Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default training/diet help

Hi everyone, let me first say you have a great site here, i've been lurking for a few weeks now and there is endless info here.

Before i ask my questions, here is a little bit of background on me.
    I am 20 years old right now i weight about 178lbs, but i have plenty to lose. I wrestled through high school for 5 years and my lean weight my senior year was about 158 or so. Because i wrestled i know how to push myself to get to new levels. As for height, about 5'11".

Now my problem is i boxed for about 5 months (twice a week at a gym) nothing serious, no sparing, just simple fitness and some technique work on focus mits. That was over a year ago, my funds ran low, and the gym moved about 45 minutes away, and it is still the closest gym. I decided your only young once and i want to pick boxing back up, but money and driving distance (with work and all) won't permit me to go to the gym often enough.

What I ask you is for a solution. I have gloves, focus mits, jump ropes, dumbells, BUT no punching bags. My goal is to get back in shape, get my weight down, and get some basics down before i get to the gym. I am currently on a low calorie high protein diet ( 1300-1500 calories per day, 80-120 grams avg. protein per day) to help me lose fat and gain muscle.
    I have 7 days a week to play with, so can you all help me design a workout plan at home that will build my aerobic, anerobic, muscular systems, and build on some basics?
    Also, if you feel there is a better diet to lose weight and build muscle let me know please. I want to start competing in amatuer's once i get back into it and i think middleweight (165 pounds i think) is a good goal that will have me lean but not dead. Thanks for the help in advance.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: training/diet help

Welcome to Saddos and the training section!

I would for starters consider having a look through some of our training logs, to give you ideas of programs we use...or have in the past. Also, the bodyweight thread is loaded with great stuff in it. Lots of info. and links to info. around here...but at times it is can hard to find it all. As well, the Important and Useful posts section has loads of great stuff.

When I have more time, I could try to throw together a few ideas for a workout plan for you. I would also suggest you look into making a training log for yourself. It is a great way to keep things in perspective and chronical your progress.

Again, welcome!
    Last edited by Youngblood; 11-08-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the warm welcome, finally a response, lol. I'm definately going to be researching more and more on this site the info is endless. I think i will make a log as soon as I get a plan together.

Due to my lack of weights, i think my workout will mainly have to be bodyweight workouts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by theonecalledtodd View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome, finally a response, lol. I'm definately going to be researching more and more on this site the info is endless. I think i will make a log as soon as I get a plan together.

Due to my lack of weights, i think my workout will mainly have to be bodyweight workouts.
    Welcome mate, YB has given you the majority of advice that I am able to give. But one thing is the calorie intake sounds too low, your the same height as me but a bit heavier and my basal metabolic rate is 1600 calories, below that puts your body in starvation mode. So I wouldn't go below 1700 if I were you and if you want to increase the deficit just up the intensity of your workouts rather than cutting food too drastically. After all if you kill yourself too soon your going to burn yourself out

Also don't worry about not having a punching bag, I think the best thing you can do when training on your own is shadow boxing in front of the mirror. So many times at the gym you see new guys just trying to hit the bag as hard as possible, which stuffs up your technique and gives you minimal benefit. Plus you get to see how you look from your oppositions point of view. Most of all, have fun with it mate, it's a great sport, there is so much info on this site to help your development and fitness.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks for the welcome and the intensity is definately getting turned up i have the police academy in about 2 months and i want to be able to make their workouts look like childs play. haha. Yes, your right about the calories being too low, after reading back through my college books (i knew i shouldv'e payed more attention in human anatomy/nuitrition) that is too low a number for me. Anyways, thanks for the advice ill keep on reading and once i get something solid down, ill post up a log for you all to criticise

Thread Information