Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Knee Pads

Im throwing this in the Hat, People always ask about upper Body movement. Been working on this idea for a while. Get yourself a pair of kneepads, put them on. Now get on your knees, and moving your knees fast keep going and Shadow Box always moveing the knees. something happens Neroupyhsical which is wonderful, well I think so.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Knee Pads

Sorry could someone move this to ask the Trainer please. Dont know what Happened there, well I do what a pratt

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought I was in there for a sec...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I thought I was in there for a sec...
    hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watch Tyson train when he was under D'Amato if you want to learn upper body movement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Scrap. I've been looking for way to train that incorporates my shoulders more. My trainer Joe Byrd says that he'll get us in the ring some time and swing a towel at us to help work on upper body movement as you see for yourself at the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM5dXhUTvvg
    Anyways I tried what you're saying about shadowboxing in knee pads. It feels a little awkward moving around like that. I'm not yet sure if it changes my upperbody movement at all. Is there something more that I need to do when I'm shadowboxing like that?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With the Towel Chris, put a knot in it, it will move quicker. Ill get the other thing up on vid it explains it better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could really use that video.

About the towel, I remember before you talked about a drill where you'd have a partner who's holding two towels with knots at the ends trying to hit your body. I bet those knots can hurt a little if you get that towel moving fast enough. I'm going to tell a friend about it. So far we've been practicing rollling to black imaginary bodyshots, but without a towel you aren't able to develop the the responses.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 12-02-2008 at 12:15 AM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    With the Towel Chris, put a knot in it, it will move quicker. Ill get the other thing up on vid it explains it better.
    Me and my brother used to use football scarf's with a tight double knot, the length was perfect.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

edit. back in training section
    Last edited by Youngblood; 12-02-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm,I knew a girl ....nevermind.Its the front page .But we used to do something similar practicing verts and bailing on a half pipe.Maximizes flexibility,crouching in tight spots when you really needed it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Hmm,I knew a girl ....nevermind.Its the front page .But we used to do something similar practicing verts and bailing on a half pipe.Maximizes flexibility,crouching in tight spots when you really needed it.
    Were you on your knees?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Were you on your knees?
    Yeh,basically you would just strap them on and almost do squats of sorts.Crawl or 'walk' on the knees.Takes your feet out of the picture and I think it helped improve balance,flexibility as your more top heavy in a kneeling position mostly,if that makes any sense?Also,when they were new,they could kill if not worn in a bit .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Were you on your knees?
    Yeh,basically you would just strap them on and almost do squats of sorts.Crawl or 'walk' on the knees.Takes your feet out of the picture and I think it helped improve balance,flexibility as your more top heavy in a kneeling position mostly,if that makes any sense?Also,when they were new,they could kill if not worn in a bit .
    Ive seen a muaythai fighter does this type of training somewhere in thailand before. They told me its for balance and to strenghten the knee area which basically what they use in kickboxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting scrap. But what about guys with bad knees?

As far as the towel thing goes, good little ex. A bar of soap in a sock is even better.

But IMO, this is what shadow boxing and its incorporation of mental imagery should (help) accomplish. Trouble is, most guys just go through offensive motions of shadow boxing. they spend very little time doing exercises aimed at developing the muscle memory needed for good upper body (defensive) movement.

In fact, IMO, shadow boxing, when done properly and using all of your faculties, is better for defense than offense. It seems more guys just like to watch themselves in the mirror at how pretty their movement is, when in fact it is accomplishing very little.

just my opinion.

on that note, one thing I love to do is lean on the ropes and do random upper body movement movement and the accompanying defensive mental imagery. you can also throw nice straight punches of the ropes with either hand while visualizing your opponent throw punches back.

Your body doesn't know that the imaginary guy in front of you whose punches you're slipping and blocking isn't real.

Thread Information