Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ICB Where did you learn to play chess mate?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default ICB Where did you learn to play chess mate?

CGM told me you beat him with ease the other night, impressive seeing as he's a tournament player.

Where did you learn to play buddy?

What openings do you play, I know you beat CGM with a good sidleline against his KID last time where did you learn to play that, it's rare that someone who doesnt play competitively even opens with 1.d4 so you must have some book knowledge?

ICB Guest

Default Re: ICB Where did you learn to play chess mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    CGM told me you beat him with ease the other night, impressive seeing as he's a tournament player.

Where did you learn to play buddy?

What openings do you play, I know you beat CGM with a good sidleline against his KID last time where did you learn to play that, it's rare that someone who doesnt play competitively even opens with 1.d4 so you must have some book knowledge?
    I beat him a few months ago i don't really play anymore i played a bit at school, my teacher there was a great player we used to play checkers, chess, every now and again.

He taught me quite a bit of stuff, but really i don't want to sound like im blowing my own trumpet. But i don't know what it is but i can see many moves ahead. You know like you said that time in Checkers ? well thats it i can just see the moves.

I've always described Checkers as looking down a well, and Chess looking across the sea regarding Position, Moves, ETC. Im a much better Checkers player i think im at grandmaster level at Checkers no kidding.

But i moved on Bilbo i got interested in other stuff like Weight training, Boxing, Basketball, Girls, ETC. Basically what all other teenagers get interested in, i don't mind playing every now and again if you ever want to play Checkers, Chess, once a week or something.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah well I don't play checkers beyond knowing the rules but you beat me easily about 8 times in a row and kept scoring multiple hits.

I thought you must be very good although I've never learnt how to play it and it may be an easy game to master, I know computers have now solved checkers completely so it's probably an easy game to learn in comparison with chess.

But chess is a very difficult game to learn without deep study as there is so much strategy to learn. It's not even about looking many moves ahead really, usually its positional factors such as pawn structure, weak squares, open files, potential outposts, good kinght against bad bishop etc that factor and lead a strong player into making his decision, a top level player doesn't sit and analyse many many combinations of moves or look far ahead unless it's a tactical situation like calculating an exchange or a sacrifice.

Did you study openings, pawn structures, effective piece placement and attacking strategy or does it all just come naturally to you?

I've been playing seriously since October last year in club competition and started studying the game since April last year when I started playing Legion and I'm still only a beginner player comparitively, about 100 ECF rating, I believe CGM has beaten master level players, which would be around 200 level so to beat him in a game is a remarkable feat considering you don't play, certainly comparable to me whitewashing you in checkers.

What openings do you play?

ICB Guest

Yeah well I don't play checkers beyond knowing the rules but you beat me easily about 8 times in a row and kept scoring multiple hits.

I thought you must be very good although I've never learnt how to play it and it may be an easy game to master, I know computers have now solved checkers completely so it's probably an easy game to learn in comparison with chess.

But chess is a very difficult game to learn without deep study as there is so much strategy to learn. It's not even about looking many moves ahead really, usually its positional factors such as pawn structure, weak squares, open files, potential outposts, good kinght against bad bishop etc that factor and lead a strong player into making his decision, a top level player doesn't sit and analyse many many combinations of moves or look far ahead unless it's a tactical situation like calculating an exchange or a sacrifice.

Did you study openings, pawn structures, effective piece placement and attacking strategy or does it all just come naturally to you?

I've been playing seriously since October last year in club competition and started studying the game since April last year when I started playing Legion and I'm still only a beginner player comparitively, about 100 ECF rating, I believe CGM has beaten master level players, which would be around 200 level so to beat him in a game is a remarkable feat considering you don't play, certainly comparable to me whitewashing you in checkers.

What openings do you play?
    My teacher gave me a chess book i used to look at the openings and ETC. And when i got a computer i looked at Grandmaster's games and used to study them, but i got bored of Chess to be honest and as i said i started to concentrate on other things.

Believe it or not my mom actually taught me Checkers she isn't a bad player, and when i was little i used to play with her before i went to school and ETC.

I then played some games online and got a 2100's rating. If your good at Chess you should be pretty good at Checkers, but its still not as easy as you think.

But i always enjoyed Checkers more even though i used to like the tactical side of Chess, but as i said if you ever want a game of either game once a week or something let me know. We can even get a few of the other Saddo members, i also played Killersheep at Chess aswell.

I can play speed Chess and Checkers i did used to play some 1 minute games of Checkers, and 2 minute games of Chess.
    Last edited by ICB; 02-08-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm it's just I remember you saying this to me last year

You would destroy me at chess only played that like twice the only thing i know about that game is how the pieces move. Why don't we set up a game me you Legion and Lee etc ??

Now you're saying you were a chess prodigy and studied grandmaster games?

It seems a bit strange to me, especially when you said you can look many moves ahead, when in a 15 min online game top players wouldnt bother to calculate many moves ahead but would just play quickly according to positional factors like I mentioned above, there simply wouldnt be time for advanced calculations.

Also you never responded as to what openings you used which kind of makes me think you don't know the names, which simply wouldn't be the case if you studied chess.

I think the jury is out on this, but I think a chess computer was used, just my opinion of course, you could be some kind of autistic child prodigy who happened to be a genuis at chess but it's more likely imo that you own a copy of Chessmaster

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a trap! Good stuff.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    You had to see that coming, Bilbo does not start conversations with compliments or acknowledgements of others success, unless there is a deeper motive.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    You had to see that coming, Bilbo does not start conversations with compliments or acknowledgements of others success, unless there is a deeper motive.
    Well someone had to ask the question, as youngblood said to me earlier he's either an unlikely idiot savante or else he cheated.

Considering when he first posted on this forum he could barely write it seems a bit peculiar that he would have been a chess and checkers genuis just a few years before?

It's also 'interesting' to me that Ice joined Saddos a week after Britkid made his final post He has this amazing knowledge for a 19 yr old kid don't you think, having even watched all the fights of Mexican journeyman from the 70's.

And he did create that alt account before SSSSS.

He also knew Britkid left due to a virus on his comp again strange seeing as he left after Britkid arrived?

I'm not saying Ice is Britkid but I have a feeling Ice was on the forum before.........

Anyway I'm interested to hear what he says

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man, this forum doesn't play anymore does it?

Interesting, Ice can take the stand in his own defense if he wants. I don't believe Ice was on the forum before simply because I remember when Ice was first on here and he certainly wasn't as versed as he is now. But he is fairly bizarre and off the wall at times with all sorts of inconsistencies in his postings so lets see what he says here.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man, this forum doesn't play anymore does it?

Interesting, Ice can take the stand in his own defense if he wants. I don't believe Ice was on the forum before simply because I remember when Ice was first on here and he certainly wasn't as versed as he is now. But he is fairly bizarre and off the wall at times with all sorts of inconsistencies in his postings so lets see what he says here.

yeah but Im thinking that may have been a conscious decision to create an alt?

How could his spelling be so bad and he be so young yet have such a wealth of boxing knowledge spanning decades?

Isn't he now something like 5-0 as an amatuer as well now? Good start I have to say....

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because Bilbo it's possible. When he first started he was posting all youtube videos, he downloads a lot of fights all it takes is to watch a lot of fights. I wouldn't call his knowledge encyclopedic or anything, he's just watched a lot of fights but his knowledge is still spotty imo. Nothing like Britkid's, that's no dig at ice it's just the way I see it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because Bilbo it's possible. When he first started he was posting all youtube videos, he downloads a lot of fights all it takes is to watch a lot of fights. I wouldn't call his knowledge encyclopedic or anything, he's just watched a lot of fights but his knowledge is still spotty imo. Nothing like Britkid's, that's no dig at ice it's just the way I see it.
    Yeah you may be right maybe I'm just extra suspicious right now

But I definitely believe he cheated at chess. How can he say a year or so ago that he only played the game twice and barely knew how the pieces moved to now having studied grandmaster games whilst in school?

I played Sharla online today and she played like someone who barely knew how the pieces moved, by the sounds of it Ice managed to work out in a 15 min game the best opening theory against the Kings Indian Defense worked out over the last 100 years or so of chess practise, like I say he's either Capablanca reincarnated or else he owns Chessmaster.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just spilled a box of toothpicks on the floor.......

ICE, how many are left in the box?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I played Sharla online today and she played like someone who barely knew how the pieces moved
    That's because I didn't know how the pieces moved! You don't have to tell everyone though!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    I played Sharla online today and she played like someone who barely knew how the pieces moved
    That's because I didn't know how the pieces moved! You don't have to tell everyone though!
    Wow what a retard.

I don't either, actually.

Thread Information