Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jab improvement

hi and happy xmas to all, i have a question about improving my jab- how should i train to do this...? any drills etc? my technique is ok i think its probably more getting the timing and also endurance and strentgh in the jab. my coach has a drill where we get in rhythm and hit the floor to ceiling ball in and out with jab for 1 min x3 with 30 secs rest between the 1 min rounds just started this last week and i can see the endueance benefits but will it make my jab slow as i am jabbing slower when tired?? any help regarding the jab would be great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jab improvement

no I don't think it will slow it down. Jabbing the DE bag all out for a few rounds will do you good.

IMO, it's actually quite difficult to work on your jab. You can do push ups, but IMO you have to tuck your elbow in when doing them to try to use the same muscles in the same proportions.

you can also do chest passes with a medicine ball... again, keep the elbow down.

I also "invented" a little gadget to work the jab muscles. I strapped a harness to my elbow and a bungee cord from the harness to a low point on a wall. Then just jab as though you were shadow boxing. It works the shoulder muscles incredibly well. You'd be surprised at how much resistance bungee cord will offer, especially when doubled up.

You can also do the same thing with the strap connected to your wrist to work more the tricep area to get that SNAP.

I think somewhere in the stuck thread or the subforum is a thread I started a couple years ago showing a pic of what I came up with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks Von M i suppose nothing will improve it like repetition, repetition, repetition! like my coach always says

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Merry christmas walker...I boxed for 9 months before my first fight. my coach at the time wouldn't even teach me anything else but to jab right up until it.

Step jab, snapping it etc . elbow tight to body. Guard in right place when throwing it. And yea, a ton of repetition. I am fairly sure my jab was better then, then it is now...since I learned all this other stuff and began developing a style.

Am probably due for refresher on how to jab again. Your coach sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks Youngblood i def think my jab was better when i spent time on it in thr past i suppose you can sometimes lose track of the very basics when there is so much to learn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Walker,

Don't mention it. One thing to keep in mind, when you jab the DE bag and you get tired, don't let the fatigue ruin your form. ie, bring it back nice and high. A lot of guys when tired will jab and bring their hand back low. It opens you to a nice right hand counter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Drills and that will excercise the arm extension. Improving the jab isn't necessarily done by just strengthening the motion, but also when and how yoiu throw it, and what you intend to do afterwards. If you put too much into your jab and lean into it, unless you make the right foot adjustments, your weight will be on your left leg and the right won't come naturally after it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if u want a perfect jab or ur jab 2 be the best it can we all know that practice make perfect so just look at ur jab in the mirror when shadow boxing and 2 make ur jab stronger and faster hold a light weight in ur jabbing hand or use a wrist weight. i wuld also reckomend watching winky wright as i think hes got the best jab. hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
    Drills and that will excercise the arm extension. Improving the jab isn't necessarily done by just strengthening the motion, but also when and how yoiu throw it, and what you intend to do afterwards. If you put too much into your jab and lean into it, unless you make the right foot adjustments, your weight will be on your left leg and the right won't come naturally after it.
    Great post mate, elastic probably is the most effective for building power and speed in your punches. Von M had it nailed I think.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Repetition,theres probably a hiccup in your motion,have a coach watch you carefully on the bag

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Walker,
    Youngblood wrote:
    Step jab, snapping it etc . elbow tight to body. Guard in right place when throwing it. And yea, a ton of repetition.
    Good advice.

To put it in a more systematic manner, the first step in improving your jab is by learning and utilizing optimum body mechanics. Youngblood touched upon it briefly but nicely. Once good form is developed, the second step is working on accuracy. The third step is working your timing in application. The fourth step is by improving your muscular endurance in application. The final step is putting it all together in sparring in gradient levels.

I'll expound on this when I have more time. Until next time, take care...

Happy New Year to you all!!!

Best Regards,
    Lito

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks for all the great replys and advice going to work on this big time have another question about counters something i want to work on suppose i will start a new thread happy new year to all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heavey gloves help also If you do Road Work (RUnning) Weighted Wrist straps and so on... I never do drills but i found using heavey gloves Helped alot Goign from 25onz to 10onz U feel the difference lol

ICB Guest

Larry Holmes once told me throw the jab like a whip, don't worry about the power just look for speed/snap. He also said he sometimes held his left hand low, because when he threw the jab in that position.

Because boxers watch the shoulders in boxing aswell as other things, but throwing the jab in that position they actually couldn't see it coming even if they are watching the shoulders. Very risky and not something i would advise doing but i thought i would throw that in there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walkersmith View Post
    hi and happy xmas to all, i have a question about improving my jab- how should i train to do this...? any drills etc? my technique is ok i think its probably more getting the timing and also endurance and strentgh in the jab. my coach has a drill where we get in rhythm and hit the floor to ceiling ball in and out with jab for 1 min x3 with 30 secs rest between the 1 min rounds just started this last week and i can see the endueance benefits but will it make my jab slow as i am jabbing slower when tired?? any help regarding the jab would be great

Whether it be shadowboxing, on the bag, or on the floor to ceiling ball, do about a hundred jabs, nonstop. And a hundred GOOD ones (make sure youre technique's good, etc.)

Thread Information