Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 12 yrs ago this day.Benn/Holyfield go opposite ways

I was sitting here today and doing the Sunday afternoon ritual of re-watching the big card from the previous night.I have never been a big Roy Jones Jr. fan to say the least throughout the years but at the same time Ive come to realize and appreciate the man's emmense talent.I had a feeling that last night would be an uphill battle for him as the recent years have shown slight deterioration.It was about around the 7th round that I found myself having that sinking feeling you get when someone that you are so familiar with in the sport appears to be in serious trouble....dispair and frankly feeling a bit bad for him.He was fighting in a manner foreign to him during his prime,walking straight in behind a very high guard,soaking up damage in the hopes of snapping off one duplicate type shot that had deposited Calzaghe onto the mat in the 1st round.It was not to be,he was operating on heart,even whooping at Calzaghe,talking himself through while sitting in the corner but never quitting though it was clear...he was not choosing to "not commit,or try" but that simply put,he could not!Every fighter runs the risk of reaching a point when it is no longer unobtainable.In no other sport is it so glaringly obvious and open for all to witness on an individual basis.And then It struck me in kind.

As fans we invest more than money and time into following this great sport.We invest some very real & sincere emotions.Comradely,anger,sadness,bewilderment, are experienced as it is more than just a sporting event for one night,a fighters career is a constant continuum of ups & downs.Victory's & defeats that can really take you for a ride.

Twelve years ago this very night on November 9th 1996 I watched back to back occasions in which two off my all time favorite fighters went in opposite directions,one for good.Evander Holyfield and Nigel Benn.I had first seen Nigel Benn one sat. or Sun. afternoon come over to the States and wreak havoc in brutal fashion on a very durable & respected Doug Dewitt.He displayed the fierce attributes that can only be admired in all fighters.Tenacious,filled with self belief...some call that arrogance Lol.He sold out on what brought him to the dance....power & confidence.I was hooked from that point.He came back to go to hell & back with Iran Barkley in the sum of one round.I was sitting at a friend's house watching that one and while everyone in the room shouted and yelled "He cheated,bullshit,Go back to England ya queer,he should have been DQ'd"I sat there with a grin......I liked Barkley but I had never seen a guy I knew absolutely nothing about come out of no where in such a bombastic,explosive manner.It was early for me as far as watching boxing and Benn was cemented in my following.Just as fast as he had come in,he went back to the Homeland.I read in a paper and an Issue of Boxing Illustrated about his battle with Eubanks and being TKO'd.Not being able to see any of his fights ,(No internet,no cable,etc) you sort of loose touch.One day I'm tuning into Univision,used to be a sensational network airing international fights during the afternoon,and what do you know....Thay were airing (tape delayed) Benn vs. Galvano 1......he was back in all of his destructive glory and shortly there after SHOWTIME had picked him up with Don King promotions.He bounced Lou Gent out like a yo-yo,battled rival Eubanks to a heated draw (thought he won it),He was showing adjustments with more boxing vs. Wharton and then that tragic meeting with power house McClellan.He was expected by many to fold,to get sparked out....he won,we all know the story.It was impossible for him to escape what had happened but not in any manner as bad as the promising and formidable G-Man.He returned to bludgeon Vincente Nardiello who liked him so much he planted kisses on Benn's cheek prior to Benn planting his fist on Nardiellos jaw.Scored a TKO over late sub Danny Perez,seemed off though and then he met former rival Malinga who had lost a hotly disputed call in 92.Malinga proceeded to out maneuver,out fox & out box Benn.Benn seemed reluctant and could not sustain with effect.It was clear he was on his way out and it all culminated in his final fight and defeat on November 9th against Stevie Collins for the 2nd time.It aired on ESPN 2 on tape delay as I remember and it was every bit hard to watch.Benn had nothing,He was going through the motions landing an occasional crack but in the 6th,he turned and waved,He was Done.It sat heavy with me.At first you feel hugely let down mixed with bruised pride.It is a part of his career,his history but by no means does it reflect him as the entire story.Remember the good.

Pretty wordy on this one,just sort of rambling on.In contrast that same night,Evander Holyfield went in against Mike Tyson and proceeded to pull off what many considered a huge upset against all odds.He was thought to be shot up after Bowe starched him almost exactly one year prior in explosive fashion.He returned against a blown up Bobby Czyz and beat him from pillar to post,but Czyz was anything if not a resilient fireplug and it began to cast many doubts as to what Holyfields chances were against Tyson.Commentators openly questioned Holyfields "Mind" and the people in his camp that would let him go in against a still very threatening Tyson.Even The editors at Ring Magazine predicted Holyfield as having no chance.They wrote that Tyson would KO him in 1 round ??Well,Evander fought the fight of his life and gave me one of my best memories.He shined that 12 years ago tonight,scoring a blisstering 11th round TKO.We may not be effected in such a physical manner as the fighters we watch but let their be no doubt that we feel the highs & lows.

May have gone off track,just running on here.This night stands out big as a fan for me.Sorry for the phone book post/thread.Jones/Calzaghe had me thinking outloud
    Last edited by Spicoli; 11-10-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 12 yrs ago this day.Benn/Holyfield go opposite ways

I wish there'd be programmes that showed random fights from different parts of the world, I doubt it would cost much and I'd sure as hell watch them. We occasionally get that ESPN 2 Teddy Atlas show a week later, and sometims some German/French fights on Eurosport but that's it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember this night all too well .

Had travelled over to Manchester (its only 49 mile from Leeds so this isn't as major trek as it sounds !) for the Benn Collins fight and though I didn't join in the boos at the end, as many started to boo Benn, I was gutted and angry that he had quit on his stool in such a manner.

Lets not forget he also turned his back on Collins in the first bout after a suspected ankle injury. I admired Collins that night for seizing the microphone when the boos started and defending Nigel Benn saying how he knew he wasn't the fighter he was two years before and that it should have happened then - also said as you do that Benn should be remembered for everything he had achieved.

In hindsight now I only remember the good things about Nigel Benn.

This night is also memorable for me that after a few beers I fell asleep as Holyfield and Tyson were coming out and woke up an hour or so later to a slow motion replay of the end....
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
    I wish there'd be programmes that showed random fights from different parts of the world, I doubt it would cost much and I'd sure as hell watch them. We occasionally get that ESPN 2 Teddy Atlas show a week later, and sometims some German/French fights on Eurosport but that's it.
    Thanks for the reply mate.Seems as though the National shows are becoming less over here as well.At times its a bit desperate in searching for any live action.Might come a time when I have to get back to trading/purchasing fights just to keep up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I remember this night all too well .

Had travelled over to Manchester (its only 49 mile from Leeds so this isn't as major trek as it sounds !) for the Benn Collins fight and though I didn't join in the boos at the end, as many started to boo Benn, I was gutted and angry that he had quit on his stool in such a manner.

Lets not forget he also turned his back on Collins in the first bout after a suspected ankle injury. I admired Collins that night for seizing the microphone when the boos started and defending Nigel Benn saying how he knew he wasn't the fighter he was two years before and that it should have happened then - also said as you do that Benn should be remembered for everything he had achieved.

In hindsight now I only remember the good things about Nigel Benn.

This night is also memorable for me that after a few beers I fell asleep as Holyfield and Tyson were coming out and woke up an hour or so later to a slow motion replay of the end....
    Thanks for the first hand account,great stuff.I'd have giving my right arm to have seen Benn live,but It would have been tough being there for the last one.Watching a favorite go through the trek from the top to the lowest point and get beaten bad can do a job on ones faculties .I did not see Collins on the mike,the network edited the fight to death but have heard some mention his response.Class act.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    I was sitting here today and doing the Sunday afternoon ritual of re-watching the big card from the previous night.I have never been a big Roy Jones Jr. fan to say the least throughout the years but at the same time Ive come to realize and appreciate the man's emmense talent.I had a feeling that last night would be an uphill battle for him as the recent years have shown slight deterioration.It was about around the 7th round that I found myself having that sinking feeling you get when someone that you are so familiar with in the sport appears to be in serious trouble....dispair and frankly feeling a bit bad for him.He was fighting in a manner foreign to him during his prime,walking straight in behind a very high guard,soaking up damage in the hopes of snapping off one duplicate type shot that had deposited Calzaghe onto the mat in the 1st round.It was not to be,he was operating on heart,even whooping at Calzaghe,talking himself through while sitting in the corner but never quitting though it was clear...he was not choosing to "not commit,or try" but that simply put,he could not!Every fighter runs the risk of reaching a point when it is no longer unobtainable.In no other sport is it so glaringly obvious and open for all to witness on an individual basis.And then It struck me in kind.

As fans we invest more than money and time into following this great sport.We invest some very real & sincere emotions.Comradely,anger,sadness,bewilderment, are experienced as it is more than just a sporting event for one night,a fighters career is a constant continuum of ups & downs.Victory's & defeats that can really take you for a ride.

Twelve years ago this very night on November 9th 1996 I watched back to back occasions in which two off my all time favorite fighters went in opposite directions,one for good.Evander Holyfield and Nigel Benn.I had first seen Nigel Benn one sat. or Sun. afternoon come over to the States and wreak havoc in brutal fashion on a very durable & respected Doug Dewitt.He displayed the fierce attributes that can only be admired in all fighters.Tenacious,filled with self belief...some call that arrogance Lol.He sold out on what brought him to the dance....power & confidence.I was hooked from that point.He came back to go to hell & back with Iran Barkley in the sum of one round.I was sitting at a friend's house watching that one and while everyone in the room shouted and yelled "He cheated,bullshit,Go back to England ya queer,he should have been DQ'd"I sat there with a grin......I liked Barkley but I had never seen a guy I knew absolutely nothing about come out of no where in such a bombastic,explosive manner.It was early for me as far as watching boxing and Benn was cemented in my following.Just as fast as he had come in,he went back to the Homeland.I read in a paper and an Issue of Boxing Illustrated about his battle with Eubanks and being TKO'd.Not being able to see any of his fights ,(No internet,no cable,etc) you sort of loose touch.One day I'm tuning into Univision,used to be a sensational network airing international fights during the afternoon,and what do you know....Thay were airing (tape delayed) Benn vs. Galvano 1......he was back in all of his destructive glory and shortly there after SHOWTIME had picked him up with Don King promotions.He bounced Lou Gent out like a yo-yo,battled rival Eubanks to a heated draw (thought he won it),He was showing adjustments with more boxing vs. Wharton and then that tragic meeting with power house McClellan.He was expected by many to fold,to get sparked out....he won,we all know the story.It was impossible for him to escape what had happened but not in any manner as bad as the promising and formidable G-Man.He returned to bludgeon Vincente Nardiello who liked him so much he planted kisses on Benn's cheek prior to Benn planting his fist on Nardiellos jaw.Scored a TKO over late sub Danny Perez,seemed off though and then he met former rival Malinga who had lost a hotly disputed call in 92.Malinga proceeded to out maneuver,out fox & out box Benn.Benn seemed reluctant and could not sustain with effect.It was clear he was on his way out and it all culminated in his final fight and defeat on November 9th against Stevie Collins for the 2nd time.It aired on ESPN 2 on tape delay as I remember and it was every bit hard to watch.Benn had nothing,He was going through the motions landing an occasional crack but in the 6th,he turned and waved,He was Done.It sat heavy with me.At first you feel hugely let down mixed with bruised pride.It is a part of his career,his history but by no means does it reflect him as the entire story.Remember the good.

Pretty wordy on this one,just sort of rambling on.In contrast that same night,Evander Holyfield went in against Mike Tyson and proceeded to pull off what many considered a huge upset against all odds.He was thought to be shot up after Bowe starched him almost exactly one year prior in explosive fashion.He returned against a blown up Bobby Czyz and beat him from pillar to post,but Czyz was anything if not a resilient fireplug and it began to cast many doubts as to what Holyfields chances were against Tyson.Commentators openly questioned Holyfields "Mind" and the people in his camp that would let him go in against a still very threatening Tyson.Even The editors at Ring Magazine predicted Holyfield as having no chance.They wrote that Tyson would KO him in 1 round ??Well,Evander fought the fight of his life and gave me one of my best memories.He shined that 12 years ago tonight,scoring a blisstering 11th round TKO.We may not be effected in such a physical manner as the fighters we watch but let their be no doubt that we feel the highs & lows.

May have gone off track,just running on here.This night stands out big as a fan for me.Sorry for the phone book post/thread.Jones/Calzaghe had me thinking outloud

Benn had class and knew when to get out; Holyfield has no class and makes a mockery of the sport that made him. Pity. Great post, mate. Keep em coming. I am a great Benn fan!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great post man, can't believe I read all that as tired as I am lol but it's probably because it was true.

I especially agreed with the part about how much emotion we invest into the sport and it's fighters. Just remembering all of us up on our feet when Roy knocked JC down in the first. (Well 4 out of 6 of us were who wanted Roy to win). Then, if you would have seen the room in the next few rounds, the soul had been sucked completely out.

My friends brother even left the room because he couldn't watch it anymore...it can be dissapointing and upsetting to see a fighter that you've admired go out like that for sure.

Good post again

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fantastic post Spicoli. I'm a massive Benn fan. Here's my favourite picture from his career :

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Fantastic post Spicoli. I'm a massive Benn fan. Here's my favourite picture from his career :

Great pic! I would love that signed and framed it's a corker!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

Great pic! I would love that signed and framed it's a corker!!
    That is an awesome one indeed Kel.look at the sublte lean away by Eubanks.That was a great scrap.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post

Benn had class and knew when to get out; Holyfield has no class and makes a mockery of the sport that made him. Pity. Great post, mate. Keep em coming. I am a great Benn fan!!
    Thanks my man,appreciate the good words.I can agree that Holyfield is borderline delusional thinking he is in anyway close to what he was and needs to get out but I'll never dog his class.That night was special,The mans a champion through and through.But his gloves belong on the peg now....hard to watch it continue frankly.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, maybe I was a tad harsh, but when a fighetr whom you respect stays on against all odds, you just get very upset with him. That's where I really was coming from with the mockery statement. Too harsh--I agree. But then there is that matter of 13 kids which we won't get into because what a fighter does outside the ring should really not matter. So all in all, I feel like a prat for what I said

Thread Information