You are right Sharla, in that boxing is not a good analogy. I was trying to use it from a personal perspective to explore your original thoughts on not going easy and looking for a reason to understand why.

Where I have to disagree with you, is on the total separation of physical harm, to say, emotional. I think that is making an assumption here that the girls were all okey dokie with the loss until the media got involved. That they were learning a life lesson about losing and so on...that 'there is more then just winning' etc. I mean, the team hasn't won in 4 years, surely they have gotten that lesson already. This seemed almost cruel.

I agree that it certainly/likely made matters worse and is surely more embarrassing knowing that now the entire planet is tuned in. That dyslexia is being misinterpreted/misunderstood in it also.

The more I have read about this, the more I feel it was an extreme case of poor sportsmanship. From what I have read...the coach ran the score up to 100, and then they went into a full guard for the last 4 minutes of the game, no longer scoring, just to keep the score at 100 - 0. Why would they do that? To show it off, my only guess. Kinda rubbing it in their faces? How did it feel to have that happen. We don't know, we weren't there. I can't imagine it didn't feel too good.

But yes it must be a lot worse that we are discussing it here, that many others elsewhere likely are also if in fact some people are paying for it in humiliation.

This I found a good summation for the story.

Editorial: Final lesson from 100-0 game | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Opinion: Editorials