Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Should taller fighters throw Overhand Rights? Why or why not?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Should taller fighters throw Overhand Rights? Why or why not?

I've been wondering about whether or not taller fighters should use the Overhand Right when boxing. I know for a fact that the Overhand Right is a VERY powerful tool that combines the motions of a hook and a cross together in one, fluid motion. The typical target of the Overhand Right is the temple on the head, a key K.O. region when hit properly. I know a lot of shorter fighters use it on taller boxers, because the taller boxers usually never see it coming. It would be diffucult for a shorter boxer to throw a straight Cross upwards, which decreases the power.

However, I wonder if the Overhand Right is a good punch for taller fighters. Taller fighter typically do well with the Cross, but I wonder if the Overhand right is well suited to the taller fighter. That's my question, which is more effective for a taller fighter, the straight Cross or the Overhand right, and why you believe so. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should taller fighters throw Overhand Rights? Why or why not?

You cant generelise but it was Lenox Lewis best punch after his jab in my opnion but it depends on the fighter you have to be comfoatable with a shot for it to work and if you are comforatable tsll or short it will work bacause you will adapt and make it work
    I am only 5'11 and i weigh 240lbs and my jab is one of my best punches that defeys logic cause i am so short for a heavyweight but i make i work cause i am comforatabe with the shot.
    So i believe there is no yes or no to this question it depends on the fighter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No
    Its a waste of energy,waste of defense shot for a signifigantly taller fighter to throw.
    A tight cross is fine.But a looping overhand cross is a waste of your time and energy. Admit ably it only has to land once,but you take too much damage in the course of setting it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    No
    Its a waste of energy,waste of defense shot for a signifigantly taller fighter to throw.
    A tight cross is fine.But a looping overhand cross is a waste of your time and energy. Admit ably it only has to land once,but you take too much damage in the course of setting it up.
    I have to disagree it depends on how comforatable the fighter is with the shot as i said go onto you tube are look at lennox lewis highlights it was a devastating shot in the later rounds or against a fighter that was worn down he just used it when he felt it was safe and there would be no come back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it works great against a shorter fighter, especially when you start timing their jab. The movement knocks their jab off course and allows your overhand right to connect perfectly as they walk in, does some great damage.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a punch I use often, and especially against a slightly shorter fighter. And exactly as Salty describes.

I basically try to pin a guy in the corner applying pressure, then wait and watch his feet or legs for a balance shift, signally he`s making a move out punch...then just release. He is usually throwing a left...but sometimes a right. Either way..I basically just unload an overhand right, or straight right as soon as I notice the shift in weight beginning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I think it works great against a shorter fighter, especially when you start timing their jab. The movement knocks their jab off course and allows your overhand right to connect perfectly as they walk in, does some great damage.
    The question was based in a way that asked,"Whats the hard fast rule" and thats the hard fast rule,the shorter guy needs a bit more oomph on his punch.
    But its a major energy wasting punch, and leaves you screamingly open when you throw it.For the taller fighter,your better off with a nice tight cross instead of the looping cross. Just because Lennox Lewis got away with it,doesnt mean you will
    Theres a reason he's Lennox Lewis, and your not
    I dont use Ali fights for training purposes, for the same reason, Ali could do things that most fighters couldnt even conceive of getting away with. I love watching his fights, but their worthless for training purposes

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    What your saying isnt a looping shot though is it?

For a big bloke to use it against a short bloke, an angled fist with elbow down as in a straight shot over the top of their jab from over the top of their elbow point can do that nicley with less of an opening left.

The overhand bomb leaves alot of space as its a looping shot over their bicep or shoulder , I think its better suited to if you have ducked and gone under the arm; or switched feet and threw over the top of what was comming at you as you switched, or pin the jab or even knock the jab with your lead and come over it with your rear arm (like Kt would do ,measure with the ariel and then come over it or through it once it had covered his intention.) All suited more to the same size opponents or shorter or for fighters with flexable legs who can roll, move and shoot in one action.
    Last edited by Andre; 11-07-2008 at 05:28 AM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information