Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default barrera vs khan

i love barrera,but i think hes had his time. i want khan to do well so badly, as in i want him to win this fight. but, in sayin this i cant help thinkin that barrera might school him. i think khan might be to green still. what do u guys think

ICB Guest

Default Re: barrera vs khan

My thoughts is don't sit at ringside because Con's glass chin is getting cracked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    My thoughts is don't sit at ringside because Con's chin is getting cracked.
    ha ha, im takin that as a barrera win

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Khan's speed will be too much for Barrera, at the end of the day Barrera is not Prescott, I don't think his punches will stop Khan. Also think that Khan is showing the necessary respect for his opponent this time, something he didn't do against Prescott. If anything its Barrera who's making mistakes looking past him & talking about fightin JMM & Pac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

kahn overhyped got a glass jaw.....barrera getting long in the tooth but think his experience will come thru....jst dont think much of amir kahn a marketed fighter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    I think Khan's speed will be too much for Barrera, at the end of the day Barrera is not Prescott, I don't think his punches will stop Khan. Also think that Khan is showing the necessary respect for his opponent this time, something he didn't do against Prescott. If anything its Barrera who's making mistakes looking past him & talking about fightin JMM & Pac.
    Barrera might not be Prescott but imo he'd hit alot harder than Gomez and Limmond, I think Barrera will win by stoppage rd1-5

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just re-watched Barrera fight in China. A 4th round stoppage. Barrera didn't look great. He's clearly on the downside of his career. But I don't think it matters. I seen Con fight. He ain't no Sammy Ventura. Barrera in 3.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Barrera might not be Prescott but imo he'd hit alot harder than Gomez and Limmond, I think Barrera will win by stoppage rd1-5
    Not sure about Michael Gomez, who could pack a decent punch, but definitely harder than Limond. However, I don't see Barrera as a big puncher at least not at 135 & not anymore. His last knockout was against a guy who had been knocked in 3 of his previous 4 fights, & each time quicker than MAB would eventually drop him for. Prior to that you have to go back to 2005 to find his last KO against Fana. Even this last weekend he got taken to the 3rd round by a guy with a 1-7-1 record, can you imagine how embarassin that would have been for the MAB of old. I would be certain that the pre-2005 Barrera demolishes Khan, even at Lightweight, but I just think he is no longer the fighter he was. In truth I don't want to see another former great & hero of mine getting demolished, so I'm hoping he's still got it although a Khan win would be better for boxing in the mainstream so I may back him on fight night. I think Khan by 9th Round TKO.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure about Michael Gomez, who could pack a decent punch, but definitely harder than Limond. However, I don't see Barrera as a big puncher at least not at 135 & not anymore. His last knockout was against a guy who had been knocked in 3 of his previous 4 fights, & each time quicker than MAB would eventually drop him for. Prior to that you have to go back to 2005 to find his last KO against Fana. Even this last weekend he got taken to the 3rd round by a guy with a 1-7-1 record, can you imagine how embarassin that would have been for the MAB of old. I would be certain that the pre-2005 Barrera demolishes Khan, even at Lightweight, but I just think he is no longer the fighter he was. In truth I don't want to see another former great & hero of mine getting demolished, so I'm hoping he's still got it although a Khan win would be better for boxing in the mainstream so I may back him on fight night. I think Khan by 9th Round TKO.
    Barrera has world-class power though.. albeit at a lower weight. Khan's punch resistance is shockingly poor. He was visibly hurt by Gomez to the body as well as being floored. And if a total non-puncher like Limond can hurt him there's no question Barrera can.

I think Barrera was carrying the cab driver to get a few rounds under his belt.. before it backfired.

Obviously he is past his best, faces a big size and age disadvantage but Khan has to show BIG improvement to win.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

MAB in his prime was taken to the 4th round by a 2-1 fighter Cesar Najera, who was his sparring partner believe it or not. As Fenster said it means nothing he was trying to get some rounds in thats it. And i wouldn't say MAB doesn't have power anymore, he stopped himself getting KO'ed against JMM by turning the fight around with one punch.

He also stunned Manny Pacquiao a few times i thought aswell. And to be fair who at the moment would be able to stop tough fighters like JMM, Manny Pacquiao, Rocky Juarez ?

And lastly you mentioned Michael Gomez he was a Super Featherweight for most of his career. He fought Amir Khan at Lightweight which is a big difference.

And Michael Gomez isn't that big of a puncher, he has some pop but he is certainly nowhere near a world class puncher. And Willie Limond only has 8 stoppage wins out of 30 wins, and half of those stoppage wins were against fighters with losing records. Yet he had Amir Khan on queer street.
    Last edited by ICB; 02-05-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barrera to win

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm praying on Barrera to knock Khan through the ropes onto Frank Warrens lap but I have a feeling Con has got Barrera at the right time.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MAB in his prime was taken to the 4th round by a 2-1 fighter Cesar Najera, who was his sparring partner believe it or not. As Fenster said it means nothing he was trying to get some rounds in thats it. And i wouldn't say MAB doesn't have power anymore, he stopped himself getting KO'ed against JMM by turning the fight around with one punch.

He also stunned Manny Pacquiao a few times i thought aswell. And to be fair who at the moment would be able to stop tough fighters like JMM, Manny Pacquiao, Rocky Juarez ?

And lastly you mentioned Michael Gomez he was a Super Featherweight for most of his career. He fought Amir Khan at Lightweight which is a big difference.

And Michael Gomez isn't that big of a puncher, he has some pop but he is certainly nowhere near a world class puncher. And Willie Limond only has 8 stoppage wins out of 30 wins, and half of those stoppage wins were against fighters with losing records. Yet he had Amir Khan on queer street.
    I am aware that Gomez has pretty much always fought at 130, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he does & has generally always had good 1 punch power, whilst IMO Barrera hasn't demonstrated world class power above 126. True about the JMM punch, I'd forgotten about that but it was never a situation where I thought JMM would get stopped. Can't say I ever thought he did anything to Pacquiao as much as I was hoping for it at the time.

If this was the Barrera of 4 years ago, it wouldn't even be an issue, but I've watched the fight against Rojas & he just doesn't seem to be the same fighter anymore not even near. I know you can say he wanted some rounds under his belt, maybe he did, but I didn't enjoy watching him fight because he just wasn't the MAB I used to love watching. The Najera fight isn't a great example because like you say they were sparring partners & I wouldn't be surprised if MAB was allowing him a bit of dignity by not blowing him out in the first round.

I'm not saying Khan can just turn up & he'll roll over, like Fenster says it will have to be a really improved performance, but I just think age, wars & size will count against MAB.

Agree with you about Limond though dunno how he knocked Khan down, I remember thinkin at the time he'd struggle to knock my nan over

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am aware that Gomez has pretty much always fought at 130, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he does & has generally always had good 1 punch power, whilst IMO Barrera hasn't demonstrated world class power above 126. True about the JMM punch, I'd forgotten about that but it was never a situation where I thought JMM would get stopped. Can't say I ever thought he did anything to Pacquiao as much as I was hoping for it at the time.

If this was the Barrera of 4 years ago, it wouldn't even be an issue, but I've watched the fight against Rojas & he just doesn't seem to be the same fighter anymore not even near. I know you can say he wanted some rounds under his belt, maybe he did, but I didn't enjoy watching him fight because he just wasn't the MAB I used to love watching. The Najera fight isn't a great example because like you say they were sparring partners & I wouldn't be surprised if MAB was allowing him a bit of dignity by not blowing him out in the first round.

I'm not saying Khan can just turn up & he'll roll over, like Fenster says it will have to be a really improved performance, but I just think age, wars & size will count against MAB.

Agree with you about Limond though dunno how he knocked Khan down
    , I remember thinkin at the time he'd struggle to knock my nan over
    Easy. He hit Con in the face. With Con not having a chin to cushion the blow. He went down.

VD note: I'm well aware it was a temple shot. But that's just simple semantics.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a tough fight to call imo. I favour Barrera if he has anything left at this stage and I think he could stop Khan who will probably get hit a lot in this fight.

Watching guys like Limond and Gomez rattle Khan it's hard to envisage that a slick boxing legend like Barrera isn't going to land his share of punches.

Barrera put down Marquez only a year or so ago so let's dismiss any thoughts of him not having the power at lightweight to hurt Khan.

I see Khan's speed and youth giving Barrera problems and I can see Khan winning rounds. But for me Khan will have to fight a perfect fight to pull this off, something he hasn't yet done.

Barrera can probably afford to make mistakes and not get punished but if Khan messes up he's probably getting stopped so a very risky fight.

I want Amir to win, great for British boxing and he is the future of the sport and taking a brave step up. But right now I'm favouring Barrera to stop him in the middle rounds.

Thread Information