Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Thrilla in Manila documentary tonight on More-4 channel 22.30 hours

Not seen this before and it's sounds wicked with a top notch funky soundtrack and it's on for around 2 hours.
    One to watch,anyone seen it before?

Check
    More4 - Documentaries - Thrilla in Manila
    Last edited by smashup; 11-11-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Thrilla in Manila documentary tonight on More-4 channel 22.30 hours

Bump.......incase the lazy "no scroll down crew" missed it the first time

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bugger. Missed it. Hopefully somebody sticks it on the net.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats got to be the best documentry on Boxing Ive ever seen. How decisions can change our perspective on things. Its a must see.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Thats got to be the best documentry on Boxing Ive ever seen. How decisions can change our perspective on things. Its a must see.
    Yea really enjoyed that,

interesting to see Ali portrayed as kind of the bad guy for once.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My great grandfather died of a heart attack when Frazier didn't come out of the corner. He was a huge fan of Smokin Joe. Don't know why that was relevant but I'll share anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think ' The Thriller in Manilla' is the greatest example of two guys who gave their absolute all for this sport of boxing that we all love so much.
    Watching that final 14th round and the subsequent result of Frazier not coming out for the last round you could be excused for shedding a tear for both men, true greats who were never the same men again after this fight. The greatest tradegy for me is that ALI continued on for 5 more years after this fight and he should have retired after this brutal bout.
    ALI was wrong with his opinion of Smokin' Joe, Frazier was a great champion, a more than worthy adversary and should always be remembered as being one of the great Heavyweight Champions.
    I salute them both!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Poom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Yea really enjoyed that,

interesting to see Ali portrayed as kind of the bad guy for once.
    Me too. I've always loved Ali, but every single doc so far has been way biased in his favour. He took baiting Frazier WAY too far, and never apologised to his face - also didn't like the way they tried to cry robbery after the first fight, that was rather pathetic.

Watching that you can totally understand why Joe is still bitter to this day. People say he should just let it go, and for his own good he probably should forget about, but that's easier said than done considering Ali is the only thing he's ever asked about when met with fans/press nowadays.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It made me realise, Frazier never gets the credit He deserves. We easily forget His resume, which was impressive to say the least.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It does seem rather sad that he lives just above his gym and still puts on the wraps and the robe (though that may have been just for the documentary). Only two guys ever beat him, George had his number but over three fights with Ali he was pretty much on a par, yet the difference in adulation is ridicilously huge. It was pretty unforgivable what Joe's son had to endure due to all the uncle Tom comments, they said afterwards it was just for promotion but it was said with real venom, and Ali (before and after the first fight especially) genuinely believed he had the high ground even though Joe had done absolutely nothing to diminish his own race.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad i taped this - it was excellent.

The anecdotes from Frazier's son and Butch Lewis were particularly amusing/affecting.

Even though Frazier's bitterness towards Ali today seems a bit sad it's clearly understandable.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

The anecdotes from Frazier's son and Butch Lewis were particularly amusing/affecting.

Even though Frazier's bitterness towards Ali today seems a bit sad it's clearly understandable.
    I watched it and taped it on the later showing, very good documentary on stuff that were simply brushed over previously.

Butch Lewis seemed a bit crazy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh man i have recorded it but cant watch it as on my virgin media boX & my wife & the kids are watching mama mia at gthe moment

i am so looking forward to wartchin it(thrilla in manilla doc not mama mia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

how would everyone compare this against 'when we were kings'?
    my personal favourite.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

I watched it and taped it on the later showing, very good documentary on stuff that were simply brushed over previously.

Butch Lewis seemed a bit crazy
    He cracked me up - especially when recounting the dressing room stuff of the first fight, how he was gonna pass out
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information