Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default did america really value Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank

Apart from the odd journey stateside from nigel and a trip or 2 into europe from eubank they exclusively only ever fought in the UK and thus lost out on a huge following stateside.

But growing up i was exclusively brought up around these 2 fighters (along with bruno) believing they were the best of the best as its all we really ever had in britain up until the introduction of cable TV

Did america ever really give the due dillegence to these 2 guys and what they acheived inside the ring
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: did america really value Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    Apart from the odd journey stateside from nigel and a trip or 2 into europe from eubank they exclusively only ever fought in the UK and thus lost out on a huge following stateside.

But growing up i was exclusively brought up around these 2 fighters (along with bruno) believing they were the best of the best as its all we really ever had in britain up until the introduction of cable TV

Did america ever really give the due dillegence to these 2 guys and what they acheived inside the ring

IMO most American fans did not rate Benn or Ebank coz they think a fighter has to fight on US soil to prove there worth.
    Balls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a guy like Eubank would have received a lot more attention in North America if he had fought just about anywhere else than the WBO Super-Middleweight Division. Sure fighting stateside might have helped his profile in the US, but having high profile Americans to fight is the real issue, not where they fight. Example: Alan Minter had a fairly high profile in North America

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Americans are so stupid.

Benn did fight here, five or six times, the Barkley one obviously. I think most boxing fans, Americans or not, see Benn for what he was, a good very exciting fighter, that had some limitations but its not like he's "not rated", obviously everyone that was a serious boxing fan saw the Barkley fight, the Eubank fights, the McClellan fight.

Eubank the same, rated, probably higher in some ways than Benn but maybe didn't have the wars that Benn did, outside of the Eubank-Benn fights obviously. As far as "did we really value" them, I'm not even sure what that means but there both thought of as good fighters.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

IMO most American fans did not rate Benn or Ebank coz they think a fighter has to fight on US soil to prove there worth.
    But Nigel Benn did prove his worth on USA soil, beating dangerous guys like Iran Barkey, Doug DeWitt, he also beat the top American fighter Gerald McClellan.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If this forum existed back then it would be crazy with Benn, Eubank, Toney and Jones

Personally i always thought Toney and Roy would beat both.. but that's partly through having an "America is best" mindset. Being young it's far easier to fall for the HYPE. And America is the undisputed DADDY of hype.

When Benn beat McClellan (i thought there was more chance of an alien invasion than Benn winning) i started to cotton on
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    If this forum existed back then it would be crazy with Benn, Eubank, Toney and Jones

Personally i always thought Toney and Roy would beat both.. but that's partly through having an "America is best" mindset. Being young it's far easier to fall for the HYPE. And America is the undisputed DADDY of hype.

When Benn beat McClellan (i thought there was more chance of an alien invasion than Benn winning) i started to cotton on
    I was only young but i remember the hype surronding that fight, about Nigel Benn leaving the ring in a body bag. And Nigel Benn being hypnotized ETC, i never watched the fight but the hype was crazy as i remember it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

I was only young but i remember the hype surronding that fight, about Nigel Benn leaving the ring in a body bag. And Nigel Benn being hypnotized ETC, i never watched the fight but the hype was crazy as i remember it.
    Anyone that knew boxing knew Benn had NO chance. Only MUGS thought Benn could win.

I lost about a weeks wages.

And even though i was cheering for Benn after the first, everyone i know absolutely SLAUGHTERED me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    Americans are so stupid.

Benn did fight here, five or six times, the Barkley one obviously. I think most boxing fans, Americans or not, see Benn for what he was, a good very exciting fighter, that had some limitations but its not like he's "not rated", obviously everyone that was a serious boxing fan saw the Barkley fight, the Eubank fights, the McClellan fight.

Eubank the same, rated, probably higher in some ways than Benn but maybe didn't have the wars that Benn did, outside of the Eubank-Benn fights obviously. As far as "did we really value" them, I'm not even sure what that means but there both thought of as good fighters.
    Americans are stupid?

So stupid we kicked your asses in the Revolutionary war and protected your sorry asses in WW2 from being ass fucked by the Germans
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Americans are so stupid.

Americans are stupid?

So stupid we kicked your asses in the Revolutionary war and protected your sorry asses in WW2 from being ass fucked by the Germans
    Revolutionary War was actually more/less a draw so i heard, and you guys only entered WW2 because you got bombed, not because you was saving are asses. And no one country saved anyone's asses, pretty silly logic there Daxx. Im being sarcastic by the way and isn't Oumafan American anyway ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Americans are so stupid.

Americans are stupid?

What part of the UK is OumaFan from?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

haha, I'm American.

I don't know why, I just didn't assume anyone would take that seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Americans are so stupid.

Americans are stupid?

Revolutionary War was actually more/less a draw so i heard, and you guys only entered WW2 because you got bombed, not because you was saving are asses. And no one country saved anyone's asses, pretty silly logic there Daxx. Im being sarcastic by the way and isn't Oumafan American anyway ?

I am not in anyway serious with what I said just stirring the pot mate...(why I say that word is beyone me I am from NY but from posting here it has become a habit)....Don't know where Ouma is from TBH....Don't care.........

BTW Cotton Hill would argue all of your points when it came to war....Actually he is the one I got the comments from..
    Last edited by DaxxKahn; 01-14-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Two fighters who rarely got seen on live free TV, in an unpopular at the time division, who had the majority of their career happen before you could just stream fights.
    You cant underappreciate what you cannot see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With all the Americans are stupid sillyness aside....I don't think it was so much on they were not appreciated it has to do with marketing and promoters...lack of cable TV etc....If there was PPV or HBO/Showtime in every home back then like today American audiences would have seen more of them to actually appreciate...

Also back in the day when Chris was in hisn prime we had our own stars on the rise and the HW scene had Tyson, Holyfield etc.....

Today they woukd be both huge stars

Thread Information