Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Has Any Fighter In Recent Memory Fought As Many Quality Fighters In A Row Than JMM ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Has Any Fighter In Recent Memory Fought As Many Quality Fighters In A Row Than JM

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I've defended Calzaghe's record in the part, but saying he has fought better competition than JMM or Pac in his last several fights is absurd.

Barring the unjustifiable Manfredo fight, Calzaghe's last half-a-dozen are top draw.

What current other fighter between 160-175 would remain unbeaten through - Lacy, Keslser, Bika, Hopkins and Roy?
    You can't just ignore the Manfredo fight though. Hopkins was a great win for Calzaghe (I feel that he lost the fight by 1 round, but I guess I must be a twit), Kessler was a great win as well (hopefully he does something in the future to justify this position), as was Lacy at the time, but Bika, Manfredo, and Jones were not great opponents IMO. Bika was a rugged 2nd tier fighter, Manfredo was Manfredo, and Jones was a shadow of what he used to be (though the way in which Calzaghe beat him was impressive).

It's a very high level of opposition, but I don't feel that it compares with that of some of the other fighters mentioned.
    I said the Manfredo fight was unjustifiable.

Which current fighter between 160-175 do you think would remain unbeaten against those guys?
    What does that have to do with the original question?

Manfredo has to be taken into account by virtue of the question asked, he can't simply be disregarded in terms of Calzaghe's recent opposition, because he was one of Calzaghe's recent opponents.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Has Any Fighter In Recent Memory Fought As Many Quality Fighters In A Row Than JM

I've defended Calzaghe's record in the part, but saying he has fought better competition than JMM or Pac in his last several fights is absurd.

You can't just ignore the Manfredo fight though. Hopkins was a great win for Calzaghe (I feel that he lost the fight by 1 round, but I guess I must be a twit), Kessler was a great win as well (hopefully he does something in the future to justify this position), as was Lacy at the time, but Bika, Manfredo, and Jones were not great opponents IMO. Bika was a rugged 2nd tier fighter, Manfredo was Manfredo, and Jones was a shadow of what he used to be (though the way in which Calzaghe beat him was impressive).

It's a very high level of opposition, but I don't feel that it compares with that of some of the other fighters mentioned.

Which current fighter between 160-175 do you think would remain unbeaten against those guys?

Manfredo has to be taken into account by virtue of the question asked, he can't simply be disregarded in terms of Calzaghe's recent opposition, because he was one of Calzaghe's recent opponents.
    Oh right.. I was just asking your opinion. It's not a challenge.

I never said Calzaghe's opposition was any better or worse than anyone elses.

Some people seem to think Calzaghe's current record is laughable. Fair enough.. but I can't find a current fighter around his weight to match it
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some people seem to think Calzaghe's current record is laughable. Fair enough.. but I can't find a current fighter around his weight to match it
    I certainly don't think his record is laughable, I just don't think it's as good as that of some other fighters. Like I said, it wasn't meant as a slight against Calzaghe.

As for the question, without really thinking about it I would say Jermaine Taylor and Chad Dawson would have the best shot of fighting those opponents and staying unbeaten (Taylor's already beat Hopkins x2 and Lacy).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar De La Hoya fought world class opposition fight in fight out for 10 years.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I certainly don't think his record is laughable, I just don't think it's as good as that of some other fighters. Like I said, it wasn't meant as a slight against Calzaghe.

As for the question, without really thinking about it I would say Jermaine Taylor and Chad Dawson would have the best shot of fighting those opponents and staying unbeaten (Taylor's already beat Hopkins x2 and Lacy).
    Ha! Yes Taylor is nearly there. His win over Hopkins looks a bit flukey in light of his current form. In fact i'd back Hopkins to beat him should they meet again. I think Kessler would beat him all day long too.

Dawson probably has the most potential. But the opposition would still be a jump in class for him too.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    JMM is not over rated he is unlucky and would have beat Naz before MAB did.
    I'm with MASTER. Naz ducked Marquez and Marquez would've also done a number on him very similarly to what Barrera did.

Marquez was offered the Naz fight but unfortunately BOTTLED it. Fact.
    JMM was number one contender for 2 years and did not get a shot. there was only one reason why he turned it down because it must have been a joke offer. Marquez has done an interview in the recent Ring mag.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post

I'm with MASTER. Naz ducked Marquez and Marquez would've also done a number on him very similarly to what Barrera did.

Marquez was offered the Naz fight but unfortunately BOTTLED it. Fact.
    JMM was number one contender for 2 years and did not get a shot. there was only one reason why he turned it down because it must have been a joke offer. Marquez has done an interview in the recent Ring mag.
    Marquez turned down the fight in 2000 - which Augie Sanchez took. It wasn't money, he was offered around $500,000 which i believe would have been a career high payday by MILES! He said he wasn't ready but would like to fight Hamed in the future when he (Marquez) wins an alphabet.

Yes he spent two years as WBO no.1 but he was an absolute nobody.

Fact is - he was offered the Naz fight but refused it.

Thread Information