Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Paul Truscott v John Simpson RBR - Commonwealth Featherweight Title

Welcome to 2009's first installment of the British and European RBR, delivered by myself Superheavyrhun at Saddoboxing.com.

As a British member of the forum, I'm confident this year will have the best line-up for quite some time in terms of fights beamed straight into British living rooms, and straight onto the web via the RBR.

And whatever Cutmemick says, here comes the first installment, with an up-and-comer against a former champion, with all the makings of a real battle.

First up we have champion Paul Truscott, a 12-0 (1KO) prospect going into the toughest fight of his career. The 22-year-old from Middlesbrough will have the backing of a home town crowd, going into by far the biggest test he will have faced so far, as Scotsman Simpson comes to try and maintain his British-level reputation. Truscott's activity slowed in 2008, as he fought only three times, the second of which was to claim the Commonwealth title in a good points win over Osumanu Akaba, boxing fairly well and showing enough to claim the win over the inconsistent Ghanaian.

Challenger John Simpson (18-6, 6KOs) is the more experienced fighter of this pair, and has been in competitive matchups since his first challenge against Dazzo Williams for a British title in 2004. The boy has plenty of heart, and has more poke than his record suggests. Stoppage wins over Ryan Barrett and in a rematch over Andy Morris in '07 showed him at the peak of his powers, and this experience should stand him in good stead against the hotshot Truscott. The Scot has been down before, but will no doubt go in confident against the hometown youngster.

The undercard is still sketchy from boxrec, just 24-hours beforehand, but as usual, the best will be delivered via the rbr.

Peace folks, and best wishes for a good 2009.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Truscott v John Simpson RBR - Commonwealth Featherweight Title

I think Simpson's finest fight was probably his robbery loss to derry mathews..

and hey.. 19-5 as a record certainly seems alot better then 18-6.. especially when you put in the work but didnt get rewarded
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tito BHB View Post
    I think Simpson's finest fight was probably his robbery loss to derry mathews..

and hey.. 19-5 as a record certainly seems alot better then 18-6.. especially when you put in the work but didnt get rewarded
    As I recall I did that one also as an RBR, and I agree that Simpson got it right in the bumhole in terms of the scoring. Matthews was deducted two points and was also knocked down, however one judge had him at 118 and another had him at 117 on the cards. Quite frankly it was a farce, and I must admit there was a part of me that thought justice was served when Tsevenpureev did what he did later on.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good to see you back Rhun...

Top stuff.

Upperhand to Simpson here I think he's fought the better opposition of the 2 and I think it will show in the fight.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nice to see the return of the rd by rds

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just as an addendum to my original post, the action gets underway 10pm UK time, so in around four hours from now. European time means it will be starting around 11pm, and for the US, here's a little something Killersheep taught me:

5pm EST
    4pm CST
    3pm MST
    2pm PST
    1pm AKST
    12pm HST

Thanks Greg....

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rhun your thoughts on the fight?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    I must admit, I really like John Simpson, he's got loads of heart and he'll keep going until he's got nothing left in the tank, but I think his lack of power might be the factor here tonight. Truscott's a good boxer, and will try and stay behind the jab, which was decent for him against Akaba and try and avoid getting into the kind of battles that Simpson's well known for. Truscott on points is how I've called it, but he'll be in with his toughest opponent so far, and now doubt it'll be the first time he'll have fought a come-forward fighter of Simpson's caliber.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    I must admit, I really like John Simpson, he's got loads of heart and he'll keep going until he's got nothing left in the tank, but I think his lack of power might be the factor here tonight. Truscott's a good boxer, and will try and stay behind the jab, which was decent for him against Akaba and try and avoid getting into the kind of battles that Simpson's well known for. Truscott on points is how I've called it, but he'll be in with his toughest opponent so far, and now doubt it'll be the first time he'll have fought a come-forward fighter of Simpson's caliber.
    Cheers Rhun...

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okay folks....the beer is filled, the glasses are on and the first Friday Fight Night of the new year is about to start on Sky Sports 1. The action I'm sure has already been well under way in Middlesbrough, and the action will be under way shortly.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here................we.....................go
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Simpson is the first to walk out into the arena as the challenger, and is roundly booed, interspersed with a few cheers. His cornerman has a horrendous sparkly lining to his shirt though, the most noticable.

Truscott gets a great reception, those at ringside on their feet clapping him in. He's looking focussed. Truscott has the slight height and reach advantage, but Simpson with twice as many fights has the experience.

Next up, it's fight time.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okay, LEEEEEEEEEEEEEETS GET REEEAAAAAAAADY TO RUUUUUUUUMBLE!!!! Sorry, my enthusiasm forthe new year got the best of me. Anyhow, let's go!

Round 1:

Truscott has a punch at the corner pad before he alks out to his first defence. Simpson has the centre, with Truscott circling and landing two jabs. Body shot from Simpson. Truscott's jab again, but gets clipped with a right hook. Simpson with another right to the body. They swap jabs. A couple more body shots, but Truscott fires back and misses with a left hook. Simpson to the body once mroe. Truscott jabbing well and getting through, then a straight right. Good flurry again, and he moves out of disctance, and bobs away from three more simpson shots. Jabs and straights from Truscott, and Simpson having to duck low to get in and hit the body. Good left hook from Truscott again, and a right to the body. They swap right hooks. Good lively opening.

Truscott takes it, but both have a positive opening.
    10-9

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 2:

They swap jabs again, then a left hook from Truscott goes over simpson's head. Couple of hard body hooks from Simpson. Jab and right from Simpson, but Truscott lands a left to the body. Simpson with a jab catching Truscott on the way in. Two rights to the body from Truscott, but Simpson comes back with a left hook of his own. Overhand right from Simpson grazes Truscott who skates off to his right away from that. Couple of jabs from Truscott. Jab and overhand right from Truscott. Jab and right from Truscott, who gets out of range well. Right hook from Truscott. Couple of hard shots from Simpson to the body.

Tight round again. Simpson perhaps edging it, but fast competitive stuff here.
    19-19

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 3:

Both fall short with jabs early doors, till Truscott lands a good jab. Straight down the middle flurry from Truscott, piercing the guard with three nice shots. Two body shots from Truscott the best from a flurry in the corner. Simpson with some body shots, but gets caught with a straight right on the way in. Jab from Truscott, and a straight right down the middle. Great right again from Truscott, but two body shots from Simpson rattles Truscott. Left hook to the top of the head by Simpson. Truscott fighting more at range this round. Jab from truscott, but takes a body shot in return. Jab and straight right from Truscott. Right hook on the bell, and Truscott is down, but he was already slipping.

Truscott's round in my eyes, landing more, if not the power shots.
    29-28

Thread Information