Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Of National Importance

Ive tried and Tried, Nowhere can I get decent Fish and Chips anymore in England what the Fuck is going on. The last good one I had was at Boston Mass at the Harbour 15 years ago,
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Of National Importance

We do ok in Torquay. Hanbury's has won Fish and Chip Shop of the year about 5 times in the last decade. Frank Bruno presented the award once.

Drakes is another local chippy that serves very high nice fish and chips indeed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Ive tried and Tried, Nowhere can I get decent Fish and Chips anymore in England what the Fuck is going on. The last good one I had was at Boston Mass at the Harbour 15 years ago,
    15 ywears ago you say? Wasn't that when they stopped wrapping your dinner in newspaper? Maybe you just got addicted to the taste of newsprint and never recovered?

Just kidding. But 15 years or so ago is about when the cod stocks collapsed off the east coast of Canada, I imagine it might be the same elswhere? Is the type of fish an issue?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    15 ywears ago you say? Wasn't that when they stopped wrapping your dinner in newspaper? Maybe you just got addicted to the taste of newsprint and never recovered?

Just kidding. But 15 years or so ago is about when the cod stocks collapsed off the east coast of Canada, I imagine it might be the same elswhere? Is the type of fish an issue?
    To be honest it's more likely decades of smoking like a trooper have fucked his tastebuds and left everything tasting of tobacco and smoke

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo that could be the problem, but I know its not. Everybody feels the same. Mum and Dad had the best Chippy in the North everybody said so. Nowadays they cook in oil not Fat, I think thats the reason. CGM we get ours from the same ocean but further east, I heard the stocks are lower its mostly Cod or Halibut we eat.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Over here it's pretty much all halibut, I'd be surprised if you can buy cod fish and chips above the table anywhere in Canada, and if you could it would be very expensive.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CGM, Funny that the price of Cod over here is as expensive as Beef Steak, never use to be

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Over here it's pretty much all halibut, I'd be surprised if you can buy cod fish and chips above the table anywhere in Canada, and if you could it would be very expensive.
    Cod here is cheaper than halibut here, which is too bad because halibut is far superior IMO.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo that could be the problem, but I know its not. Everybody feels the same. Mum and Dad had the best Chippy in the North everybody said so. Nowadays they cook in oil not Fat, I think thats the reason. CGM we get ours from the same ocean but further east, I heard the stocks are lower its mostly Cod or Halibut we eat.
    Yeah the oil change could be a cause. I still think the chips in Drakes and Hanbury's in Torquay are good though, although I have to say I rarely eat chips, maybe once a year or so.

I always buy fresh Cod and Haddock myself though every couple weeks. I know from experience if you don't cook it within about ten minutes of buying it it seems to start stinking like a whore's vagina and tasting pretty much as bad.

Maybe modern chippies don't use such fresh fish as in the past?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They fry them in palm oil and other assorted vegetable-based crap these days. Find somebody who fries in beef dripping, they'll taste just like they used to.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would give my left leg to have a portion of chips with lots of salt and vingegar. Yum Yum. Made some chips the other day, but they were rubbish. Chips always tasted better down the chippy, and if the chippy is going to pot then that is not a good sign at all. Chips are cheap they shouldnt be trying to cut costs on oil if thats what they are doing.

The rotters, off with their heads!!

Thread Information