Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fighter of Year Right Now?

Fans are starting to talk about “Fighter of the Year.” I think Pavlik blew his shot against Bernard Hopkins who blew his against Calzaghe. Antonio Margorito’s name has been prominent. “The Tijuana Tornado” did a number on the rugged Miguel Cotto and Kermit Cintron. And then, of course, there is Manny Pacquiao who has won two big ones so far this year. In the unlikely event he whips Oscar in December, he becomes a slam dunk for the award in my opinion.

If Calzaghe becomes a true “Legend Killer” by beating both Hopkins and Jones in 2008, he becomes bona fide contender, but if Jones beats both Joe and Tito Trinidad in the same year, well, who knows what might happen when the ballots are cast?

But wait, what about Vic “The Raging Bull” Darchinyan, who has fought three times this year showing tremendous improvement with new discipline and focus.

Antonio might well get it, but if I were casting a vote TODAY, it would go to the “Raging Bull” out of Australia by way of Armenia.

Who would you vote for-today?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighter of Year Right Now?

Tough one. If Pac beats ODH, it's got to be him. As it stands right now, I'd probably go with either Margarito, Calzaghe, or Hopkins.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Tough one. If Pac beats ODH, it's got to be him. As it stands right now, I'd probably go with either Margarito, Calzaghe, or Hopkins.
    Pac def gets it if he beats Oscar. If Calzaghe beats Jones that's also pretty sweet year on paper. Hopkins has a loss to Calzaghe even if people think he won. A loss is still a loss and Fighter of the Year needs to be winning that year. Hopkins def wins performance of the year though.

Margarito is fighter of the year at this point though. Pac and Calzaghe need wins to pass him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacman if he beats Oscar.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Vic the Vulture does deserve mention, IMO he should have got the nod against Gorres. Thats 3 good wins in 08 for Vic the prick.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't count out ODLH, he could just give it to himself if he beats Pac.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bhop.
    "...went 12 rounds with Ali, and never took a backwards step."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hopkins for me unless manny wins then its both of them

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    Well Vic the Vulture does deserve mention, IMO he should have got the nod against Gorres. Thats 3 good wins in 08 for Vic the prick.
    Yep; it's no contest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins? with one win over a guy two weight classes below him gets fighter of the year? That would be a shame. Much props to him for taking care of Pavlik, but seriously, not that much..

Vic is definate candidate. Don't forget the people Mijares took out before stepping through the ropes with Vic.

Marg hasn't been active enough to earn this IMO.

Pacman takes it away by longshot with a win, and Calz is next if Pac loses.

But let's wait and see if Steve Forbes can get another fight in before the end of the year and shake up the SWW division..
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem for the Raging Bull is he had a draw earlier in the year. That blemish will probably keep him from getting the nod even though it was close and against a quality fighter.

If Pac beats De La Hoya, it goes to him hands down. Winning the Ring championship at 130 versus Marquez, then winning a title in his 5th weight class, then beating a bigger man two weight classes up...couldn't argue with that. Three wins between 130-147 pounds.

If Pac loses, I think it will go to Margarito or Calzaghe (if he beats Jones). Jones would have an outside shot with a win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if pac wins then its him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ClubberLang View Post
    The problem for the Raging Bull is he had a draw earlier in the year. That blemish will probably keep him from getting the nod even though it was close and against a quality fighter.

If Pac beats De La Hoya, it goes to him hands down. Winning the Ring championship at 130 versus Marquez, then winning a title in his 5th weight class, then beating a bigger man two weight classes up...couldn't argue with that. Three wins between 130-147 pounds.

If Pac loses, I think it will go to Margarito or Calzaghe (if he beats Jones). Jones would have an outside shot with a win.
    It really wasn't that close I'd say vic won by 2-3 rounds, and they didnt score a knockdown, that would have given him the SD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It really wasn't that close I'd say vic won by 2-3 rounds, and they didnt score a knockdown, that would have given him the SD.
    There were some close rounds in there, IMO, but in any case I'm thinking along the lines of which way most voters and publications will think and I doubt they pick someone who had a blemish on his record within the year.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There were some close rounds in there, IMO, but in any case I'm thinking along the lines of which way most voters and publications will think and I doubt they pick someone who had a blemish on his record within the year.

The latest is the greatest!

Thread Information