Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Duke, Holyfield, The "Beast," Bowe, etc hurting boxing's image?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are the Duke, Holyfield, The "Beast," Bowe, etc hurting boxing's image?

We have Kirk Johnson making a comeback. OK. But Joe Hipp coming back and Holyfield fighting the Beast is not a good thing. Nor is a shot Duke icing some living corpse in Wyoming. But he says he hasn't lost anything. Plus, Bowe on the comeback trail one fight per year at a time. Saoul Mamby recently fought at age 61. And Camacho SR supposedly is still kicking around. A bunch of UK fighters have become the "New Centurions" as they have now lost in excess of 100 bouts each. But Slovakians are giving them a run for their money. Meanwhile, incredible mismatches continue in Thailand.

WTF is going on here? Surley this freak show persona cannot help boxing's image at a time when it is feeling a competitive push from MMA and UFC.

What's your take on this?

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Are the Duke, Holyfield, The "Beast," Bowe, etc hurting boxing's image?

While Bowe, Holyfield, and Morrison aren't helping boxing they aren't hurting boxing as much as douchebags are hurting MMA....let's not kid ourselves douchebags are hurting MMA all of us see it every night when we go out and see 100 greaseballs in Affliction t-shirts...douchebags are killing MMA and it starts with Dana White and Joe Rogan of UFC

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are the Duke, Holyfield, The "Beast," Bowe, etc hurting boxing's image?

But we have some "douchebags" in boxing do we not? Just asking?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just watched that Morrison disgrace and almost puked all ove the monitor. I've seen more sincere stuff in Pro Wrestling. Bile-inducing! Anyone have a puking icon?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    But we have some "douchebags" in boxing do we not? Just asking?
    True we do have SOME douchebags in boxing but they aren't the overwhelming majority as is the case in MMA

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think they are directly responsible for Boxings over all image at this point.Every generation has its line of guys hanging on buy their finger tips...refusing to get the message,distractions,& media termites pointing to the worst scenarios.As long as their name remains,often existing on only memories sadly, scrupulous and oppurtunistic promoters will look to make a buck off them....and the fans continue to doll out the dollars,nothing will change.We as fans just need to keep it all in prespective.....and when we see talk about "Tysons coming back.....he has a chance" Show that silly shite the door!MMA has Nattas on Boxing,it wishes it had our freakshows

El Kabong Guest

Boxing is bigger (and makes more money) than MMA so of course we'll have more "cling-ons"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After Holyfield's supposed loss to Valuev, the only things he is hurting in boxing is the WBA's lousy championship image and showing how crooked their judges are. So if this leads to the WBA's eventual demise, then Holyfield is a good thing and should lobby for a rematch.
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They arent hurting and they arent helping,its like saying are the Who and the Stones touring again hurting rock n roll

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You will always get the types who just will not let it go, or else are doing it primarily for financial reasons. I dont think it hurts boxing image so long as quality matchups are being made elsewhere.

The thing that hurts boxing most IMO are the god awful judicial decisions we have to encounter all too often after a big fight.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    While Bowe, Holyfield, and Morrison aren't helping boxing they aren't hurting boxing as much as douchebags are hurting MMA....let's not kid ourselves douchebags are hurting MMA all of us see it every night when we go out and see 100 greaseballs in Affliction t-shirts...douchebags are killing MMA and it starts with Dana White and Joe Rogan of UFC
    hahaha

Spot on. I hate the fuckers who wear the Tapout shirts the most though.

Can you even pull of an armbar properly motherfucker!?

No?

Then take that fucking shirt off POSER!
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    They arent hurting and they arent helping,its like saying are the Who and the Stones touring again hurting rock n roll
    ....I wouldn't compare any of those guys to The Who or The Stones. Those groups are LEGENDS at best the only legend out of Morrison, Bowe, and Holyfield is Holyfield

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    ....I wouldn't compare any of those guys to The Who or The Stones. Those groups are LEGENDS at best the only legend out of Morrison, Bowe, and Holyfield is Holyfield
    Very true Lyle although some may argue Bowe is. For me Bowe didn't do enough to be in that category.

El Kabong Guest

Bowe was a guy who didn't get (or take) shots at the best of his era. Look at Bowe's record and you won't see: Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, Shannon Briggs, Michael Moorer, Ray Mercer, Tommy Morrison, Donovan Rudduck, or Frank Bruno.

I think Riddick would have been a great if he fought(and beat) Mike Tyson, IMO he had all the tools to beat Tyson too.

The 1990's heavyweight division really pisses me off because there is very little binding the great fighters of that era together. In the 1970's Ali, Frazier, Foreman, and others are bound together because they all fought each other. Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, and Evander Holyfield fought each other but after that you don't have those guys sharing many opponents and it's a shame because with guys like: Bowe, Rudduck, Morrison, Moorer, etc didn't fight all three of those guys. I really wish these fights had happened....

Mike Tyson: Michael Moorer, Riddick Bowe, Tommy Morrison, Ray Mercer, old George Foreman, Hasim Rahman, David Tua

Lennox Lewis: Riddick Bowe (all Bowe's fault that didn't happen), Michael Moorer...and I guess that's about it

Evander Holyfield: Andrew Golota, Tommy Morrison, David Tua

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lyle,all three WERE champions,but if you prefer, the Stones,Styx,and Lynyrd Skynard

Thread Information