
    Roy when he ko'd (Glen ?) that time with his hands behind his back,duck and move and then swipe to the temple ,was a simular type of move but very extended and in longer stages.
    Great finish anyway,as are most shots that unexpectantly rise up over a shot that already been throw and missed it target cause they are still comming at the stage.
    Theres a crisp cross, and then theres the windmill overhand,it read to me that the original poster meant the windmill overhand,I mean maybe I got it wrong, but it was how it read to me

Thread Information