Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Top prospects and their weaknesses

Its easy to get swept away by a young prospect/contender type, its easy to see weaknesses after he gets smacked around.

So just looking at what some top young guys have that are problematic and need to work on.

Juan Manuel Lopez-The man. In love with the straight left-right hook combo, in love with it, almost throws nothing else besides that and the jab. Might need more punch variety. How would he react to a boxer mover safety first type fighter, he's gold against guys that come to fight but will be interesting to see how he reacts if he has to press a fight. Chin kind of unknown. Not extraordinarily fast but seems to have great timing.

Lamont Peterson- A bit flat footed. Could jab more. Only one real form of defense. Maybe doesn't have a second gear to go to and maybe doesn't have the power to turn around a fight if he's fallen way behind.

Anthony Peterson-some of the same stuff except maybe the power. Oh yeah, needs to fight somebody.

That's just a couple, add your own. And seriously I'll neg rep you for creativity issues if you say Amir Khan has chin problems.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Top prospects and their weaknesses

Yuriokris Gamboa where do i start ? too wild, his defense needs some serious work, he constantly leaves his chin up in the air, he needs to get more technical, and stop thinking he is RJJ because he isn't.

Oumafan your good with prospect's i'd like to see if you can pick apart, Abner Mares. Because i don't see many faults with him a very good textbook fighter IMO.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I know Lopez has a belt and isn't technically a prospect anymore. Still a young fighter that hasn't really proven himself. I consider Berto to kind of be a prospect too, young contender whatever.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angulo - slow, methodical, easily timed.

Martirosyan - None.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee number 1 groupie View Post
    Yuriokris Gamboa where do i start ? too wild, his defense needs some serious work, he constantly leaves his chin up in the air, he needs to get more technical, and stop thinking he is RJJ because he isn't.

Oumafan your good with prospect's i'd like to see if you can pick apart, Abner Mares. Because i don't see many faults with him a very good textbook fighter IMO.
    I thought Tokunbo Olajide had a pretty bright future so meh, but I'd have to look at Mares again. For whatever reason I haven't seen him that much. The last time was Gadi or Dadi or whatever, the one that Vic fought that Mares stopped in two. He does look pretty textbook, Nacho Beristain fighter, seems to have pretty good power. Got hit a few times in that fight, but then again as good as JMM is he gets hit here and there too. Maybe not extraordinarily fast. I'll go on youtube sometime today and look at him again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee number 1 groupie View Post

I'm actually waiting for Gamboa to fight someone who can hit and can take a punch because he gets hit often and if he fights the wrong fighter, lights out! I don't know about anyone else but I think he's cocky and when he steps up the competition, he will be humbled..

El Kabong Guest

Tavoris Cloud - 150% dependent on his power, to the point where his chin and stamina could become issues

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Tavoris Cloud - 150% dependent on his power, to the point where his chin and stamina could become issues
    Apply also Chris Arreola
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arreola...all you can eat breakfast buffets

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Billy Dib - Having an opponent.

Arreola, Cloud, Maidana, Matthysse and Abregu - They all depend on their power, they all need to start using some other aspects of boxing not just power punching.

Devon Alexander - He needs to sit on his punches more and also turn it up a bit in the output department.

Andre Ward - Can be a bit too patient at times, he needs to read his opponents better and should turn it up more as far as agressiveness.

James Kirkland - A bit on the wild side, would like to see him sit back a little and be smart in the ring.

Angulo - Slow hands, needs to use more foot movement it appeared to me that he got a bit winded vs. Tsurkan.

Jorge Linares - I know he's no longer considered a prospect BUT his weakness are injuries.

Vicente Escobedo - Being told he was the next ODLH.

Saul Alvarez - Defense can be a bit leaky, his weight seems to go up and down and can't settle into 147 or 154.

Victor Ortiz - Inactivity in 2008.

Urbano Antillon - Likes to get into gun fights, needs to use his skills more and box more, trade when he feels it's time.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Froch - weakness

Very frigile bone structure , which is common in most people of his advanced age .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aurthur Abraham=Fights in Spurts
    Kelly Pavlik=Slick Movers
    Oscar De La Hoya=Manny Pacquiao
    Wladimir Klitschko=Infighting
    Edwin Valero=US Medical License
    Chad Dawson=Lacks Killer Instinct
    Manny Pacqiuao=Himself in PI

Thats all I can think of right now
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Billy Dib - Having an opponent.

Arreola, Cloud, Maidana, Matthysse and Abregu - They all depend on their power, they all need to start using some other aspects of boxing not just power punching.

Devon Alexander - He needs to sit on his punches more and also turn it up a bit in the output department.

Andre Ward - Can be a bit too patient at times, he needs to read his opponents better and should turn it up more as far as agressiveness.

James Kirkland - A bit on the wild side, would like to see him sit back a little and be smart in the ring.

Angulo - Slow hands, needs to use more foot movement it appeared to me that he got a bit winded vs. Tsurkan.

Jorge Linares - I know he's no longer considered a prospect BUT his weakness are injuries.

Vicente Escobedo - Being told he was the next ODLH.

Saul Alvarez - Defense can be a bit leaky, his weight seems to go up and down and can't settle into 147 or 154.

Victor Ortiz - Inactivity in 2008.

Urbano Antillon - Likes to get into gun fights, needs to use his skills more and box more, trade when he feels it's time.
    Good post. Solidly complete list.

How about prospects out of Europe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In Australia we have "Cool" Willy Kickett awsome natural ability really good hand speed but not a very good chin got Ko'd the other night but hopefully he will bounce back.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Good post. Solidly complete list.

How about prospects out of Europe?
    Right on....

"Sascha" Dimitrenko - Begins to slap his punches as fights wear on. Needs to work on his inside game.

Paul Appleby - Lacks power, goes out of his comfort zone to often needs to stick to his game plan.

Grzegorz Proksa - I got a chance to see him fight in person in his 2nd fight on the undercard of JLC-Corrales 1. Can get a bit wild at times, needs to remain calm when he has his opponents almost out. He will start throwing wild shots and leaves himself wide open. He's one of my fav. prospects right now.

Zaurbek Baysangurov - Needs to work on establishing his jab, likes the lead right a bit too much. Could def. use better ring movement. Another one of my fav. prospects right now.

Kevin Mitchell - He thinks he's unstopable. I like confidence but as of late it seems like he's walking into the ring not really caring about his opponent. Would like to see him clean up his defense.

Thread Information