Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should David Haye hire a superstar trainer?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Should David Haye hire a superstar trainer?

With his fight with Wlad looking like it's going ahead in june, should David Haye bring in a world renowned trainer to help him maybe tighten up on his defensive skills and figure some sort of gameplan?

I was thinking about this and no disrespect to Adam Booth but Haye could surely learn a truck load from someone like Floyd Mayweather Sr for what is certainly the biggest fight of his career.

Anyway what do you guys think should Haye bring in a top trainer or stick with what he knows in Adam Booth?

I still see Wlad getting Ko'd wheter or not he does but I don't think it could harm him!

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Should David Haye hire a superstar trainer?

Well to be honest the Mayweather's haven't had much success at heavyweight. Manny Steward is totally out of the question, Teddy Atlas hasn't had a fighter in forever, Fritz Sdunek is out of the question and has a style that would NOT suit Haye, Buddy McGirt wouldn't fit him....the ONLY guy I can see Haye getting better with are Freddy Roach or possibly Ronnie Shields or Tommy Brooks but those are long shots.

I say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Well to be honest the Mayweather's haven't had much success at heavyweight. Manny Steward is totally out of the question, Teddy Atlas hasn't had a fighter in forever, Fritz Sdunek is out of the question and has a style that would NOT suit Haye, Buddy McGirt wouldn't fit him....the ONLY guy I can see Haye getting better with are Freddy Roach or possibly Ronnie Shields or Tommy Brooks but those are long shots.

I say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    No but adding a little extra could always help!

El Kabong Guest

I think Haye would benefit by using better defense and balance but I just don't think he will get Roach or settle for the likes of Shields or Brooks who haven't had elite fighters in a while.

El Kabong Guest

I think Haye should use the shell defense and develop a better jab and use it more often. The jab will allow him to work his way to the inside and the shell will allow for him to fight on the inside without taking damage...and he already likes keeping his lead hand low so the shell at least helps him out if he does it properly

And if any heavyweights need new trainers they are: Sam Peter, Odlanier Solis, Cris Arreola, Sultan Ibragimov, and anyone being trained by Lou Duva haha
    Last edited by El Kabong; 02-01-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think there is much chance of him actually bringing anyone else in but I think if anyone could really help him out it would be Mayweather sr.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    I don't think there is much chance of him actually bringing anyone else in but I think if anyone could really help him out it would be Mayweather sr.
    I really don't see that happening.

I haven't seen (and I don't see how) the Mayweather style would be effective in the heavyweight division. I don't see ANYONE who would be able to use that style to beat Wlad or Vitali...they are way too good at controlling distance

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Booth and Haye come across as well clued up to me. So far they've done great. They have the backing/help of great fighters like Lennox Lewis... so probably best to wait until it all goes pear-shaped before the inevitable changes
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

El Kabong Guest

At heavyweight Haye hasn't been tested AT ALL...sure he has had 2 fights but those guys didn't pressure him much or even have the skill to do anything to him. Throwing him in with Wladimir right away is a HUGE mistake, it could ruin his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No. Adam Booth is a great fukking trainer. Very underrated IMO. He has been with David all his career and like Anne Wolfe and James Kirkland, they have a great relationship and Adam knows David better than anybody. He's his manager as well as his trainer.

Haye should stick with Booth and he will be sticking with Booth. Booth is also now training Tony Dodson and David Price. Booth has done a fantastic job and will keep on doing an awesome job. They do great work in their camp in Cyprus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No Boothe is a world class trainer! Whenever I read on these forums about fighters getting a "superstar" trainer it usually translates to "American" I think that there are plenty of world lass trainers all over and Booth is definitely one of them.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    At heavyweight Haye hasn't been tested AT ALL...sure he has had 2 fights but those guys didn't pressure him much or even have the skill to do anything to him. Throwing him in with Wladimir right away is a HUGE mistake, it could ruin his career.
    He's already had a superb career. Getting a fight with Wlad straight away is a masterstroke by Team Haye.

Sparking out the heavyweight champ automatically makes him a superstar.

If he loses.. so what? No one expects him to win anyway. He's young enough to come again.. if he wants
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    He's already had a superb career. Getting a fight with Wlad straight away is a masterstroke by Team Haye.

Sparking out the heavyweight champ automatically makes him a superstar.

If he loses.. so what? No one expects him to win anyway. He's young enough to come again.. if he wants
    WHAT? David Haye is 28 he just now got into the division full time....EVANDER HOLYFIELD had 6 heavyweight fights in a row before getting a title shot after a more impressive career at cruiserweight. Surely you don't suggest risking David Haye's future so soon?

If Haye takes 12 rounds of ass whuppin' (or even 6) he will not be half as good as he used to be (which in all honesty is 100% worse than what people already think of him). He's just not that good, he's a cruiserweight, he fights off balance, he is too wild, and he hasn't shown very good defense either.

You want to see him get demolished and ruin his career, fine by me.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 02-01-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Booth seems like a smart guy & I think if he wasn't up to it, he would move himself aside for someone else before David Haye had even thought about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are many very good trainers that we havent heard of. Haye probably has a good trainer, he did win world titles. I think it comes down to chemistry. Look at Jermaine Taylor. He left his original trainer and went with Steward, but now hes back with his original trainer and doing better.
    Only Forum Amature With Well Over 2000 Posts!

Thread Information