Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was there any boxer in history more athletic than Mike Tyson?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Was there any boxer in history more athletic than Mike Tyson?

Was looking at this guy's greatest fights on DVD an the combination of speed, power, agility, etc is insane. We all know his weakness was in between the ears but he was on another level when it came to god given talent, oh my goodness what that guy wasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was there any boxer in history more athletic than Mike Tyson?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
    Was looking at this guy's greatest fights on DVD an the combination of speed, power, agility, etc is insane. We all know his weakness was in between the ears but he was on another level when it came to god given talent, oh my goodness what that guy wasted.
    He was something truly special, but let the outside distractions get to him. He was amazing though. I mean for his build, his hand speed and reflexes were incredible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones comes to mind. Speed, power, agility.
    Lennox Lewis had remarkable coordination and speed for such a big guy.

If u ever saw what Mundine did on a rugby field you'd see how athletic he was, blindingly fast over the turf. He used to do all sorts of back flips and shit when he scored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post

If u ever saw what Mundine did on a rugby field you'd see how athletic he was, blindingly fast over the turf. He used to do all sorts of back flips and shit when he scored.
    Lennox Lewis was on a TV show years ago which pitted athletes from different disciplines against each other in a number of fields such as sprints, weight lifting, jet skiing etc. Lennox Lewis was hopeless at just about everything, even the weight lifting. I was pretty shocked at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones was a great ( still is) athlete, but I have seen 175 guy's that hit harder than he ever did, his speed was blinding and he had great agility, but I never saw a HW with the physical attributes of a Mike Tyson and Mike carried around alot more weight than Roy. Mike was a better athlete. As far as Mundine I don't know who he is but over here in the states we had a guy by the name of Bo Jackson that played football ( American), I can't decide who was a better overall athlete him or Tyson but it's close and that's my top two in any sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali,Ali,and Ali
    He had out of nowhere power,footwork that was so good you shouldnt try it, speed to beat the band, and longevity Tyson could have only hoped for.
    They call him the greatest for a reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Ali,Ali,and Ali
    He had out of nowhere power,footwork that was so good you shouldnt try it, speed to beat the band, and longevity Tyson could have only hoped for.

I don't think Ali hit as hard as Tyson did, the speed is very very close along with agility, as far as longevity that's because Tyson was mentally ill and hopeless. Not many people who ever lived that were labeled ' baddest man on the planet " and your only 5'10. The guy was a monster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Ali,Ali,and Ali

I don't think Ali hit as hard as Tyson did, the speed is very very close along with agility, as far as longevity that's because Tyson was mentally ill and hopeless. Not many people who ever lived that were labeled ' baddest man on the planet " and your only 5'10. The guy was a monster
    Tyson had to swarm you, Ali would just get bored with you,Tyson had a way he had to win,and while very succesful it had to be Tysons way, and once that was exposed it was exposed. Ali could beat you in more ways then you could imagine, and once you bored him, he was turning your lights out on one punch.
    Why we even know names like Chuck Wepner and Jerry Quarry is they made a fight of it.
    Anybody cared about James Bonecrusher Smith lately?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RJJ comes to mind and I would def. put him at #1.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rjj
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ray Robinson, Thomas Hearns, 122 pound Manny Pacquaio had his speed and power IMO, RJJ, Andre Berto(speed and power).

I think because Mike Tyson was bulky he still basically had a little guy's body, short arms, low center of gravity, that makes for excellent leverage, short arms mean good combination speed. That speed he had was something special, but I think Ali was faster even if you watch Ali against Joe Frazier or Foreman which was after his prime, his jab and cross and hooks were faster, sloppier at least in the hooks, but faster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate how people act like Tyson was an underachiever or wasted his talent! Sure he could have achieved more but becoming the youngest ever heavyweight champion, having over 20 first round KO's, Being the second highest grossing fighter of all time and being undisputed champion of the world is not really under achieving is it?

Give people the earth and they want the galaxy though right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Tyson was everything vlad isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones was a great ( still is) athlete, but I have seen 175 guy's that hit harder than he ever did, his speed was blinding and he had great agility, but I never saw a HW with the physical attributes of a Mike Tyson and Mike carried around alot more weight than Roy. Mike was a better athlete. As far as Mundine I don't know who he is but over here in the states we had a guy by the name of Bo Jackson that played football ( American), I can't decide who was a better overall athlete him or Tyson but it's close and that's my top two in any sport.
    Roy wasn't a natural 175 pounder, he was a natural 160-168 pound fighter, and his record was 22-0(21) ko's going into his championship fight. I wonder how far up Mike Tyson's power would have carried him in terms of changing weightclasses, most of the bigger guys who weren't just there to be knocked out handled his power in his prime.

James Tillis
    Bonecrusher SMith
    MItch Green(who hung on, but survived).

Please Bo Jackson definitely was up there, but not Mundine, he isn't as quick as Roy was in his prime, Mundine is a good athlete for sure, but Deon Sanders was a great athlete who excelled at 2 sports
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Lebron James, 6-8 240-250, 4.4 40 yard dash, 44 inch vertical jump, he would have been a monster at Football, which he was in highschool before he quit for a basketball career.
    Antonio Gates: Great at basketball and football
    same with Gonzalez for the chiefs.
    Randy Moss: amazing speed, would have been an incredible basketball player, and was one.
    Michael Jordan: 6-6, 220, 4.3 40 yard dash, 42 inch vertical, great athlete
    Michael Vick: 560 pound bench press at 212 pounds!! 4.20-4.27 40 yard dash, great shuttle, 40+ inch vertical time as well, he was at least as good of an athlete as Bo Jackson.

To sum it up any NFL or NBA team has right now an athlete better then any boxer who has ever lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7dB_4yXPv4

just incase you haven't seen Pacquiao on the heavybag, I don't think because of his coaching or whatever it would seem when he first started boxing that Manny never came even close to reaching the potential his physicality and mentality would generate, which is scary considering how much more he has accomplished than Mike Tyson in his career.

Thread Information