Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing and brain damage.

I am reading this book by a neurologist, and he is saying that boxing absolutely a no-no in terms of what it does to your brain... obviously. However I would like to raise the fact that boxing takes it biggest toll on the brain long after you quit doing it. It does lasting damage to the hippocampus and cerebellum which is why it is likely to cause Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

So I am bringing this up because people criticized in particular Freddie Roach for what he has said about the health of certain fighters, but I think while reading this book that I am not going to continue sparring for one, but also guys like Hopkins might be wise to leave the sport asap. Regardless of how hard it is to hit Hopkins he has been fighting pro for 20 years, most of it at the top level of the sport where guys hit harder, and do more damage. I am really worried for guys I admire like him, Holyfield, and other guys like Margarito who are really going to suffer in their late 40's and 50's. All pro fighters suffer multiple times the brain damage an average person does, and even guys like Leonard who have escaped rather unscathed have far less intellectual capacity than they would have, had they not put on a pair of gloves. I feel these are important things for people in boxing to know, and it seems avoided way too much.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing and brain damage.

No shit Sherlock. Would you mind watching boxing with bigger gloves and headgear though? Kind of takes away from the heritage of the sport. Just like joining the military may get you shot, nobody is forcing these guys in the ring....well I don't know about some of these promoters....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everything almost, can cause brain damage. You play baseball,you probably tak a brush back pitch to the head. You play football,almost all of your life long facilities are in trouble. Medieval combat,or the martial arts,you'll take one to the noggin. Driving your car can involve a stand of trees or another car tomorrow.
    Lifes to short to spend it under your covers

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dang. I thought this thread was going for the obvious......Taeth has brain damage and it is affecting his posting about boxing.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even heading a football can cause some brain damage. I beleive ex England player Jeff Astle`s early death was brought on through brain damage from heading the ball. Gary Lineker also used to avoid heading the ball as much as possible in training for the same reason.

Boxers know the risks. While its a shame for any fighter to lose control of their faculties, fans become less sympathetic if they fight on until they are well past it and bring on permanent damage themselves.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I am reading this book by a neurologist, and he is saying that boxing absolutely a no-no in terms of what it does to your brain... obviously. However I would like to raise the fact that boxing takes it biggest toll on the brain long after you quit doing it. It does lasting damage to the hippocampus and cerebellum which is why it is likely to cause Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

So I am bringing this up because people criticized in particular Freddie Roach for what he has said about the health of certain fighters, but I think while reading this book that I am not going to continue sparring for one, but also guys like Hopkins might be wise to leave the sport asap. Regardless of how hard it is to hit Hopkins he has been fighting pro for 20 years, most of it at the top level of the sport where guys hit harder, and do more damage. I am really worried for guys I admire like him, Holyfield, and other guys like Margarito who are really going to suffer in their late 40's and 50's. All pro fighters suffer multiple times the brain damage an average person does, and even guys like Leonard who have escaped rather unscathed have far less intellectual capacity than they would have, had they not put on a pair of gloves. I feel these are important things for people in boxing to know, and it seems avoided way too much.

Normally, the symptoms of pugisitica dementia show up about 12-16 years after contacting the affliction which is why it is so horiffic.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Normally, one trauma will not do it. An accumulation will, however. And sparring is one of the primaru causes of brain damage with boxers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Football, soccer, hockey, none of them compare to the head trauma experienced in boxing. I use to try to rationalize it as well, but you can't compare other sports to boxing. I love boxing, and I am not trying to change the sport, but just to make people actually pay heed to Freddie Roach, as a person who loves to learn, I can't think of anything that is worth killing my brain for, its what makes us human.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Normally, one trauma will not do it. An accumulation will, however. And sparring is one of the primaru causes of brain damage with boxers.
    Actually in studies one punch in a pro fight is the equivalent of about 16 or 17 in sparring and amateur fighting. In fact because sparring and amateurs use a different type of glove, and the fighters don't tend to sit down on their punches in fact they don't do the same permanent damage that punches that you receive in a pro fight. Sparring and amateur fighting generally only causes swelling which will heal in about 3 months, but pro fights will actually cause tears in the brain that are permanent damage.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Actually in studies one punch in a pro fight is the equivalent of about 16 or 17 in sparring and amateur fighting. In fact because sparring and amateurs use a different type of glove, and the fighters don't tend to sit down on their punches in fact they don't do the same permanent damage that punches that you receive in a pro fight. Sparring and amateur fighting generally only causes swelling which will heal in about 3 months, but pro fights will actually cause tears in the brain that are permanent damage.
    Maybe;maybe not. I know too many guys who have told me their condition was caused by too many rounds in the Gym. I do, however, agree, that punches in a pro fight are the heaviest. Also, the number of amature fights can play into this. But for me, it's all about accumulative punishment over a period of time. Bowe was well on the way and then Golata super-charged his journey. Bobby Chacon's last 7 fights were against stiff competition and he won each pretty easily as I recall. Then, several years later, the dreaded PD set in. There are many other whom I just as soon not mention. At any rate, I have done a lot of research on this stuff and always walk away from it in horror. It's a one way street for which there is no way out, as the brain cells eventually liquify in the end and the victim is the put on life support and then he dies. Just plain awful.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Football, soccer, hockey, none of them compare to the head trauma experienced in boxing. I use to try to rationalize it as well, but you can't compare other sports to boxing. I love boxing, and I am not trying to change the sport, but just to make people actually pay heed to Freddie Roach, as a person who loves to learn, I can't think of anything that is worth killing my brain for, its what makes us human.

Yes indeed. I reall some guys back in the '50s who repeatedly took terrible beating in amature fights and in the gym and later became "punchy" before any of us really knew and understood whhat "punchy" meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dr. Margert Goodman often writes about his in The Ring. In a recent article she noted that 1/3 of pro-fighters suffer some type of brain damage. But that includes very minor symptoms. That also means that 2/3 of fighters have no adverse effects.

additionally, studies have suggested that bigger gloves do not make the sport safer, and may even make it more deadly, by adding extra weight to the punch and better protecting the fist. Similarly, there is no objective evidence to prove that headgear provides any extra safety.

Life is full of risk. Spend your youth in a boxing gym and you might slow down mentally as you age; spend your youth in a bar, and you might die of heart disease at 45. Pick your poison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I look at it this way, Cell phones have been around for what, 15-20 years max. What long term effects might that have maybe in another ten years we will all develop brain cancer. My point is there is risks in everything, but that shouldnt be a reason to stop doing something. Ive fought amateur and now fight pro, and yes you can feel the punches much more, but if fighters worry about what could happen, boxing would be like ballroom dancing. Taking chances and risks is what makes people interesting, not being safe.
    Only Forum Amature With Well Over 2000 Posts!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I look at it this way, Cell phones have been around for what, 15-20 years max. What long term effects might that have maybe in another ten years we will all develop brain cancer. My point is there is risks in everything, but that shouldnt be a reason to stop doing something. Ive fought amateur and now fight pro, and yes you can feel the punches much more, but if fighters worry about what could happen, boxing would be like ballroom dancing. Taking chances and risks is what makes people interesting, not being safe.

While I agree with this, I also believe both boxers and trainers should be well-informed with TBI (traumatic brain injury, and it's varying degrees).

Traumatic brain injury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know I probably at one point already...should have taken a little time off from intense sparring, as was experiencing frequent headaches and likely required a rest from the brain slamming into my cranium.

El Kabong Guest

I think heavy sparring is what got Gerald McClellan hurt, he was a notorious gym rat and sparred near 100% and I think he may have been not 100% when he started the fight with Benn much less after repeated blows to the back of the head.

I don't know about you guys but I think bigger gloves make for more brain damage (to a certain point) because no one worries about breaking their hands ergo you throw harder because you're not thinking "if I land this punch wrong it's going to hurt really bad" (as much).

Thread Information