Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fights that could help the heavyweight division.

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Fights that could help the heavyweight division.

Right now I think everyone will agree that the Heavyweight division has a lot of holes in it and by that I mean that we have title holders but lack one singular Champion and we have challengers but they usually are mandatories or too green to fight for a title, we also have lots of older fighters and journeymen who can still fight at a decent level which add to the confusion and lack of consistency in the division.

These matches that I propose will create true contenders who will draw more excitement when they get their shots, create less "title holders" and a Champion or two who can legitimately be viewed as THE GUY(s) to beat.

Vitali Klitschko-Nicolay Valuev: TITLE UNIFICATION...Vitali wins and we have The Klitschko Brothers as duel Champions, Valuev wins (haha) and it sets up a total unification bout with Wladimir.

Alexander Povetkin - David Haye: Both fighters are not proven at the top of the division. Povetkin seems to box well but not punch too hard, Haye seems to punch hard but not box all that well. The winner would be in line for a title shot and the loser would have to have a couple more fights before they got a shot.

Cris Arreola - Alexander Dimitrenko: Undefeated fighters, decent power, and good showings vs almost top level fighters....a KO winner in this fight would seemingly be invincible and get a shot at either Wlad or Vitali.

Wladimir Klitschko - Ruslan Chagaev: These guys are a seemingly good matchup. Wlad holds 3 titles (2 worth a damn) and Chagaev has only been fighting in the WBA section of the division. It's about time we see what Chagaev really has to offer the division besides being able to beat Nicolay Valuev and John Ruiz.

Sam Peter - John Ruiz: Ruiz has had his chances at the titles but IMO never truly earned them. Sam Peter has been lackluster for a couple fights and I think if these guys fight whoever loses will be tossed into journeyman status. And everyone will love to see John Ruiz get KO'd if Sam is able to do it. A winner in this fight would be put in line for a title shot after a bout vs another top contender.

Cedric Boswell - Sergei Lyakhovich: Sergei has really pissed off a lot of fans with his showings of late and Cedric Boswell's biggest shot came when he ALMOST fought Vitali Klitschko only to be cast aside for the ever better Vitali-Lewis fight. This fight is to relegate one fighter to journeyman status and slightly raise another fighter out of the depths of obscurity. The winner of this fight would be in line for a shot at a contender or two and if they won those, then a title shot.

Sultan Ibragimov - Jameel McCline: Sure Jameel McCline is boring as hell but Sultan would need a KO/TKO win to get himself back into the thick of things. If Jameel is able to outbox or KO a version of Sultan who is gunning for a KO instead of waiting on one punch all freaking fight then he's worthy of moving up in the rankings a bit. A win for Sultan puts him back into the contender status and a win for McCline puts him right back in the thick of things.

Travis Walker - Malik Scott: I would have rather picked Ray Austin but Ray has a couple losses and Malik is undefeated so far so it would tell us where both these guys stand. I don't know about you but Walker is a big ol' boy and he surprised me with how hard and accurate his punches were vs Arreola....if Walker is able to land and finish off a PURE BOXER like Scott then he can work his way back up the ladder to fight another contender.

I've got some other fights in mind but these seemed like they would make the most sense out of the division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fights that could help the heavyweight division.

Good post. First and foremost we need someone to take the title from Valuev, he's embarrassing the sport. The next thing guys need to fight more often and REALLY earn there title shots, it's mad that guys win one arbitrary eliminator are then forced on a title holder preventing an unification, it also stops prospects facing prospects. Your second and third fights should be no brainers, but the alphabets allow them to avoid each other.

El Kabong Guest

I know, it's ridiculous to think that someone like David Haye or Alexander Povetkin is ready to fight THE MAN of the division.....those guys haven't fought anyone with the power, skill, or size or either Klitschko brother.

If boxing cultivated it's prospects then the better fights would come around. So what if Haye or Povetkin lose to someone on their way up, it teaches them and if they learn from it they become better fighters and take that knowledge with them into future fights.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haye has gone about this all wrong IMO - that's why Wlad will rip him a new one.

He should have used the Holyfield method - starting slowly and gradually building the quality of opposition until he was ready. Before he fought Douglas for the title he went through Quick Tillis, Pinklon Thomas, Dokes, Adilson Rodriguez, Alex Stewart and Seamus McDonagh.

Even Michael Moorer went through guys like Stewart, Bonecrusher, Levi Billups and Bert Cooper (and more) before going for the prize.

Haye thinks he can go through a (relative) patsy like Barrett and then handle a Klitschko??

This type of thinking is endemic in all sports at the moment. Why pay your dues? Why devote real time and devotion to your craft? When you can just build a reputation based on hype and style over substance and then get a crack at the big one for squillions?
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I know, it's ridiculous to think that someone like David Haye or Alexander Povetkin is ready to fight THE MAN of the division.....those guys haven't fought anyone with the power, skill, or size or either Klitschko brother.

If boxing cultivated it's prospects then the better fights would come around. So what if Haye or Povetkin lose to someone on their way up, it teaches them and if they learn from it they become better fighters and take that knowledge with them into future fights.
    The thing is, if someone risks their record like Chambers and Povetkin, then the loss is used to shove the loser into the 'who needs him club'. There's no structure even WITHIN each alphabet, a win against a guy with consecutive losses can sometimes get you a shot.

jon09 Guest

Smile Re: Fights that could help the heavyweight division.

Pretty good heavyweight matches Lyle. How about we bring some of the younger heavyweights in the mix as well. Up and comers against battle tested vets. And see who can emerge as the next big thing. The heavyweights need more exposure this year.

Odlander Solis vs Lamon Brewster

Donnell Holmes vs Shannon Briggs

Bowie Tupou vs Hasim Rahman

Johnnie White vs Oleg Maskaev

JD Chapman vs James Toney

David Rodriguez vs Andrew Golota

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not these:

Saturday, Feb. 7 -- at Mpumalanga, South Africa
    Francois Botha vs. Ron Guerrero
    Saturday, Feb. 7 -- at Norfolk, VA
    Kirk Johnson vs. Dan Sheehan

Eddie Chambers needs to get back into the mix and extricate a few guys from the mix--like Tim Witherspoon.

Time for Aereolla to step up as well.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golota vs. Rahman in an eliminator (from the sport). I like Golata. Then Golata vs. Peter. Winner vs. Ray Austin.
    Mesi vs Holyfield. Safe fight for Mesi--I think

Valuev vs. someone halfway decent in order to eliminate the Beast from boxing.

Briggs vs. Toney to get rid of Toney-- I think. Or maybe Tua vs. Toney.

Then, the Klits need to to fight the top ranked fighters one after another.

And the fact I can post this madness indicates the state of thing today to wit: After the Klits and Haye, it's all over!

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All the champions are just fighting mandatories instead of fighting each other for how long now? I think champions fighting champions are what can POSSIBLY make this division interesting. But now Vlad and Vitali have most of the belts so that isn't going to happen.

When Peter, Valuev, Maskaev, Chagaev, Wlad had belts at some point recently, they should've been fighting each other.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what about that cage fighter that Roach is training.......supposedly coming over here?
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well to me we just need Vitali to beat up Valuev, Haye is obviously going to KO Wlad and then the 2 best heavys in the world (Vitali and Haye) can go at it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A rematch between Vitali and Lennox would spark an interest.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
    The thing is, if someone risks their record like Chambers and Povetkin, then the loss is used to shove the loser into the 'who needs him club'. There's no structure even WITHIN each alphabet, a win against a guy with consecutive losses can sometimes get you a shot.
    If Haye isn't confident in fighting Chambers or Povetkin then how the hell can he be confident in fighting Wladimir.

rjjtzsyu, Haye is going to get stomped if he choses to fight Wladimir right away as will Arreola HOWEVER at least Arreola has fought a guy with pretty good power who is a natural heavyweight.

I think Alexander Dimitrenko has the best shot vs Wladimir...he's big he has fast hands he's trained by Fritz Sdunek and he apparently can go to the body pretty good for a big guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIE0OnY6zps

He still needs some fine tuning but that KO shot on Krasniqi was something you don't see everyday from a heavyweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If povetkin can get some foot movement going he`ll own this division within 1-2 years.

For the sake of the heavyweight division i firmly believe non-runners like peter, valuev etc need to be cast aside....ive never ever believed in discriminating against a boxer but the sooner nikolay valuevs name has stopped tarnishing this division the better and i very much hope at some point he is put in with a half decent 6`4+ guy who can actually reach that grotesque chin of his and knock the bum out.

The Klitschkos need to stop fighting stagnent fighters that they can just pop the jab at all night

The likes of povetkin, Haye heck even arreola need to be thrown right into the deep end instead of these tedious number 1 contender match-ups

But most important of all in order for this division to not just remain the prime boxing division but even survive..........

These 18stone+ american talents need to stop being swayed to playing NFL and given decent financial packages for them to get back to boxing!!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

El Kabong Guest

Sam Peter shouldn't be cast aside just yet...he's 28 just like Haye. In fact he could prove to be quite a challenge for Haye.

The young guys NEED to get more experience so they can actually compete vs the top level guys. It's not like Povetkin has wowed everyone vs his toughest competition....Eddie Chambers was doing very well vs him and if Eddie can swell his eye up like that then imagine what a big guy like Wladimir or Vitali would do.

Thread Information