Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1st sparring session ever last nite--some advice/help please?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 1st sparring session ever last nite--some advice/help please?

im 33 yrs old and started beginner no contact boxing classes this past may. i took 2 8 week beginner classes and started an advanced one , 4 week session just before thanksgiving. last nite was the first of 2 sparring classes before the class ends.

im 6'3 probably 260 ish, alot of muscle , some fat could be in better condition but for a guy my size not too bad. ive lost 40 lbs since early october. i was supposed to spar with this other big dude, about 6'1 maybe 270 280, big burly guy but not in great shape or condition. i was confident i would be able to outbox him easily.

as it turn sout, last nite he conspicuously "no showed" for our encounter. the instructor had me spar with 3 other guys. the first guy was pretty tall 6'2 ish 200+ pounds. not strong or sharp and a bit awkward and non athletic. yet i wanst able to hit him at will like i thought . i was able to bully him and rough him up (oh by the way let me add this is a controlled session with just jabs only) , he even quit toward the end of our second one minute round. but i was dissappointed in myself.

one other guy was about 5'10 200+ pounds, built like a fire hydrant. he has 15 yrs martial arts experience and like 5 yrs boxing. he had good faints and was getting in and out on me pretty good. hit me with some body shots that i basically stood there and took on purpose easily and he tagged be good with one quick jab. i was able to pop him a few times when i took my time with some clean jabs to his melon that seemed to shake him a little physically but he was tougha nd undetrred. the third guy was early 20's with , as the teacher put it, "alot of boxing experienece" he was 5'11 ish 190+ maybe with quick hands and feet. he hit me with a clean jab that buzzed me a little and rearranged my head gear a little. i was able to him him real clean with one jab that wobbled all over the gym and nearly put him thru a wal;l. but, he, also was undeterred and came back at me. he worked my body as well but again didnt phase me , i basically took those shots in order to get to him head. i couldnt get to either short dudes body at all.

in sum, what can i do next time out. the last session is jab and hook with the same hand only. overall i didnt do bad. the two real hard shots i took i ate up and the body work had no effect. i know these are smaller guys and so forth (although the older smaller guy looked to have a strong powerlifter type physique) but they are savvy experienced guys who know what they are doing clearly and this was my first time at the dance so to speak.

im nervous about next week. i wanna do better and feel like i should be dominant with my reach and jab and it just didnt go as good as i planned. i gave better than i got (especially against the taller thinner guy, who was a bit skittish and really didnt want to engage as much--but still i couldnt pepper him as clean as i wanted). i would really like to lay some hurt on the smaller quicker experienced guys. i wanna pick up the pace and fight better.

i was forcing the action too a little and was a little nervous admittedly for the first time.

can anyone offer me some help-advice? oh one ore thing, im southpaw and the other fighters are conventional. advice especially with the experienced shorter guys would be great. the other guy i feel i can do better with if i take my time more and hit more to the body and counter.

thans guys-im real nervous about next wek and wanna put opn a better show.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 1st sparring session ever last nite--some advice/help please?

Congratulations, chin down hands up and go to the trainer section.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: 1st sparring session ever last nite--some advice/help please?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Congratulations, chin down hands up and go to the trainer section.
    To expand on that: elbows in, eyes open and mouth shut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im southpar too, Im not tall im 5f8 68kg, My syle is to go forward.Alot of headmovment rolling slipping shots Come back with big upper cuts,hooks.i advise you to keep your elbows tucked in as it sounds you get cought to the body alot,Kepp your head moving making it a harder target.

Well done though for your sparing experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rowza View Post
    Well done though for your sparing experience

do u think so? i cant get it out of my head that i should have done better b/c of my size. also, i think i was too over anxious also, trying to force the action too much. i actually did a bit better countering and letting them come to me. i had planned next time out to wait on them and just counter rather than force the action at all even.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if your taller just jab !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All advice given by the Monkey on this board is caveated with "I wasnt there,and I dont have tape"
    But
    It sounds like you werent picking your angles to cut the ring down,and were just pursuing.
    You have to work the angles to get better shots in,see tendencies where they circle to,and have your fist there when they get there. Since your a southpaw,if your going to press,press their power hand,not their jab hand,you cut off the jab hand if you do that.

Thread Information