Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Campbell vacates his WBA Lightweight Title

Boxing News -- 24 hours/day - Reload often

WBO / IBF Lightweight Champion Nate Campbell has elected to vacate the WBA Lightweight Super Champion Title. Campbell, (32-5-1, 25 KOs) issued the following statement regarding his decision:

“I really wanted to try and unify the lightweight titles, but looking at reality, it just isn’t going to happen, at least not in 09. Not that I’m looking past my Feb. 14th IBF mandatory with Ali Funeka, because I’m not. Funeka deserves, and unfortunately for him, he will get my full and undivided attention. But there just isnt any way I see that I would be able to do my WBA mandatory defense against Paulus Moses, or whoever has the regular title then. After Feb. 14, I really hope to fight the Juan Manuel Marquez - Juan Diaz winner next, and then right after that I have a WBO mandatory due with Barerra. So there’s no way I can fullfill my mandatory obligation to the WBA. So rather than pay sanction fees on it for the next few fights, knowing full well I wont be able to defend it without giving up my WBO belt, (which I won’t do), I decided to just go ahead and vacate the WBA title now. I still have the desire to someday unify all the belts, but I also have to balance that desire against the reality of the sport these days. There just arent enough opportunities to fight in order to maintain all the titles. Besides, if I do get the Marquez-Diaz winner next, then any and all debate about who the “real” lightweight champ is will be over once and for all. And after that, if my choice of mandatories is between Barerra or Moses, well no disrespect to Moses, but thats really a no-brainer. I do appreciate the WBA having recognized me as their Super Champion, and this decision in no way is a reflection on their organization.”
    Nate Campbell
    IBF / WBO / NBA Lightweight Champion

permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Campbell vacates his WBA Lightweight Title

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post

WBO / IBF Lightweight Champion Nate Campbell has elected to vacate the WBA Lightweight Super Champion Title. Campbell, (32-5-1, 25 KOs) issued the following statement regarding his decision:

“I really wanted to try and unify the lightweight titles, but looking at reality, it just isn’t going to happen, at least not in 09. Not that I’m looking past my Feb. 14th IBF mandatory with Ali Funeka, because I’m not. Funeka deserves, and unfortunately for him, he will get my full and undivided attention. But there just isnt any way I see that I would be able to do my WBA mandatory defense against Paulus Moses, or whoever has the regular title then. After Feb. 14, I really hope to fight the Juan Manuel Marquez - Juan Diaz winner next, and then right after that I have a WBO mandatory due with Barerra. So there’s no way I can fullfill my mandatory obligation to the WBA. So rather than pay sanction fees on it for the next few fights, knowing full well I wont be able to defend it without giving up my WBO belt, (which I won’t do), I decided to just go ahead and vacate the WBA title now. I still have the desire to someday unify all the belts, but I also have to balance that desire against the reality of the sport these days. There just arent enough opportunities to fight in order to maintain all the titles. Besides, if I do get the Marquez-Diaz winner next, then any and all debate about who the “real” lightweight champ is will be over once and for all. And after that, if my choice of mandatories is between Barerra or Moses, well no disrespect to Moses, but thats really a no-brainer. I do appreciate the WBA having recognized me as their Super Champion, and this decision in no way is a reflection on their organization.”
    Nate Campbell

permission.
    This is why I like Nate Campbell. NO B.S. I hope he gets his payday against Marquez. He deserves it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You an always count on the wba to make sure there as many champions as possible.
    Balls

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post

Nate Campbell

permission.
    Thats one of the classiest interviews i've seen from a fighter, good on you Nate Campbell

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glaringly obvious case of a fighter not needing a trinket to call himself a Champion.The man is a realist.And I do believe he will fight Barrera.

Call me a cynic,he'll need to watch his back in that WBA defense,and not only from Funekas side!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive been around Nate and he is definately a no nonsense kind of guy. Hes a sharp thinker that understands the sport, also funny as hell. He really enjoys being a fighter and definately likes being Nate Campbell.
    Only Forum Amature With Well Over 2000 Posts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is why the alphabet titles are pure bull shit. They are not lost and won in the ring.

Nate should throw them all in the trash and just start taking out everyone until he can get a title shot from JMM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well done Nate, go get that paper...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Nate too but I wish him the worst of luck if he ever meets Barrera

Nate used to be a fool when he fought Pedan but hes paid his dues now I hope he earns well from his titles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought the WBA created the "super champion" designation so unified belt holders would not have to worry about mandatories (and so they could create the bogus "regular" title, thus putting more sanctioning fees in their pockets)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ClubberLang View Post
    I thought the WBA created the "super champion" designation so unified belt holders would not have to worry about mandatories (and so they could create the bogus "regular" title, thus putting more sanctioning fees in their pockets)?
    The super champion was created to so that the WBA could collect mandatories for both titles. The super champion has a few extra months to make his mandatory.

With their 3 champions per division, the WBA is going to ruin the whole alphabet system. Look at Nate Campbel. He had three alphabet trinkets and no one cared. Imagine if he did that 15 years ago. He would have been much more in demand.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't like the WBA anymore. All the 'Super Champion' stuff just entitled them to more sanctioning fees and could sometimes lead to 3 fighters being their World Champion in a weight division.

Unified Champions have always had a tough time trying to stick to the unflexible schedules and demands of the alphabelt organizations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

all the alphabet groups have to do to make things a million times better is have unified mandatories. If Pavlik has the WBO and the WBC, the each organizations mandatories should have to fight each other for the right to fight for the unified titles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welcome to the political world of Boxing Nate Campbell, i don't blame him at all for giving up the WBA belt. He wants to fight the best fighters out there and what he has said makes a lot sense.
    I like Nate Campbell, he has won my admiration for coming back after making a huge mistake (Peden) and going on to further his career. I hope he gets his big fight this year.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm pretty much just echoing Lance Uppercut...

Good on ya Nate, you should have done that in the 1st place, anyone remember Campbells blah blah blah about Casamayor not being champ because he had all these belts? Now it sounds like Campbell has realized just how worthless those belts really are. "Besides, if I do get the Marquez-Diaz winner next, then any and all debate about who the “real” lightweight champ is will be over once and for all." And there won't even need to be a single alphabet trinket involved!!! See how simple & effective The Rings championship policy is!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Thread Information