Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Throwing the Overhand Right? Where to move?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Throwing the Overhand Right? Where to move?

The Overhand Right is one of the most awkward punches to me because it combines the motion of a hook and a cross as one. I know how to throw it, but for practice in shadowboxing/hitting the heavy bag, I need to know where to move to land it well.

Thinking about it, the only way I can see landing it well is by moving to the left. This is based on the shifting of weight and secondly, because of watching Rahman vs. Lewis II. What are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Throwing the Overhand Right? Where to move?

Watch the master of it; Kostya.

He measured with his left out like an ariel would wait for a shot to come and then his right would follow it back home as he moved in on them.

i thik thats best,following their own left jab back home so that the shot is hidden from their own view and it raises up over their shoulder like a meteor comming over the horizon.
    Stepping left wont help in that circumstance though.

theres other ways by opening up your stance going square as you move and then correcting your left leg and landing it.

Best to visualize different senarios and imagine where they are moving to and when you can launch one unseen over their arm,works well timing someone whos in the opposite stance to you.

If they are moving to their right you could step out left and follow them but like you say it turns into a sort of overhand cross,still worksthe same but theres never just only one time for one thing to work.

Wont work all the time but if he overcommitts or over extends in reaction to one of your moves: Imagine switching your feet by taking your left foot around the back of your right foot to avoid his reaching left striaght shot,let it go over your left shoulder and stepping out with your right foot as his left arm returns so you have switched stance around his left arm, now you got momentum behind your end positioning and its unseen comming over the outside of his shoulder and you have moved to the outside of his outer arm,youre safe there ,he isnt.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I use it essentially in two ways.

I throw it when a person is leading and coming forward with a left jab...and I just force it over the left to make contact faster then their left can hit...and follow it with a left hook. I use this alot and it has been effective.

Also use it when I am applying pressure and cutting off the ring and have my opponent backed into a corner. In this case it is either an overhand right, or straight right...but I watch their feet and wait for them to transfer weight forward which tells me they are about to throw, and I let it go. Often they are throwing a right here. Again effective, and again followed with left hook and whatever else I got working for a combination.

So usually, moving both forward and to the left when throwing.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 01-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feint with the right, then when they lean to their left to avoid the right, I come over the top and get them on the way up. It combines your power and their momentum.

It is hard to practice on a traditional bag. But it is one I love to work on my Power Puncher 2000.I put the connection point up high and move the vertical pulley out to take up the slack. It's a thing of beauty.

It is easiest to practice this punch on an uppercut bag---one that hangs horizontally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Watch the master of it; Kostya.

He measured with his left out like an ariel would wait for a shot to come and then his right would follow it back home as he moved in on them.

i thik thats best,following their own left jab back home so that the shot is hidden from their own view and it raises up over their shoulder like a meteor comming over the horizon.
    Stepping left wont help in that circumstance though.

theres other ways by opening up your stance going square as you move and then correcting your left leg and landing it.

Best to visualize different senarios and imagine where they are moving to and when you can launch one unseen over their arm,works well timing someone whos in the opposite stance to you.

If they are moving to their right you could step out left and follow them but like you say it turns into a sort of overhand cross,still worksthe same but theres never just only one time for one thing to work.

Wont work all the time but if he overcommitts or over extends in reaction to one of your moves: Imagine switching your feet by taking your left foot around the back of your right foot to avoid his reaching left striaght shot,let it go over your left shoulder and stepping out with your right foot as his left arm returns so you have switched stance around his left arm, now you got momentum behind your end positioning and its unseen comming over the outside of his shoulder and you have moved to the outside of his outer arm,youre safe there ,he isnt.
    Thanks man, I understand. It would actually be pretty clever to mix in Overhand Rights and Crosses together to confuse your opponent. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try to move your head in the same time and the same way as your right hand. Not nesessery to step left diagonaly

Thread Information