Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Same day weigh ins will get people killed

Lets face facts; wherever you have weight classes, you will have weight cutting. You can have the weigh ins 30 minutes before the fight and people will still be dehydrating themselves to cut weight.

I hear people say we should go to same day weigh ins, like this will suddenly get rid of weight cutting. All this accomplish will be to send guys into the ring dehydrated or not fully replenished. Your brain is surrounded by cerebralspinal fluid which is, like your body, composed of mostly water, so when guys are not fully replenished they are at more risk of brain injury.

So why do people think this is a good idea? Are they niave enough to think it will eliminate weight cutting? I don't understand it.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Same day weigh ins will get people killed

Oh I totally agree....adding any more restrictions to making weight will only get more people hurt because the athletes will try to bend the rules as best as they can despite what it may mean for their bodies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

like you say it will be more dangerous at least when its the day before the fighters can rehydrate.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Lets face facts; wherever you have weight classes, you will have weight cutting. You can have the weigh ins 30 minutes before the fight and people will still be dehydrating themselves to cut weight.

I hear people say we should go to same day weigh ins, like this will suddenly get rid of weight cutting. All this accomplish will be to send guys into the ring dehydrated or not fully replenished. Your brain is surrounded by cerebralspinal fluid which is, like your body, composed of mostly water, so when guys are not fully replenished they are at more risk of brain injury.

So why do people think this is a good idea? Are they niave enough to think it will eliminate weight cutting? I don't understand it.
    Seems to work ok in Amatuer boxing. The intention is to prevent fighters from dehydrating and malnourishing themselves. I have a hard time imagining someone not eating and dehydrating when the fight is coming up in a few hours. Most fighters would have to move up a weight class at least.
    Last edited by killersheep; 02-17-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree 100%.

Its not perfect but if it helps to reduce Brain injures which I think it does its a god thing overall.
    Balls

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post

I agree 100%.

Its not perfect but if it helps to reduce Brain injures which I think it does its a god thing overall.
    What does God have to do with it?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anybody who over Dehydrates, and thats most Fighters now interestingly will find it takes four days to rehydrate, its an interesting point.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

Seems to work ok in Amatuer boxing. The intention is to prevent fighters from dehydrating and malnourishing themselves. I have a hard time imagining someone not eating and dehydrating when the fight is coming up in a few hours. Most fighters would have to move up a weight class at least.
    Andrew did it against Dumas,and look what happened

SigmaMu Guest

I think every one knows that sameday weigh in is dangerous but every org should be limiting the ammount of weight a fighter can gain before a bout. I think limiting the weight to no more than 8 pounds over after weigh in is fair. We have seen fighters gain 10 to 15 pounds after the weigh in and we know that aint right either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, though I do think the weigh in weight and the pre-fight weight should be mandaded to be within 10 pounds, maybe even 8.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It may encourage fighters to fight at their natural weights. A guy who is 160lbs would in theory fight a guy who is also 160lbs come fight night. It's unlikely there would be big weight differences between the fighters.

It would discourage fighters from cutting too much weight and encourge fighters to fight at a weight in which they are comfortable. Good plan i say.

I fail to see how they will get people killed. Only an idiot would turn up at a weigh in severley dehydrated and gaunt if he was fighting in only a few hours. He would turn up practically in his fighting condition - minus his pre-fight meal. Great plan.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't like the idea. I think boxers with their traniers are going to always try to gain an edge, and will always cut to make weight. Lessening the rehydration period I think would cause a lot of fighters to try and do it in the shorter period of time, and put themselves at more risk and be fighting in a more weakened state.

It is good in theory. In that it might force boxers to come in closer to fighting weight, but think it would cause many others to try and manipulate it and end up in harms way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    I agree, though I do think the weigh in weight and the pre-fight weight should be mandaded to be within 10 pounds, maybe even 8.
    Why stop there? It seems strange to me. The way it is now you get welterweights fhowing on fight day approaching mi9ddleweight. It makes for uneven fights weightwise. I would rather see a system whereby when a guy steps into the ring as a welterweight, he really is a welterweight. Not sure how they would do that though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I don't like the idea. I think boxers with their traniers are going to always try to gain an edge, and will always cut to make weight. Lessening the rehydration period I think would cause a lot of fighters to try and do it in the shorter period of time, and put themselves at more risk and be fighting in a more weakened state.

It is good in theory. In that it might force boxers to come in closer to fighting weight, but think it would cause many others to try and manipulate it and end up in harms way.
    But if we can see what danger the fighter would be in from using the current procedure of cutting weight for the new rules of making weight, then surely the fighters and trainer can aswell.

It's surely the trainers job and the fighters job to make sure the fighter is comfortable with the weight so they should be held responsible.

Stevie Wonder can see that there will be no advantage to be gained from dehydrating yourself on the day of a fight.

I would imagine trainers would have to take some form of exam where they can show that they have knowledge of the dangers of using the various weight making procedures.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Why stop there? It seems strange to me. The way it is now you get welterweights fhowing on fight day approaching mi9ddleweight. It makes for uneven fights weightwise. I would rather see a system whereby when a guy steps into the ring as a welterweight, he really is a welterweight. Not sure how they would do that though.
    I agree. Same day weigh ins are the only way.

Thread Information