Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How about Hopkins Vs. Dawson

i mean ok, Chad Dawson is a natural lightheavyweight and is a lot more technically skilled than Pavlik, but why not see the ageless wonder that is Bernard Hopkins take on Dawson instead of watching a boring rematch of Dawson/Tarver 2, which honestly doesn't even need to be happening

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How about Hopkins Vs. Dawson

1. Calzaghe
    2. Johnson rematch
    3. Hopkins
    26. Tarver rematch
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well but remember Calzaghe doesn't want to be involved in a dieing sport anymore

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    well but remember Calzaghe doesn't want to be involved in a dieing sport anymore
    That's just foreplay for a big payday
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'd love to see Dawson drop Calzaghe (probably early again :P) and school him, has awesome skills but nowhere as awesome as he himself believes them to be, he needs to get his ego checked cause unlike Floyd (and i had his ego also) he hasn't faught all the best in every division he's stepped into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hopkins-Dawson is the biggest fight at LHW to be made, fuck Calzaghe after what he said, he should be irrelevant. IMO HOpkins won anyways. Hopkins-Dawson isn't about money, its about the two best fighting eachother.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I think Hopkins-Dawson is the biggest fight at LHW to be made, fuck Calzaghe after what he said, he should be irrelevant. IMO HOpkins won anyways. Hopkins-Dawson isn't about money, its about the two best fighting eachother.
    I highly doubt Dawson manages to corral Hopkins into the ring. Hopkins has publicly stated the risk outweighs the reward.

It's always about the money - that is why Calzaghe is relevant. And he beat two big players at lhw: Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones. Either way, my money is that Calzaghe is retiring, which would make him irrelevant.

Dawson v. Tarver II doesn't do anything for me. If Dawson wasn't contractually bound, I'd be almost bitter. There are many better fights out there at lhw: Hopkins as you mentioned, Diaconu, Erdei, and best of all - a rematch with Glen Johnson.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 12-24-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest, I think the only fight out there that is worth it for Hopkins is Calzaghe, & I think he's waiting to see what happens there. I think if JC retires, than Bernard will follow him, because I can see that as the only possible way to top the Pavlik victory, both financially & in terms of his legacy. Can't see the point in Dawson-Tarver II, it was just not competitive enough first time round. Would be good if Dawson looked into fightin someone like Kessler or Bute at a catchweight of 172 or something. Even Tavoris Cloud or a rematch with Johnson would be good. Or if they could manage it I would like to see him fight Zsolt Erdei & hopefully get rid of that wasteman from the division

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I highly doubt Dawson manages to coral Hopkins into the ring. Hopkins has publicly stated the risk outweighs the reward.

It's always about the money - that is why Calzaghe is relevant. And he beat two big players at lhw: Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones. Either way, my money is that Calzaghe is retiring, which would make him irrelevant.

Dawson v. Tarver II doesn't do anything for me. If Dawson wasn't contractually bound, I'd be almost bitter. There are many better fights out there at lhw: Hopkins as you mentioned, Diaconu, Erdei, and best of all - a rematch with Glen Johnson.
    Dawson is contractually bound to give Tarver a rematch and the fight is already set for March 14th.

Dawson-Tarver rematch set for March 14

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)

Updated: December 17, 2008, 11:14 PM ET

Former light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver has excelled in rematches during his career, going 3-0. After losing to Eric Harding, Roy Jones Jr. and Glen Johnson, Tarver bounced back to win the sequel.
    Now, Tarver will see if he can stay perfect in a rematch with Chad Dawson when they meet again March 14 on HBO's "World Championship Boxing." Although Tarver fought as well as he has in years, Dawson dominated him to claim a light heavyweight belt in a lopsided unanimous decision on Oct. 11 in Las Vegas in their long-awaited fight. Dawson dropped Tarver in the 12th round and won 118-109, 117-110 and 117-110 on the official scorecards. But Tarver, who turned 40 last month, had a rematch clause in his contract and promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com Wednesday night that he has finalized the fight. The bout will take place at a site to be determined, but Shaw said two of the venues in the running are the Foxwoods resort in Dawson's home state of Connecticut and The Palms resort in Las Vegas, which hosted the first fight. Although Dawson (27-0, 17 KOs) was obligated to give Tarver (27-5, 19 KOs) a rematch, it didn't have to be immediate. However, without a bigger fight on the horizon, Shaw said they decided to do the rematch now. "In discussing the options with Chad, we wanted to get this out of the way so if an opportunity came up to fight Bernard Hopkins or Joe Calzaghe, or somebody like that, we wouldn't have this fight with Tarver staring us in the face. So Chad said, 'You know what? Let me fight Tarver and get it over with. Let me knock him out this time and then I will have those options in front of me.' "Chad wants to do this, so he is very up for the rematch, and I'm sure Antonio is happy we are living by our contract." One of the intriguing aspects of the match is that it will take place on HBO, instead of Showtime, which has been associated with Dawson for years, nurturing him from a prospect on its "ShoBox: The New Generation" series to a world champion on its cornerstone series "Showtime Championship Boxing." However, HBO, with a bigger budget, offered Dawson, a 26-year-old entering his prime, a two-fight deal that Showtime didn't match. "[Showtime] had an opportunity to, let's say, re-sign Chad," Shaw said. "HBO has a big interest in Chad and when all the negotiations were over, it was best for Chad at this point to go to HBO. [Showtime boxing chief] Ken Hershman is ticked off at me and I know that. But at the end of the day I have to do what is best for my fighter." Showtime spent 16 months and millions of dollars televising Dawson and Tarver fights against lesser opponents in an effort to get them into the ring against each other. Shaw said that if Dawson defeats Tarver again, they are on "on the same page" as HBO. "We'd like to fight Hopkins, Calzaghe, [super middleweight titleholder] Mikkel Kessler, Jermain Taylor, any of them," Shaw said. "Whoever wants to fight at 175 pounds, Chad will fight."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe is a retard. I cant stand his arrogance. I'll give him credit for one thing and is that he works hard and he hussles. He has no power what so ever, his punches remind me of a 11 year old school girl in a slap fight. I still believe hopkins won their first fight. He wins fight based on his output and that alone. Not much skill IMO. I cant wait to see a flaw in his record. I think hopkins would beat dwson in a close UD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by levi#1BoxingFan View Post
    Calzaghe is a retard. I cant stand his arrogance. I'll give him credit for one thing and is that he works hard and he hussles. He has no power what so ever, his punches remind me of a 11 year old school girl in a slap fight. I still believe hopkins won their first fight. He wins fight based on his output and that alone. Not much skill IMO. I cant wait to see a flaw in his record. I think hopkins would beat dwson in a close UD.
    ha ha u been on the crack pipe again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you got something better princess?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope for the sake of Hopkins it never happens. Worst possible match up for him. Hopkins is an ATG but at 44 Chad is way too fast, strong, and busy for him. I wish hed retire but if he must fight again id rather it be Jones, even Kessler maybe.
    Only Forum Amature With Well Over 2000 Posts!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this fight has to happen if Dawson-JC doesnt happen. I will be interested to see the outcome of this fight, I think Dawson would win a close UD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

think calzaghe retires, & RJJ v Hopkins is the biggest fight out there for each of them

Thread Information