Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default basic southpaw counters

hi to all, just a question about southpaw counters, i am a short southpaw and want to work on more counter drills and reaction punching as in k weldon vid, does anyone know any good basic counters for southpaws etc?? any help greatly appreciated thanks

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: basic southpaw counters

Quote Originally Posted by walkersmith View Post
    hi to all, just a question about southpaw counters, i am a short southpaw and want to work on more counter drills and reaction punching as in k weldon vid, does anyone know any good basic counters for southpaws etc?? any help greatly appreciated thanks
    I would work on turning all my weakness into my strengths;
    Especially when against larger blokes who will try to control you with a longer reach and keeping you on the end of a stiff jab.

Facing a right hander is like facing a mirror, I would use my lesser height to pass under his jab, Check it releae it and go or cover and bend at the front knee and move in under it , turn as you slide under and your left hand rips up his centre line as you square up to him, now youre further away from his right hand and you have two hands against his one for a second or two and you are in close and can use your lower centre of gravity, leverage and greater balance and he has to correct and adjust to you, while youre banging from in close and on an angle to him right by his left arm and at your prefered range instead of at his.

If he jabs in front of your face and misses cause he is stillout of range or not yet committed (your right hand is right there by his elbow for control of his left, smash it further across towards his centre line as you move into your range and do the same as above as he reacts to whats happened, he will turn back into you and you are planted in a safe zone for a second and at your best range again.

For people in the same stance to manage this safley they should really square up at least or take their front leg back and switch stance slightly just before they take off, but you are in it already so your left hand will be already naturally comming in hard with your movement.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One counter I found that seems to work well against guys with longer reach is to slip/step outside their jab and jab to the head (if they aren't ducking behind their shoulder) or straight left to the body. Right hook to the body, or straight left to the head also work okay.

Make sure your step is long enough that you get in range and check your balance after you throw that counter. Hopefully you aren't fighting guys with too big a reach advantage!

Depending on what angles they are showing you you might have to slip/step inside. All of the counters I mentioned above work there, to, but make sure you keep your left hand covering your chin unless it's throwing a punch. Actually, if you have to slip inside you're better off just using your right to counter; if you get predictable with a counter left you will eventually get busted hard.

So try to slip outside whenever possible.
    Last edited by Leo; 01-02-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Cause I got left and right mixed up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks for the replies guys, i have to work big time on stepping in far enuff and not losing my balance when i do it, i always seem to be reaching for those body shots, cheers and happy new year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One that works for me alot is slipping the jab (Outhdox fighers) Countering with Left hand Uppercut Hook Straight whatever almost every time you can catch them Same as Slipping the right hand Come back with fast Hooks.... Stepping and roolling also is good to set up punches but sometimes leaves me open as i have my leading hand quite low.. My Stance is pritty much idling Calzaghe's.. If you want to see some nice counters and so on Watch a few of Roy Jones & calzaghe's Fights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i have to work big time on stepping in far enuff and not losing my balance when i do it, i always seem to be reaching for those body shots
    If that's correct you might want to look bobbing/weaving into punching range as opposed to countering with just a quick step in.

I don't know what kind of reach differential you're looking to overcome but if it seems like you have to reach all the time than that could be a hint that in-fighting will be better suited to your body type.

That's something to ask your coach about.

Happy New Year back atcha!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    i have to work big time on stepping in far enuff and not losing my balance when i do it, i always seem to be reaching for those body shots
    If that's correct you might want to look bobbing/weaving into punching range as opposed to countering with just a quick step in.

I don't know what kind of reach differential you're looking to overcome but if it seems like you have to reach all the time than that could be a hint that in-fighting will be better suited to your body type.

That's something to ask your coach about.

Happy New Year back atcha!
    Practice when sparring ,going in heel to toe with your front foot instead of staying on your toes; then recorrect the back foot should help in stopping you over reaching. Timing and practice, you cant just walk on into one though. Physically very quickly checking their lead arm with your glove as you move can get the distance and timing better and get you a feel for where you are about to land and sit on one, and then re go from there.Timing /saftey first, something to spar in.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The basic of all basics,they are just as exposed as you are,and feel every bit as exposed as you feel

Thread Information