Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default De La Hoya's next opponent

SO this is very interesting, The Ring (Oscar's magazine) has printed this article saying we (the public) know Oscar's not at the top of his game anymore but although he's not one of the games elite, there are still fights out there that make sense. They list the following:

Felix Trinidad
    Shane Mosley
    Julio C. Chavez Jr.
    Zab Judah
    Ike Quartay

So this is a two part question

A. Are any of these fights worth making?
    B. IS Oscar using the magazine to try to lure these fighters into the ring?

If De La Hoya fights on, here's 5 opponents he might consider
    Last edited by Onix; 01-06-2009 at 03:50 AM.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: De La Hoya's next opponent

If he gives Judah that payday, I will hunt him down and kill him in his panty-wearing sleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Mosley beat Margarito, I'd see him angling a fight.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OnixAA View Post
    SO this is very interesting, The Ring (Oscar's magazine) has printed this article saying we (the public) know Oscar's not at the top of his game anymore but although he's not one of the games elite, there are still fights out there that make sense. They list the following:

Felix Trinidad
    Shane Mosley
    Julio C. Chavez Jr.
    Zab Judah
    Ike Quartay

So this is a two part question

A. Are any of these fights worth making?
    B. IS Oscar using the magazine to try to lure these fighters into the ring?

If De La Hoya fights on, here's 5 opponents he might consider
    Oscar doesn't need the magazine to lure fighters into the ring. All he has to do is say "I want to fight you." Usually works for him

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My first question is why? He has all the money in the world. Plus a once great career is now turning into a joke. Please retire Oscar.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's fighting reality and what he might have left....and he is behind on points.Put a fork in him....seriously!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    My first question is why? He has all the money in the world. Plus a once great career is now turning into a joke. Please retire Oscar.
    I agree its time to call it a day. Taking nothing away from Pac but the ODLH that fought Trinidad at WW would have destroyed him IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look, this guy needs to go ahead and retire, but I guess I understand him at least wanting to leave on a winning note.

Sidenote: I just realized in some ways ODLH-Trinidad is kinda similar to Cotto-Margarito. ODLH & Cotto were the better boxers and boxed effectively for the first eight rounds of the fight and showed their superiority in doing it. But both wasted so much energy in boxing/moving that it was impossible to keep that pace for a full 12 rounds. The difference between the two fights is that Cotto has too much fighter in him and also couldn't deal with the massive pressure Margarito put on him so he went out on his shield. ODLH on the other hand, ran for dear life and was extremely lucky that Trinidad is also somewhat of a boxer too and didn't display the type of pressure Margarito did.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar is as done as they come.

I will laugh if they try to flog any of this rubbish as PPV. The old drag queen should just retire.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think De La Hoya till has plenty of fight left in him at light middle, probably even welter, he and his team did himself no favours trying to psych Freddie and Manny out by coming in 2 lbs under the limit and keeping so low so long before the fight.

Those extra 2 pounds would have been the difference between him standing still and actually fighting back.

Im not a particular fan of Oscars but he is deffinitly a better fighter than the moron who did nothing against Manny, normally a face first fighter like Pac would suit Oscar, he just had nothing in the tank because of coming in so low.

He may have completely tired out his body, at least for a good few months anyway, if he really wants a big win to finish on I think hes gonna HAVE to take another soft fight between, a deffinite guaranteed win, to guage where hes at before he embarrasses himself again.

To be honest non of those fights are worth watching anyway because I dont find Oscars style very astheticaly pleasing, he needs to be in a tear up for his last fight, just a good ol scrap, so id say chance his luck and fight Margarito after he beats Shane at a weight that suits Oscar.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even as one of the biggest Oscar-haters here, I'd probably start feeling a bit sorry for Oscar if he were deluded enough to get into the ring again. It would be just plain sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Oscar is shot mentally, more than physically as a fighter. For one it seems he lets what he perceives to be the public's opinion cloud his judgment. In the Mayweather fight he was winning with his jab. I realize some credit is probably due to Mayweather adjusting his game plan, but I almost thought I could hear ODLH wheels turning in his head, "I have to be more exciting!", so he started trying to rough MW up and abandoned his jab that was winning the fight for him.

With Pac, I don't think he really wanted a real fight. Look at who he picked as a warm-up: Steve Forbes. In that fight he looked very uncomfortable with the punishment his face was taking. Then he takes on Pac, probably thinking he's not in much danger of getting hurt. When he perceives the criticism for picking on someone small, he makes the stupid decision to come in light.

In the Pac fight he actually had a chance to at least make a fight of it, but either didn't realize it, or didn't have the cajones to commit. A couple of times he pushed Pac into the ropes and had some success. I think if he had done that a lot more (esp. if he'd put some weight back on), he could have at least made a respectable fight out of it, maybe won.

Of course, this is the exact opposite of the scenario with Mayweather. In one fight you have him abandoning what was working, and in the other you have him not able to switch to plan B, even though he had some success with it, and they're flip sides of the same coin! To be fair, it seemed like his corner in the pac fight couldn't make any adjustments in their game plan either.

Boxing is too serious a sport to be fucking around half assed with, and Oscar's PPV potential has to be greatly diminished, but somehow fighters seem to just get more delusional...
    Last edited by Myk_Myk; 01-06-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As an Oscar fan I would say he has nothing left but who the hell am I to tell him to stop fighting and making money. True he has made more money than anyone in the ring beside's maybe Tyson. If he wants to fight what the hell why not. I would take Tito have a tune-up a on the same card as Tito to build it up then boom The Rematch is set.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    As an Oscar fan I would say he has nothing left but who the hell am I to tell him to stop fighting and making money. True he has made more money than anyone in the ring beside's maybe Tyson. If he wants to fight what the hell why not. I would take Tito have a tune-up a on the same card as Tito to build it up then boom The Rematch is set.
    Nobody should ever pay to watch Oscar again though, its known as fraud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last time I checked, It's a free country. Allow the man to do what he wants to. He should therefore, go after Margarito or Cotto, if he really wants to prove anything. They are the fighters whom he was accused of ducking. If he thinks he still got it, for the love of boxing, let the man fight. I'd pay to watch it. Anyone?

Thread Information