Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: " Still the Polemics with Margaros Hands-Wraps"

Margarito is goin to explain his side AT 6 am Central time, ESPN. Double check the time tho'. Just saw it in a flash, in an ESPN recap on headlines! Lucy, Some splainin' to do!

I pray that he gets out of this jam unscathe, hard to imagine what it will be like to fix this mess, on the contrary!

I hate the personal injury angle that this will surely warrant, if Margarito does not come out squeaky clean on this. And surely, with charges like this if not reversed, spells doom.

El Kabong Guest

If it was true that he was planning to use plaster wraps I think his career should be over.....sorry there are some lines you just don't cross and there should be no 3 strike rule either. Loading gloves should warrant a lifetime ban no matter who does it, just because boxing is dangerous enough when it's done right with all the percautions and everything that cheating to inflict more pain should be taken VERY seriously.

If they prove he was using plaster wraps once then it's serious enough to ban him forever and take a ton of cash from him too.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 01-28-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post
    regardless...it didn't help him did it

I believe he would have been within his rights to ask them to re-wrap his hand while he was there - (I could be wrong maybe someone who has a copy of the regs close by could check)

Also surely you would notice that your hand / glove felt different if this was an occasional offence? Otherwise it means they've all been cheating and complicit throughout his career - and I don't accept that.

Time for someone to put up or shut up.
    Statutes and Regulations - California State Athletic Commission

It's all legal s**t and can be difficult for the average Joe to find.

§ 323. Bandages.

Bandages shall not exceed the following restrictions:
    One winding of surgeon's adhesive tape, not over one and one-half inches wide, placed directly on the hand to protect that part of the hand near the wrist. Said tape may cross the back of the hand twice but shall not extend within one inch of the knuckles when hand is clenched to make a fist. Contestants shall use soft surgical bandage not over two inches wide, held in place by not more than two yards of surgeon's adhesive tape for each hand. One 10-yard roll of bandage shall complete the wrappings for each hand.

Bandages shall be adjusted in the dressing room in the presence of a commission representative and both contestants. Either contestant may waive his privilege of witnessing the bandaging of his opponent's hands.

NOTE: Authority cited: Section 18611, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 18640 and 18714, Business and Professions Code.
    HISTORY:

1. Change without regulatory effect of NOTE (Register 87, No. 5)

Technically is says "in the presence of both contestants" but a revision may also be there to say a contestant may be represented. You got to read through the whole thing to find the applicable sections to requesting a rewrap. Gloves start at § 318.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I think we should all just wait till they announce the results of the tests. I'll have plenty to say about it and the fight in general then. I don't want to go upsetting people when we don't know the truth.
    GIVE SANCTIONS MORE TIME!!!

Hey Kirkland, I for one don't want our warning sign to be a dead/seriously injured fighter.
    What are you talking about?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it was true that he was planning to use plaster wraps I think his career should be over.....sorry there are some lines you just don't cross and there should be no 3 strike rule either. Loading gloves should warrant a lifetime ban no matter who does it, just because boxing is dangerous enough when it's done right with all the percautions and everything that cheating to inflict more pain should be taken VERY seriously.

If they prove he was using plaster wraps once then it's serious enough to ban him forever and take a ton of cash from him too.
    I totally agree Lyle, not only because of what you mention but to act as a deterrent for every other fighter out there.

If found guilty he should never box again, but we know that won't happen if he can still make money. Tyson proved that.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    What are you talking about?
    I'm poking fun of you by referencing your political views and beliefs and applying them to this situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blegit View Post
    Where are people getting confused here? It has already been said by 3 people who were there of what was in his wraps, Nazim Richardson, a doctor, and a representative of the commission. They all called it some kind of plaster. Margarito's trainers, in attempts to cover up, are the only ones who said it was only extra gauze. Before the fight even started Jim Lampley stated what was found and taken to be given a formal investigation. And for the record, Margarito not knowing what is in his wraps doesn't hold water. This sounds like the famous overused "I never knowingly took steroids" speech. Anyone who has ever boxed for even a short period of time knows that you can tell even the slightest change in the wrapping of your hands. I can easily tell when I have just a bit more gauze around my knuckles and if the gauze is slightly firmer. Missing a foreign object put in your wraps...impossible. Remember, Nazim Richardson noticed it just by looking at it then was sure something wasn't right just by touching it. Its amazing how Margarito is getting so much leniency for such an awful crime. This is not a case of someone saying this or that. Three very credible people witnessed it and described it as plaster pieces, he was caught, and the objects were confiscated until a formal investigation is performed. Stop being dishonest just because you're a fan of Margarito and use your common sense. They don't confiscate extra gauze! And you don't get investigated for wrapping too much gauze!
    yea cause i'm just positive that they're always walkin around with their handy investigating kit to do tests on the sample right then and there, i'm not saying that it's not true, but i'm not saying it's true either, i for one think he's innocent, but hell give the man a chance for a fair investigation
    Gauze and plaster are quite different. Nice try. And people do not have to hold back their judgement. This is not court. Evidently the commission aren't holding back much. They described the incident and Margarito has been suspended before the investigation is finalized. Can you take a hint where this thing is leading? Maybe you refuse to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post

I totally agree Lyle, not only because of what you mention but to act as a deterrent for every other fighter out there.

If found guilty he should never box again, but we know that won't happen if he can still make money. Tyson proved that.
    Helluva post!!! I completely agree. There are enough tragedies in boxing, adding loaded handwraps is despicable. There must be a big enough punishment to deter any kind of cheating like this. Banishment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Tony knew or instructed his trainers to use illegal wraps, especially if they made for a much heavier punch, and if even more so if they somehow discover that he'd done it in the past; then he should definitely be made an example of with the severest possible punishment. However if the evidence clearly shows that he was not complicit in the use of illegal techniques, and was trusting his handlers to do their job, and ignorant of any wrongdoing; then the responsible handlers should bear the brunt of the punishment.

Thread Information