Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Impressed by Technology?

Let's hear about technological achievements in your lifetime that really impressed you.

For me the one that comes to mind is the repair of the Hubble Space Telescope. The thing went up in 1990 at a cost of several billion dollars, and it was defective to the point of being useless. So they sent a team up in 1993 via the space shuttle to do a few space walks and fix the thing. I though "Well alright!" it's one thing to send up a satellite, it's another thing to go up and fix the thing. We have truly entered the space age in a practical way.

Some of the things Hubble has done since then are truly amazing. Such as detecting galaxies that are over 13 billion light years away. That's quite a number.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Impressed by Technology?

Its qiute a distance
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Its qiute a distance
    yeah, considering that 1 light year is approximately 10 trillion kilometers.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The internet still blows my mind.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    The internet still blows my mind.

yeah sure, its you mind you "blow" over the internet haha come on now we all know the turth

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Let's hear about technological achievements in your lifetime that really impressed you.

For me the one that comes to mind is the repair of the Hubble Space Telescope. The thing went up in 1990 at a cost of several billion dollars, and it was defective to the point of being useless. So they sent a team up in 1993 via the space shuttle to do a few space walks and fix the thing. I though "Well alright!" it's one thing to send up a satellite, it's another thing to go up and fix the thing. We have truly entered the space age in a practical way.

Some of the things Hubble has done since then are truly amazing. Such as detecting galaxies that are over 13 billion light years away. That's quite a number.
    Yeah that and the physics leaps too electron microscopes; looking into things as well as looking out at them is amazing stuff.

Makes us look huge and also makes us look tiny.

Blazars and quazars are facinating.

To think that in a blazar (Like a black hole but instead imits energy)there are 20 million suns caught inside one of them out there and the energy that emits from it, is at the force that can propell something the size of Jupiter at our own known light speed was not so long ago beyond our imagination,But is now fact.

Physically and mentally speaking ,we dont even know what the rays are that come out of it,but we have made up names for them, but we dont know exactly what they do ,we only know they are super radioactive or gamma rays etc etc.
    From our stand point people would mostly think Oh thats not so good.
    But thats only cause it can kill carbon life forms like our bodies.That in itself is a very limited point of view.
    It would take all the physical power that we can generate in the world today just to throw a bowling ball at the speed of light! So imagine the natural power of these things out there!
    Imagine the balance and infinate distance we have to be from something like that power and all the other balancing factors and more well known but weaker factors down to tides and seasons; so as to be able to experience what we do from this pissy point of view that we have right here.

I love it all.

Blazars, like all AGN, are thought to be ultimately powered by material falling onto a supermassive black hole at the center of the host galaxy. Gas, dust and the occasional star are captured and spiral into this central black hole creating a hot accretion disk which generates enormous amounts of energy in the form of photons, electrons, positrons and other elementary particles. This region is quite small, approximately 10−3 parsecs in size.
    There is also a larger opaque torus extending several parsecs from the central black hole, containing a hot gas with embedded regions of higher density. These "clouds" can absorb and then re-emit energy from regions closer to the black hole. On Earth the clouds are detected as emission lines in the blazar spectrum.
    Perpendicular to the accretion disk, a pair of relativistic jets carry a highly energetic plasma away from the AGN. The jet is collimated by a combination of intense magnetic fields and powerful winds from the accretion disk and torus. Inside the jet, high energy photons and particles interact with each other and the strong magnetic field. These relativistic jets can extend as far as many tens of kiloparsecs from the central black hole.
    All of these regions can produce a variety of observed energy, mostly in the form of a nonthermal spectrum ranging from very low frequency radio to extremely energetic gamma rays, with a high polarization (typically a few percent) at some frequencies. The nonthermal spectrum consists of synchrotron radiation in the radio to X-ray range, and inverse Compton emission in the X-ray to gamma-ray region. A thermal spectrum peaking in the ultraviolet region and faint optical emission lines are also present in OVV quasars, but faint or non-existent in BL Lac objects.
    Last edited by Andre; 12-08-2008 at 09:28 PM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The TV remote control. Pure genius. I'm actually easily old enough, along with guys like legion, daxx, al, bilbo, scrap, andre, monkey, TM, etc who remember a time when you had to get off your ass to change the channel. PITA.

The VCR was also pretty cool. I remember the first time we rented one.

And the 10' satellite dish. Didn't get much sleep that summer. So much to watch.
    Last edited by Von Milash; 12-08-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea like CFH said the Internet. but the most amazing has to be video games. look who far we came from fukin nintendo to xbox live. and the graphics look real as fuk, and u have the ability to talk and play with people all over the world. how better can games get.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    The TV remote control. Pure genius. I'm actually easily old enough, along with guys like legion, daxx, al, bilbo, scrap, andre, monkey, TM, etc who remember a time when you had to get off your ass to change the channel. PITA.

And the 10' satellite dish. Didn't get much sleep that summer. So much to watch.
    Remember thinking Beta was better quality than VHS. That long back....We were the TV remote......."Hey son,flip the knob to 12"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nanotechnology. exciting things happening and coming.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    My company does some work with these guys. It's insane the machines they make.

Microfabrica: Dream Big, Invent Small

One of the benefits of the field I work in is that I get to see very highly advanced technology before it becomes public knowledge.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

One of the benefits of the field I work in is that I get to see very highly advanced technology before it becomes public knowledge.
    Let me know when they are about to introduce machines that will go in and scoop all the plaque from your arteries, and I'll buy some shares. Remember the movie Fantastic Voyage? It's my understanding that they're really not that far off from stuff like that.

Good call on nanotechnolgy, Youngblood.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let me know when they are about to introduce machines that will go in and scoop all the plaque from your arteries, and I'll buy some shares. Remember the movie Fantastic Voyage? It's my understanding that they're really not that far off from stuff like that.

That company I put the link up for is making machines that they hope will selectively eat cancer cells. The machine itself will actually be injected. Cleaning the arteries can't be that far off from the same technology.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That company I put the link up for is making machines that they hope will selectively eat cancer cells. The machine itself will actually be injected. Cleaning the arteries can't be that far off from the same technology.
    OK, that impresses me. awesome stuff.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post

Remember thinking Beta was better quality than VHS. That long back....We were the TV remote......."Hey son,flip the knob to 12"
    There are a few of us here that can honestly say "back in my day, we had to get up to change the channel"

Thread Information