Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile golden gloves

im 32 years old i live in somerville nj im training to fight in golden gloves tournment in nj in 2009 im not able to get a trainer or join a gym because of financial reasons and there are no gyms in my county even if i could afford a trainer i have an old beat up pickup truck that wont make it to far but im very dedicated i run everynight i just got a heavy bag that i workout on everynight im very fast and have good cordination and i no i can do well im looking for some opinions or options i might be able to take to help my situation if anyone has any please dont leave any negetive i appretiate it thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: golden gloves

If you are referring to the actual Golden Gloves tournament then you may not be able to enter (for a few reasons).
    A: Are you registered with USA boxing?
    B: Do they have a novice division of the tournament for match bouts? GG is a national advancing tournament, you have to have a minimum of 5 bouts to enter and often times you'll be matched with someone with a significant amount of experience.

But you can't do anything until you are a registered athlete. And I wouldn't recommend entering a bout with no training.

Honestly, if you're 32 and have no intention of joining a proper boxing gym, you should just do toughman or club boxing. Bare in mind that once you do one of those you are barred from amateur boxing for life. But you only have 3 years left to compete as an amateur anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Normaly how many months/years? does a beginner boxer begin to start participate in amatuer fights?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beginers09 View Post
    Normaly how many months/years? does a beginner boxer begin to start participate in amatuer fights?
    When they are ready. Usually is in the first year. I've seen as early as 3 months, and as late as many years. Myself was at 9 months of training and on the day of my 13th birthday.

Sometimes people are more prepared naturally, or maybe have been in a combative sport so it will come to them quicker as their bodies have likely already conditioned. Sometimes people will join boxing for the fitness...then after many years decide, "heck...I want a fight!" Other times, never. I see this in the eyes of people at my gym, from some that have trained for years. But for some reason they never do get medicaled and have that first fight.

A fighters mentality is not in everyone I believe. It isn't an anger. It is a sort of hunger.

When all is said and done..hopefully, properly, when they are ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by landscaper43 View Post
    im 32 years old i live in somerville nj im training to fight in golden gloves tournment in nj in 2009 im not able to get a trainer or join a gym because of financial reasons and there are no gyms in my county even if i could afford a trainer i have an old beat up pickup truck that wont make it to far but im very dedicated i run everynight i just got a heavy bag that i workout on everynight im very fast and have good cordination and i no i can do well im looking for some opinions or options i might be able to take to help my situation if anyone has any please dont leave any negetive i appretiate it thanks
    I am 33 and my last Golden Gloves was in 2006. I won three Iowa State Golden Gloves titles and one of them I won after a 6 year layoff. I trained at home and had no sparring. I would make sure that you run 2 to 4 miles a couple times a week and then a couple of times a week do sprints to get ready for the burst of energy you will dispense in the ring. You never want condition to be a negative factor in the ring. That is the last place you want to tire out. You'll become a punching bag if your opponent is in great shape. As a beginner do not allow yourself to become undiscipline and engage into a sloppy street fight. Maintain your composure no matter what happens in the ring and always maintain complete focus on your opponent. Work on keeping your hands up as you hit the bag and shadow boxing is a must as it will simulate a person moving around in front of you. Without sparring I found that my timing was off but everything else was there. You still have a couple of years to fight with the senior amateur group so don't give up or rush yourself. Your last year you can enter a lot of tournaments. And to be actual, you can box amateur after 35 but it will be in tournaments that have older age group like Ringside Tournament. I'd like to hear how you do I am interested in boxing in all facets. I coach now and love training and training people. Let me know how you fair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A good trainer is a luxury for some.

Have you got any contacts of more expierienced guys you can train alongside?

You need sparring, technical assistance and sometimes just a bit of criticism?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by blegit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by landscaper43 View Post
    I am 33 and my last Golden Gloves was in 2006. I won three Iowa State Golden Gloves titles and one of them I won after a 6 year layoff. I trained at home and had no sparring. I would make sure that you run 2 to 4 miles a couple times a week and then a couple of times a week do sprints to get ready for the burst of energy you will dispense in the ring. You never want condition to be a negative factor in the ring. That is the last place you want to tire out. You'll become a punching bag if your opponent is in great shape. As a beginner do not allow yourself to become undiscipline and engage into a sloppy street fight. Maintain your composure no matter what happens in the ring and always maintain complete focus on your opponent. Work on keeping your hands up as you hit the bag and shadow boxing is a must as it will simulate a person moving around in front of you. Without sparring I found that my timing was off but everything else was there. You still have a couple of years to fight with the senior amateur group so don't give up or rush yourself. Your last year you can enter a lot of tournaments. And to be actual, you can box amateur after 35 but it will be in tournaments that have older age group like Ringside Tournament. I'd like to hear how you do I am interested in boxing in all facets. I coach now and love training and training people. Let me know how you fair.
    i really appreciate your comments and opinions i will definetly let you know how i do thanks for your support and advice.Are u in the NJ area or anywhere near Somerville NJ ? i could really use someone with experiance to help me. Also do u have any idea where the golden gloves will be held this year or how i sign up after i get my pass book to box? if not i do appreciate your opinions and suggestions. thanks

Thread Information