Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Did anyone see the Deontay Wilder fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Did anyone see the Deontay Wilder fight?

He was the only American to win a medal (bronze) at the last olympics. He made his pro debut on the undercard of Lacy/Taylor. I saw a youtube clip but it was only the second round. It's seems to me he keeps his hands too low and he is kinda slow, has some decent power though. I want to wish him luck with his pro career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJAxuNPOz4
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did anyone see the Deontay Wilder fight?

Didn't see the fight but agree with your thoughts from what i saw on the youtube vid.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Five years on, and we are none the wiser...
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    He was the only American to win a medal (bronze) at the last olympics. He made his pro debut on the undercard of Lacy/Taylor. I saw a youtube clip but it was only the second round. It's seems to me he keeps his hands too low and he is kinda slow, has some decent power though. I want to wish him luck with his pro career.

When its up on youtube you should watch it. Its like a commercial. The cynic in me is skeptical on the convulsive ending. Quite frankly it looked manufactured rather then natural. I think the white poodle was going down the minute a clean punch came near him by his choosing.

He's got power alright but he's also got a lot of Jess Willard in him. You will see a replay of a previous fight when last nights fight is posted for a dramatic illustration of that fact in slow motion. Flailing away like a yearling tree on a river bank. Oddly enough that's why I can understand why he seems to be in this eternal development stage claimed by his team. That kind of power is a game changer but what happens when a guy takes it and answers back especially with counters in the corner when Wilder is trying to pull the nose bleeds in a little closer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

When its up on youtube you should watch it. Its like a commercial. The cynic in me is skeptical on the convulsive ending. Quite frankly it looked manufactured rather then natural. I think the white poodle was going down the minute a clean punch came near him by his choosing.

He's got power alright but he's also got a lot of Jess Willard in him. You will see a replay of a previous fight when last nights fight is posted for a dramatic illustration of that fact in slow motion. Flailing away like a yearling tree on a river bank. Oddly enough that's why I can understand why he seems to be in this eternal development stage claimed by his team. That kind of power is a game changer but what happens when a guy takes it and answers back especially with counters in the corner when Wilder is trying to pull the nose bleeds in a little closer?
    Funny you say that, bro - I rewound about 10 times looking for the monster punch that sent the Wolf into convulsions and couldn't find it. It was a nice shot an all, timing him coming off the ropes, but it wasn't all of that. That said, he appears to have good power. He appears to be in condition. He appears to be able to put combinations together. But how would we know? He's going to eventually have to fight a live dog... and when he does, I'll be waiting and watching. This appears more like a hype tour so far to get him to a money fight without him actually having to earn it.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Funny you say that, bro - I rewound about 10 times looking for the monster punch that sent the Wolf into convulsions and couldn't find it. It was a nice shot an all, timing him coming off the ropes, but it wasn't all of that. That said, he appears to have good power. He appears to be in condition. He appears to be able to put combinations together. But how would we know? He's going to eventually have to fight a live dog... and when he does, I'll be waiting and watching. This appears more like a hype tour so far to get him to a money fight without him actually having to earn it.
    Agreed. He's got promise to be sure. He's got to straighten out those punches though when he traps a guy even to the bend of a protractor lol. Somebody his going to clock him in between those loopers.
    Surprised his gloves don't touch behind his back.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Strange seeing my post from 5 years ago being quoted now lol.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was Britkid's point... same old, same old

If dude had progressed, we wouldn't be seeing a 5 year old post... see how smart you were, Sheep?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    That was Britkid's point... same old, same old

If dude had progressed, we wouldn't be seeing a 5 year old post... see how smart you were, Sheep?
    Yeah, I understood that. I think the lack of progress is due to years of fighting tomato cans. I'd like to see him fight someone like Kevin Johnson not that I think it would be an entertaining fight, but it should at least go some rounds. I don't think anyone doubts his power, but we know absolutely nothing about his endurance.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He just needs to fight guys who have won more than lost lately. Even a Johnson might be a good idea. When thinking opponent too much focus may be on 'durable' to get rounds but you can pound on a sponge in the gym. A mover with decent speed, not afraid to stink it out and force you to track him down, adapt and deal with frustration could reveal a lot about him. I hope he does improve, but I can't say he's anything more than a four round fighter who has never been hit by a guy who wasn't brought it to just to lose from the times I've seen him. One way Sunday morning traffic.

Thread Information