Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs down Meeting Burt Sugar

Burt Sugar comes across like an authority when he is in fact one of the least knowlegable psuedo -experts out there. I had the displeasure of meeting him at a fund raiser where I questioned him on his choice for toughest heavyweight champ of all time. When I disagreed with his "EXPERT" opinion he gave me the brush off and walked away while I was mid- sentence. Hey Burt I hate to tell you. I have climbed those steps into the ring over thirty times . Now let me ask you Burt, from where did you cull your extensive knowledge? As the saying goes 'When someone that doesn't know speaks with conviction and authority to others that also do not know, because of his conviction, the others belive him." The hat and the un-lit cigar are a blatent attempt to trademark himself. Clown yes. Expert. Now that's funny and that's what clowns are supposed to be.
    Last edited by Tjamesmichael; 11-21-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: content

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Meeting Burt Sugar

Nice one, this bloke has always bugged me with his bullshiit, where did he come from?

Spot on with the hat an cigar as well, the blokes not too bright

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You started an account just to bitch about being brushed off by Bert Sugar?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tjamesmichael View Post
    Burt Sugar comes across like an authority when he is in fact one of the least knowlegable psuedo -experts out there. I had the displeasure of meeting him at a fund raiser where I questioned him on his choice for toughest heavyweight champ of all time. When I disagreed with his "EXPERT" opinion he gave me the brush off and walked away while I was mid- sentence. Hey Burt I hate to tell you. I have climbed those steps into the ring over thirty times and sat at the feet of the master, Cus D'amato for close to two years. My roomates were Rooney and Atlas. Now let me ask you Burt, from where did you cull your extensive knowledge? As Cus would always say 'When someone that doesn't know speaks with conviction and authority to others that also do not know, because of his conviction, the others belive him." The hat and the un-lit cigar are a blatent attempt to trademark himself. Clown yes. Expert. Now that's funny and that's what clowns are supposed to be.
    I'm not sure is this is a joke post or not but it's completely ridiculous.

So you, a complete nobody walked up to one of the most respected boxing journalists in the world, in the Boxing Hall of Fame no less, then rather than just saying hello, nice to meet you, can I have your autograph, you proceeded to 'challenge' him on his knowledge and then he walked away.

Have you considered the alternative that instead of him being baffled by your extensive knowledge and awed by your boxing past, he just thought you were an annoying twat and so left cos he just couldn't bear to talk to you?

I can certainly share that feeling, as from your one post I already think you're a complete knob jockey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know there bud! I met Sugar too and he was a top-notch guy to talk to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why ask him if you are going to argue with him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Burt Sugar comes across like an authority when he is in fact one of the least knowlegable psuedo -experts out there. I had the displeasure of meeting him at a fund raiser where I questioned him on his choice for toughest heavyweight champ of all time. When I disagreed with his "EXPERT" opinion he gave me the brush off and walked away while I was mid- sentence. Hey Burt I hate to tell you. I have climbed those steps into the ring over thirty times and sat at the feet of the master, Cus D'amato for close to two years. My roomates were Rooney and Atlas. Now let me ask you Burt, from where did you cull your extensive knowledge? As Cus would always say 'When someone that doesn't know speaks with conviction and authority to others that also do not know, because of his conviction, the others belive him." The hat and the un-lit cigar are a blatent attempt to trademark himself. Clown yes. Expert. Now that's funny and that's what clowns are supposed to be.
    I'm not sure is this is a joke post or not but it's completely ridiculous.

So you, a complete nobody walked up to one of the most respected boxing journalists in the world, in the Boxing Hall of Fame no less, then rather than just saying hello, nice to meet you, can I have your autograph, you proceeded to 'challenge' him on his knowledge and then he walked away.

Have you considered the alternative that instead of him being baffled by your extensive knowledge and awed by your boxing past, he just thought you were an annoying twat and so left cos he just couldn't bear to talk to you?

I can certainly share that feeling, as from your one post I already think you're a complete knob jockey.
    But he did sit at Cus D'Amato's feet though. That's got to count for something, right?

Then again maybe he decided not, since he edited that part out later.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Strange post. You don't need to have been a professional boxer to make comments or state your opinion on boxing. Thats like saying you guys dont need to vote, you've never been a politician, so you don't know politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Burt Sugar comes across like an authority when he is in fact one of the least knowlegable psuedo -experts out there. I had the displeasure of meeting him at a fund raiser where I questioned him on his choice for toughest heavyweight champ of all time. When I disagreed with his "EXPERT" opinion he gave me the brush off and walked away while I was mid- sentence. Hey Burt I hate to tell you. I have climbed those steps into the ring over thirty times . Now let me ask you Burt, from where did you cull your extensive knowledge? As the saying goes 'When someone that doesn't know speaks with conviction and authority to others that also do not know, because of his conviction, the others belive him." The hat and the un-lit cigar are a blatent attempt to trademark himself. Clown yes. Expert. Now that's funny and that's what clowns are supposed to be.

maybe you came off as the condescending guy and he decided to walk away?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bert only listens when He is Talking
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes i met him , and he wanted to go to starbucks to discuss the world of boxing , but i told him no , i dont take Sugar
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Burt Sugar.

Still, I thought that was a nice little rant. Nothing wrong with anything you said. It's just an opinion that you "culled" from a single encounter with, Bert.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Knowing nothing about a subject has never deterred Sugar from talking about it.

He wrote a pro wrestling book called "The Secrets of Pro Wrestling" years ago. Among the many gems in there was his claim that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's real name was Rocky Melvin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

funny. i can't stop chuckling. i'm a huge fan of british slang.
    Last edited by BoxingGorilla; 11-22-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Burt knows his shit...(Take it from someone who knows him and has sat and talked with him at length).....He does though act like an ass and ratttle on at times on shit where he seems like a complete idiot....I also agree on the fact Burt will go to extents with some people and just start spouting off on crap to make himself look as though he is a guru.....

If you ever really want to see Burt be an ass....Try sitting in a bar or press room with him...After a few drinks he really becomes an idiot...a bit arrogant as well on everything not just boxing...Quite disrespectful to women reporters
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Thread Information