Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pansification?

OK, so hockey commentators on Hockey Night in Canada, Mike Milbury and Don Cherry to be specific, have objected to a growing movement to ban fighting in hockey. They have suggested that this will lead to the "pansification" of Hockey.

As a result, homosexual advocacy groups are up in arms, suggesting that the use of the word pansification, a derivative of the word pansy, is offensive and derogatory to homosexuals. wtf

It seems kind of ridiculous to me. Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but it seems to me that by taking such a position, these advocacy groups are doing more to perpetuate a negative stereotype of gays than Milbury and Cherry are doing.

Your thoughts?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pansification?

If they remove fighting from hockey, it'll be gay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What the hell is wrong with everyone??

If you don't like fighting, don't watch fucking hockey.

If you don't like smoky bars, don't go to a fucking bar.

People want to change everyone around them into a bland disney show. Bullshit!

Pansification is a great word! So is the phrase "seal beater." but they don't use that on tv anymore....
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a huge hockey fan. Now, I don't think they should completely erase fighting from hockey, but this modern enforcer vs. enforcer bullshit is beyond stupid. Two palooka's, who play 5 minutes a night (at best), go out and fight each other for absolutely no reason other than it is their job to do so. They're not mad at eachother, they're not doing it because the other guy threw a dirty hit etc., they're doing it because that is what they do. That is stupid, and some day soon someone is going to die in the NHL. I don't mind fights that arise out of passion and hard play (IE Jerome Iginla's fights), but the enforcers are fucking ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind seeing stiffer penalties given for fighting, and guys with visors should be suspended for fighting IMO. And the helmet's should stay on, a kid already died earlier this month after hitting his head on the ice during a fight.

As for the pansification comment, people just love to bitch about things to draw attention to their particular cause/organization.

Don Cherry, though I love him, is a crazy, xenophobic, sexist nut job though.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=dujtJfhclUs

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Don Cherry, though I love him, is a crazy, xenophobic, sexist nut job though.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=dujtJfhclUs
    lol Don Cherry. He is like our dirty little secret. Except he ain't no secret.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cherry's a moron. You know, at one time he was actually voted as one of the top ten Canadians of all time?

CBC.ca - The Greatest Canadian - Top Ten Greatest Canadians

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Cherry's a moron. You know, at one time he was actually voted as one of the top ten Canadians of all time?

I know. Tough call eh, Tommy Douglas or Don Cherry...

A senile entertainer or arguably the greatest politician this country has even had. A real toss up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A senile entertainer or arguably the greatest politician this country has even had. A real toss up.
    Hockey is a good game, but I never bought into that Hockey is the true meaning of being Canadian crap. It's kind of embarrasing really. One of our teams loses an international tournament, and the sports pages proclaim a national tragedy, then the team apologizes to Canada for letting the country down. Gimme a fucking break.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't really get off on watching hockey fights. I enjoy a lot more the skill and speed of the game, and downright natural ability of certain players. I've never really been a 'team guy'. But there are fans, who tune in every game and wait and hope for those scraps and rivalries....so I guess it has a role for them, and the game.

What I would fear if they removed fighting, is that it is a slippery slope that would have the do gooder crowd looking where to cross the next line with it. And that it would eventually take away a big part of the game, which is the physical aspect as soon we'd be focusing more on hits etc etc.

The pansification thingy is ridiculous.

Don Cherry is like some sort of funny clown train accident. I get embarrassed as a Canadian watching him with some of the things he will say..while at the same time laughing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK, so hockey commentators on Hockey Night in Canada, Mike Milbury and Don Cherry to be specific, have objected to a growing movement to ban fighting in hockey. They have suggested that this will lead to the "pansification" of Hockey.

As a result, homosexual advocacy groups are up in arms, suggesting that the use of the word pansification, a derivative of the word pansy, is offensive and derogatory to homosexuals. wtf

It seems kind of ridiculous to me. Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but it seems to me that by taking such a position, these advocacy groups are doing more to perpetuate a negative stereotype of gays than Milbury and Cherry are doing.

Your thoughts?
    I agree. That's the same if they had used the word 'lazy' or better yet 'niggardly' and some black group objected (oh wait a minute- that last one did happen). 'Pansy' in and of itself has nothing to do with gay people. We are rapidly turning towards turning language into some watered-down thing ala 1984.
    Oops

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hockey is a good game, but I never bought into that Hockey is the true meaning of being Canadian crap. It's kind of embarrasing really. One of our teams loses an international tournament, and the sports pages proclaim a national tragedy, then the team apologizes to Canada for letting the country down. Gimme a fucking break.

What the hell is the true meaning of being Canadian then? I mean if you had to list five things surely hockey would on there....
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love Don. Coach's Corner is the best 6minutes and 50 seconds on television. And Millbury was stellar pick up for CBC. Perhaps the best addition to HNIC since Don was added in 1980.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing wrong with Milbury. He's good, he has passion for the game. Beats the hell out of Kelly Hrudey IMO, who is boring at the best of times. And Cherry does know the game of Hockey, I'll give him that much.

Thread Information