Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: * "Rocky" Martinez vs. Nicky Cook * Thoughts on the fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default * "Rocky" Martinez vs. Nicky Cook * Thoughts on the fight?

I haven't seen a thread for this fight yet, if so let me know and I'll merge the threads together...

Anyway, been thinking about this matchup and I think it was TitoFan or one of my panas from PR who I told that Rocky would win a title in '08.

Well it's '09 but I think the time has come for PR to crown yet another champ.

I think Rockys got the tools to beat Cook. I would like to see him more controlled in the ring and taking his time. I think sometimes he gets too anxious and rushes a bit.
    Would like to see him control the fight and box more. I think if he catches "Cookie" it's lights out for Cook.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: * "Rocky" Martinez vs. Nicky Cook * Thoughts on the fight?

Cook would need to fight another outstanding fight like the one he had vs. Arthur where his jab was the key to the victory. He's also going to need lots of activity as I think Rockys a better boxer and is very active.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think if he gets carried away it may actually benefit him against Cook. Cook was unable to handle Luevano's minimal approach to boxing and got absolutely schooled. Under the pressure Martinez will bring Cook is gonna get sparked mid-rounds. Especially if Cook is still telegraphing his punches as much as he usually does.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    I haven't seen a thread for this fight yet, if so let me know and I'll merge the threads together...

Anyway, been thinking about this matchup and I think it was TitoFan or one of my panas from PR who I told that Rocky would win a title in '08.

I think Rockys got the tools to beat Cook. I would like to see him more controlled in the ring and taking his time. I think sometimes he gets too anxious and rushes a bit.
    Would like to see him control the fight and box more. I think if he catches "Cookie" it's lights out for Cook.
    I haven't seen much of Roman Martinez if im honest only a few of his last fights, but i do know quite a bit about Nicky Cook with him being a fellow Londoner like me. And i honestly don't think he's world class.

No offense to the guy he fought a very good fight against Alex Arthur, but Alex Arthur isn't world class either. And there seemed to be something missing from Alex Arthur in there fight aswell.

Nicky Cook does have the skills but i'd honestly say, he isn't much better than Michael Jennings. I'd say there pretty much at the same level, and if the Roman Martinez is as good as you say he is, because my knowledge on him isn't very good.

He should beat Nicky Cook who was lucky to get a world title, but i'll be rooting for him all the way and this is a good first title defense for Nicky Cook so props to him. I just looked up and it seemed Roman Martinez had alot of bother with Daniel Jimenez ?

I haven't seen the fight like i said i've only seen a few of Roman Martinez's last few fights, but for anyone who watched the fight did Roman Martinez struggle in that fight like the scorecards suggest he did ?
    Last edited by ICB; 01-17-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey ol' buddy. It wasn't me who predicted a championship for Rocky in '08, but I probably would've. I love watching Rocky fight, and hope he gets that championship this year. I admit I'm not familiar with Cook, but I've been to a couple of Rocky fights live. He's damn exciting to watch. He loves to go toe-to-toe, and getting hit only gets his adrenaline up higher. Obviously, with a fighter like that, you've got to watch your defense. But I'm hoping Rocky's up to the challenge. And of course, the idea of one more P.R. world champ is also great to me.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Hey ol' buddy. It wasn't me who predicted a championship for Rocky in '08, but I probably would've. I love watching Rocky fight, and hope he gets that championship this year. I admit I'm not familiar with Cook, but I've been to a couple of Rocky fights live. He's damn exciting to watch. He loves to go toe-to-toe, and getting hit only gets his adrenaline up higher. Obviously, with a fighter like that, you've got to watch your defense. But I'm hoping Rocky's up to the challenge. And of course, the idea of one more P.R. world champ is also great to me.

I predicted a title win for Rocky in '08...
    I thought it was you who I was talking to about that.
    Must have been either Puya or MachoMan...

Anyway...
    I think his time has come and if he comes in 100% prepared and ready for this he'll walk out with a title around his waist.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

I haven't seen much of Roman Martinez if im honest only a few of his last fights, but i do know quite a bit about Nicky Cook with him being a fellow Londoner like me. And i honestly don't think he's world class.

No offense to the guy he fought a very good fight against Alex Arthur, but Alex Arthur isn't world class either. And there seemed to be something missing from Alex Arthur in there fight aswell.

Nicky Cook does have the skills but i'd honestly say, he isn't much better than Michael Jennings. I'd say there pretty much at the same level, and if the Roman Martinez is as good as you say he is, because my knowledge on him isn't very good.

He should beat Nicky Cook who was lucky to get a world title, but i'll be rooting for him all the way and this is a good first title defense for Nicky Cook so props to him. I just looked up and it seemed Roman Martinez had alot of bother with Daniel Jimenez ?

I haven't seen the fight like i said i've only seen a few of Roman Martinez's last few fights, but for anyone who watched the fight did Roman Martinez struggle in that fight like the scorecards suggest he did ?
    I think Cook is likely to lose this. I was at the Arthur fight and I thought Cook would take him, coz I really don't think much of Arthur. Cook isn't world class, but he's definately European level. I don't see him having the power at this weightclass though, and I think Martinez will beat him.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he was a bit too relaxed...

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

........... AND NEW!!!!!!!!

Way to go, Rocky!!

I knew my boy would put on a good show. He is relentless. Having watched him before, I wasn't overly worried when he got off to a slow start against Cook. He normally takes a few rounds to warm up. He's no Miguel Cotto, as the announcer was saying, but nevertheless he's Puerto Rico's latest world champion. I know he'll get a champion's welcome when he gets back home.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ahora a ver que gane Puerto Rico contra los Estados Unidos en el World Baseball Classic

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    ........... AND NEW!!!!!!!!

Way to go, Rocky!!

I knew my boy would put on a good show. He is relentless. Having watched him before, I wasn't overly worried when he got off to a slow start against Cook. He normally takes a few rounds to warm up. He's no Miguel Cotto, as the announcer was saying, but nevertheless he's Puerto Rico's latest world champion. I know he'll get a champion's welcome when he gets back home.
    This thread went up at the begining of the year...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never gave Cook a chance going in. If Martinez doesn't freeze in the big moment I felt he would get Cook out of there. And he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez did exactly what Mick said he should do in this fight. Martinez reminds me of Tito a bit: great left hook/uppercut, looks skinny but has power, starts slowly, when he gets hit, he wakes up. I liked that Martinez boxed first and took his time and put together his best performance as a pro. Whatever he does in his career, at least he will be in exciting fights, based on his style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cookie just got outclassed and outgunned by a far superior fighter.

Martinez has all the tools to challenge the big boys at 130 and eventually move on to the premier light division 135.

Nickys always been very limited with his talents but does have a decent chin so it was rather dissapointing to see him get ko`d inside 4.

Still think it was a bad stoppage though and he should of been allowed to get the round out and get back to his corner!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perfect left uppercut (JMM style) and finishing left hook by Martinez. He's pretty tall for that division. And I see him defending that title many times.

I would like to see him fight Luevano again. Or his own countryman Santiago.

Thread Information