Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default World Combat League

Anyone here interested in WCL? Personally I think it's better than UFC, much better punching and kicking, due in part I guess to the fact there is no groundgame, no sitting on your opponent and punching him in the head. But definitely they are good athletes, and quite skilled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: World Combat League

not bad. good kickboxers for sure. But as you said, they can fight in closer quarters because the threat of takedown is not there.

IMO, those fighter are magnitudes between than the IFL, but generally, they are not as established as fighter in the UFC. (But I could be wrong.) Seems to me, the REALLY good kickboxers/thai boxers are in K-1, or have made the transition to the UFC, like Crocop did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing that shits me in the ufc is that as soon as one gets close to the other its, grab, hold and takedown and cuddle. I dont mind it when they actually do something like go for subs or ground and pound but when they just lie there scrambling to be on top of each other, its just fucking boring. I just wanna see these guys learn to throw a proper punch.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep. That about sums up the mma stand up game. If you try to hit a guy, he just holds on and wrestles you to the ground. But that's mma.

Both boxing and mma have their pros and cons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mma is basically a streetfight for money. no wonder it's so popular. Everyone stops to watch a streetfight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol. not quite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was drunk when I made that post. I should stop doing that. But I don't think I'm too far from the truth. Of course is is not quite the same. It's pretty much a feestyle combat sport, with a few rules. Such as no knives, clubs, or brass knuckles. And no kicks to the balls. And there are limits as to how many times you can hit/kick your opponet when he's down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the problem with mma is not that its soooo simple like a streetfight. Its that getting it right takes total dedication to the sport for years. only a select few to this point have mastered the sport in the way it was ment to be. GSP. SILVA. FADOR. PENN

In my opinion the WCL fighters need to work on there defence. It always seems like there just trading punches and hoping to win by volume.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fair enough tkdboy. You are only as good as the effort you put into it. It stands to reson that the people who dedicate their lives to it will become better and more skilled. And better at the subtleties. The harder you work the better you get.

Interesting point about WCL and defense. I'll have to pay more attention to that next time around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it has to do with the rules I havent watched in a while but I know they have less rounds to fight than boxing and the ref can take points away for inactivaty so this creates less feeling out and more swinging for the fences. Of course this does make it exciting to watch. good and bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboy View Post
    the problem with mma is not that its soooo simple like a streetfight. Its that getting it right takes total dedication to the sport for years. only a select few to this point have mastered the sport in the way it was ment to be. GSP. SILVA. FADOR. PENN

In my opinion the WCL fighters need to work on there defence. It always seems like there just trading punches and hoping to win by volume.
    Truth to both statements. Only now are we seeing guys in mma who are truly (I'm gonna sound like that idiot Rogan here...) "world class." Until recently it seemd that the champ was a big fish in a small pond. That is changing. Guys are becoming highly skilled.

Also, you are right about the second point. first off, those wcl fighters are lower exchelon kickboxers, IMO. They'd never survive on a world level like K1, and if they try to be counter punchers they'll be deducted points. I think this forces them to brawl a bit more than they'd like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MMA is about gameplans and sticking to them.(unless you're Wanderlei Silva)

True it can seem slow and you sometimes see some slow controlled ground fighting. But it depends on the fighter.

You have guys like Jake O'Brian and the old Josh Koscheck, who use their wrestling to slowly wear down their opponents and win via decision.

And then you have guys like Anderson Silva, who has finished and beat his last 9 opponents(8 of them by the second round) and Wanderlei Silva(goes all out every time) who are undeniably exciting to watch.

I just don't like people to watch three or four fights, usually in a small organization, and use that as a testament to how MMA is.

Thread Information