Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Damn UFC Dana White talking trash on Boxing and Oscar De La Hoya.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Damn UFC Dana White talking trash on Boxing and Oscar De La Hoya.

some of you might agree with this...i kinda agree cause the under cards are shitty and oscar is pretty greedy.

UFC President Dana White criticizes Oscar De La Hoya

“I used (boxing) as the blueprint of what not to do. Boxing doesn’t do what I would do if I was running one of these cards,” White said. “When De La Hoya and Mayweather had their pay-per-view with over 1 million buys, he could have stacked that card with all the talent Golden Boy has. You know why he didn’t? He didn’t want to give up the money. Nobody in boxing is willing to invest money back into boxing’s future. We do in the UFC. The money that we make we invest back into the business. We use it to help the grow the sport. Nobody in boxing is willing to do that. And because of that, in my opinion, they have no reason to sit around and (cry) their sport is dying. A lot of people love that De La Hoya is a fighter and the promoter but thing is, it leaves you short-sighted. And he only cares about himself. He knows he gets the pay-per-views when he fights but he doesn’t stack the card with fights that will build future fights. You have to invest in a company and De La Hoya is not willing to do that.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Damn UFC Dana White talking trash on Boxing and Oscar De La Hoya.

I can't find fault with what he said.

The UFC does nothing for me but they do please the fans, that's what keeps it popular, fans keep coming back because they make fights they (the fans) want to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't think the UFC stacks their cards that much, I think people under value the talent of the guys lots of times on the undercard of boxing, UFC just sells those other guys a lot better. Fringe contenders in UFC are known because they are hyped so much, and the people who are forgettable are usually ushered out of the UFC as soon as they lose, but UFC is more a popularity contest than boxing is, hence why Lesner got a title shot so quickly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This guy is getting real tired. We should stop talking about him; i mean if UFC is so popular and boxing is dying why does he spend so much time talking about it? THe fact is this guy was probably a WWE fan before the whole UFC thing and he now has that same childish attitude!

I mean lets face it just because boxing and UFC are combat sports does not mean they are simmilar or competing for the same audience! I mean when was the last time you saw someone who plays/ likes tennis go on about how badminton is dying? or a snooker player saying pool is dying out? typical childish behaviour when it comes to combat sports and former wrestling fans.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres truth to what Dana says about Oscar . He is defo a money whore. His undercards suck . Im sick of watching boring midgets with no power dance around for 12 rounds.

Don king still knows how to put on a good card cuz he considers the whole event as opposed to just the main attraction

Dana showed how it should be done. 3 big figts on 1 card . Thats how you justify ppv!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Damn UFC Dana White talking trash on Boxing and Oscar De La Hoya.

Quote Originally Posted by piye View Post
    This guy is getting real tired. We should stop talking about him; i mean if UFC is so popular and boxing is dying why does he spend so much time talking about it? THe fact is this guy was probably a WWE fan before the whole UFC thing and he now has that same childish attitude!

I mean lets face it just because boxing and UFC are combat sports does not mean they are simmilar or competing for the same audience! I mean when was the last time you saw someone who plays/ likes tennis go on about how badminton is dying? or a snooker player saying pool is dying out? typical childish behaviour when it comes to combat sports and former wrestling fans.
    Very good question! Is he trying to convince the public or himself when he makes these statements? I think some boxing fans took offense when some MMA fans said boxing is dying, tired & old.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does anybodt remember the Don King shows of the 90s.

They were always packed full of talent.

For example,Jeff Fench-Azuma Nelson was an undercard fight on a Tyson show.

I agree with what White said,most big fight undercards are crap tody.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When UFC fighters get to the mat, and grapple 14 minutes ot of the 3, 5-minute rounds (?), it gets old fairly quick. IMO Bores me to tears, unmanly way of combat at times. Strikers? There! They're the ones who give excitement to their sport, approximating that of a second tier matchup in boxing!

To cut to the chase, UFC needs to still promote their product, cause if you are on to their overhype, their dates will be boring. So, they are still in need to trumpet their product.

Straddling on to Boxing's biggest PPV star is cheap publicity. A guaranteed cheap advertisement for UFC. The move by Dana White reeks of an intention to encroach, and capture on some of boxing's demographic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look it's obvious that boxing and UFC are MUCH different. Who's perceived as a star, how to become a star, etc...Boxing is much different from the UFC and I don't like how Dana is always trying to compare the two.

The UFC is great at marketing guys with a 20-9 or 2-1 record as champions and legitimate opponents. In boxing a 20-9 fighter is considered a journeyman or tomato can and a guy with a 2-1 record is considered garbage pretty much. In boxing, if you match a 20-9 guy against a 13-3 guy, that fight won't even make it on Friday Night Fights. It takes a lot longer to build people up in boxing and I think that this is something Dana White doesn't understand.

UFC doesn't have that much history so they can market guys like Lesnar, A.Silva, Rampage, and some of these other dudes because they are the best fighters in a business with basically no history. Boxing has a 100+ years of history so the fans aren't gonna buy into the fact that a 13-3 welterweight is the next big thing in boxing when history has shown that recent stars and P4Pers like SRL, Hearns, ODLH, Trinidad, Mayweather, Cotto, and whoever else, were all pretty much undefeated for their first 20-25 fights and that all these guys end up with only like 4-5 losses on their records when they retire. So if a guy starts off with 3 losses in his first 16 fights, boxing history has shown that the guy pretty much will be a journeyman and in boxing, there's really no way to market that. The public won't buy into that fighter when there's so many undefeated or better fighters out there.

But what Dana White is correct about is that NOBODY in boxing is investing in the future. Yeah sure, Dana White doesn't pay his guys all that much, but he pays them a good amount and he's always investing back into the business. Nobody in boxing does this. The so-called saviors of the sport, Golden Boy Promotions, are also probably one of the biggest rapists of the sport too. Nobody is trying to develop a new business model on how to market fighters, they are just using the same greedy methods that have plagued the sport forever especially in the last 20 years.

Two things can be done to really help boxing out, promoters must get more exposure and publicity for their younger guys. I really like what the networks were doing with guys like Angulo, Gamboa, and Kirkland. Having them together on a single televised card to keep the cost down while still profiling them during the development of their careers. More cards need to be done like this. That would require more money from HBO and Showtime but it can be viewed as an investment in the hopes that at least one, if not all, of these guys will be a PPV star and cash cow in the future. HBO especially has been really bad about focusing their money and time on old stars like ODLH, B-Hop, JoeCal, RJJ, to squeeze out every last profit from these guys before they retire. But nobody is investing in the future stars. Promoters and networks should be focused on exposure for people that are still gonna be around in at least 3-4 years.

Also, Dana was completely correct about PPV undercards. That point has been beat to death. Seriously, are you fucking telling me that ODLH can't take 2-3 Million from the entire promotion which means him taking a small pay cut to pay for better fighters and fights on the undercard? I really find that hard to believe. It's the greediest shit I've ever seen. ODLH is still thinking like a fighter and not a smart promoter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I really don't think the UFC stacks their cards that much, I think people under value the talent of the guys lots of times on the undercard of boxing, UFC just sells those other guys a lot better. Fringe contenders in UFC are known because they are hyped so much, and the people who are forgettable are usually ushered out of the UFC as soon as they lose, but UFC is more a popularity contest than boxing is, hence why Lesner got a title shot so quickly.
    That's good thoughts... They do sell their undercard fighters much better.. With boxing it's like, THE BIG BIG BIG FIGHT, and here's a few others chucked in blah blah blah...
    I think the worlds just changing in a way. There is a lot less respect out there for ANYTHING.. Boxing included.. UFC markets towards accomodating the glitz and glammer entertainment of the year 2000... Boxing is still using relatively the same recipe as many years back.. People that still respect the sport, love the sport... But it's accomodating to fewer and fewer people just because it hasn't changed with the times..... Personally i'm glad, because i'd hate to see boxing become a lights and clown show (sorry UFC), but it's clear that it isn't going to start bringing in a tonne of new fans.... That's just the only way you can see it..
    But to be honest, UFC will never come close to being HALF what boxing is.... And that douce knows it which is why he's out there blaring about how boxing is dieing...

But on the other note, I would not be complaining if like the Don King example, when they are planning a PPV, the plan it as an event.. Have three big fights.. It would be huge to attend, and well worth paying... I mean, as a true fan, most half decent PPV's will have fights of interest on the undercard.. But for passing fans, there is a bit left to be desired...
    They just like to stretch out all the big fights and make events of them on their own.. Why waste 2 big fights on the one night when you can have them 2 seperate weekends..? Thinking of it $$$ wise, there is no question..
    Last edited by Dizaster; 12-30-2008 at 11:47 AM.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Damn UFC Dana White talking trash on Boxing and Oscar De La Hoya.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Great points! A guy getting & winning the HW title with a 2-1 record? Now he's 3-1, what a gaudy record! What would Dana say about boxing if a guy with a 2-1 record received a title shot - let alone won it?

The other thing is, guys in UFC can get KO'd brutally (like Chuck Liddell) & if he wins his next fight, he could be close to another title shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Moono View Post
    some of you might agree with this...i kinda agree cause the under cards are shitty and oscar is pretty greedy.

UFC President Dana White criticizes Oscar De La Hoya

“I used (boxing) as the blueprint of what not to do. Boxing doesn’t do what I would do if I was running one of these cards,” White said. “When De La Hoya and Mayweather had their pay-per-view with over 1 million buys, he could have stacked that card with all the talent Golden Boy has. You know why he didn’t? He didn’t want to give up the money. Nobody in boxing is willing to invest money back into boxing’s future. We do in the UFC. The money that we make we invest back into the business. We use it to help the grow the sport. Nobody in boxing is willing to do that. And because of that, in my opinion, they have no reason to sit around and (cry) their sport is dying. A lot of people love that De La Hoya is a fighter and the promoter but thing is, it leaves you short-sighted. And he only cares about himself. He knows he gets the pay-per-views when he fights but he doesn’t stack the card with fights that will build future fights. You have to invest in a company and De La Hoya is not willing to do that.”
    It's easy to stack your under-cards when you pay your fighters minimum wage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guys like Dana White are half the reason I don't like UFC. Rather than being gracious he trashes boxing at every turn. Rather than comparing UFC in a favorable manner to boxing he downgrades it and then says UFC is better. That doesn't ingratiate UFC to a boxing fan like me.

The other reason I don't like UFC is because it's very very gay. I can't wait until someone posts a pic of two dudes in nuthuggers practically 69ing each other, but it's supposed to be some kind of 'submission' hold. I know that last statement came out wrong but there was no other way of writing it.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Killface View Post
    Guys like Dana White are half the reason I don't like UFC. Rather than being gracious he trashes boxing at every turn. Rather than comparing UFC in a favorable manner to boxing he downgrades it and then says UFC is better. That doesn't ingratiate UFC to a boxing fan like me.

The other reason I don't like UFC is because it's very very gay. I can't wait until someone posts a pic of two dudes in nuthuggers practically 69ing each other, but it's supposed to be some kind of 'submission' hold. I know that last statement came out wrong but there was no other way of writing it.

I agree! Since boxing/striking is a part of MMA, why should anyone trash it?

Also agree with the post about when they wrestle on the ground. I've heard people say MMA is like a real fight. In a real fight, it's not always one on one or people use weapons in real fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

F**K Dana White

Thread Information