Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default stepping in with jab?

When i step in with the jab is it sort of like i draw my lead foot back a few inches sort of poised ready to step in and then when i step in with my jab im in position to let all my other punches go.Is this classed as being inside? or is it when im standing really square and and close to the opponent? Hope that makes sense, I know what i mean but it can be hard to explain sometimes

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: stepping in with jab?

Quote Originally Posted by cocobeware View Post
    When i step in with the jab is it sort of like i draw my lead foot back a few inches sort of poised ready to step in and then when i step in with my jab im in position to let all my other punches go.Is this classed as being inside? or is it when im standing really square and and close to the opponent? Hope that makes sense, I know what i mean but it can be hard to explain sometimes
    I don't know if there is a hard and fast term for inside. I just assume it to be when inside an opponents range. Often with a step jab like you speak of, I'll throw it (going inside that range) then step right back out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well you're using your jab to measure the distance, and if stepping forward allows you to connect, then your in range to throw other punches, but take some as well.. Stepping back will take you outside that range..

But yeah, when you say someone is good at fighting inside, you aren't really referring to them stepping into range and being good from there, more like being in close to your opponent where most of your body is in there and you're pressuring the opponent with your physical presence..

I'd probably refer to what your doing is stepping into range.. But saying stepping inside is probably the same thing..

Being an expert as exactly where that point of being inside and outside range is a really important thing and constantly measuring that with your jab and being good at moving in and out of it for attack and defense is a great thing to be able to do..

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is inside fighting and outside fighting.
    It is confusing, really they should of termed it ' distance' and 'in fighting' so that then we could use the term inside for being inside both the guys arms and outside for being on the outside of either one of his arms. I think it would make life alot easier when talking shop.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighting inside is when your inside your opponents arms,throwing hooks to the body,uppercuts,and maybe a cross,and pressuring them.
    Hopkins is very good at fighting inside,Tyson when he was younger was

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Fighting inside is when your inside your opponents arms,throwing hooks to the body,uppercuts,and maybe a cross,and pressuring them.
    Hopkins is very good at fighting inside,Tyson when he was younger was
    Ok so from that inside position .. if one of his arms pressures one of mine and I let it come inside and i side step and maintain the same distance head to head and bring his arm into my centre so that now im still nose to nose but Im on the outside of one of his elbows so that Im square and can punch him with both hands but he cant punch me with any of his for that second cause Im over the outside his elbow.
    Am I then considered outside fighting? even though Im still nose to nose?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi "Coco,"
    Mechanically speaking, "stepping in" with a jab basically refers to pushing off your rear foot while simultaneously taking a forward step (often referred to as a trigger step, gliding step, drop step, falling step, etc) with your lead foot. It is primarily done to augment the potency of the jab whether you're "in" range or "out" of range of hitting your opponent.

Metaphorically, "stepping in" also refers to executing your jab with full commitment NOT half-hearted or timidly.

As far as being "inside" after stepping in with a jab, it depends. You can "step in-and-out" with a jab, pecking and potshotting an opponent from the "outside" ala the 60's Muhammad Ali OR "step in" and stay in to initiate "inside" fighting.

Andre wrote:
    There is inside fighting and outside fighting.
    It is confusing, really they should of termed it ' distance' and 'in fighting' so that then we could use the term inside for being inside both the guys arms and outside for being on the outside of either one of his arms. I think it would make life alot easier when talking shop.
    I agree.

In regards to the discussion about what is "outside" and "inside" fighting, "outside" fighting generally refers to the "free movement" range, the distance where straight punches (i.e. jabs and straight right/left hands) are the optimum shots to utilize with "in-and-out" and/or lateral footwork, while "inside" fighting refers to the "close quarters" range, the distance where tight hooks and uppercuts are the optimum shots to use when fighting "nose-to-nose" where both you and your opponent are in-range to hit and be hit without needing any footwork to get you there.

Take Care,
    Lito
    Last edited by StrictlySP; 03-10-2009 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks you for youre replys Lito you seem to have very knowlegable and explain things very well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cocobeware View Post
    thanks you for youre replys Lito you seem to have very knowlegable and explain things very well
    x2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sometimes i notice that when i step with my jab unless my foot placment is spot on it feels like i cant get my weight behind the punch kind of like its out of alignment,I think it is usually when i have tried to take to big a step so am trying to comcentrate on taking little baby steps or someimes not even advancing at all still using the same motion as stepping but without actually moving forward if that makes sense.Also is it supposed to always be a straight step or should it be a little to the left as if widen the stance slightly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let me see if I can make a working definition for inside, outside, in-fighting and out-fighting.

Assuming that a boxer has an arm extended and the opponent's face is at the tip of the first boxer's fist. Then we draw an imaginary line from the first boxer's elbow down to the floor. We can designate the space from the opposing fighter to the imaginary line as inside and then the space from the imaginary line to the boxer with the extended arm as outside. In-fighting and out-fighting is then defined by these spaces.

A boxer is in-fighting when in the inside and out-fighting when outside. Each style follows different principles to be effective. In in-fighting, a fighter try to keep as close as possible to the adversary while in a low stance consequently leaning forward in order to inflict maximum damage. Trying to keep close is in a way a defensive strategy because if the opponent isn't use to punching in a confined space then a boxer inside won't receive any punches. On the other hand, in out-fighting a fighter tries to keep the opponent at the edge of their reach and hopefully keep the opponent away in order to receive minimum damage and inflict maximum damage.

Given these definitions, stepping-in isn't unique to in-fighting because both out-fighters and in-fighters try to get into their range. If you deliver jabs to get inside it isn't in-fighting yet but a technique to get into range.

Did I get it correct?

Also, I have other things that I need help with.

(1) out-boxers are often considered as defensive orriented, can they be considered as offensive? Given the discussion about steppin-in by one of our members, a boxer can move forward to get into their firing range while keeping their opponents at arm's length. (e.g. Paul Williams )

(2) For an in-fighter, is jabbing your way inside the best way to get into range?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think of "out-fighting" as long-range boxing, that is controlling distance and staying just out of range of an opponent's punches through the use of footwork, feints and intelligent jabbing. On the other hand, "In-fighting" is typically defined as fighting at close range.

The terms used with avoiding punches can cause confusion, take slipping to the outside of an opponent's jab for instance. Against an orthodox fighter, you'd be slipping to the right of their jab, that is that their jab goes over your left shoulder. If you were to slip to the inside of a jab, their jab would go over your right shoulder. It's reversed if you were to slip a straight right. In these cases it refers to where your head is in relation to your opponent's leads. You can also step to the outside of an opponent's lead (to the side of them).

To answer your questions:
    1. Out-boxers, let's just call them boxers alright, can take the fight to their opponent. The idea here is to hit and not get hit. I recommend reading these threads: http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...-circling.html http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...u-get-hit.html

2. Jabbing your way in is one way to go and not always best since there's more to it than that. A lot of an in-fighter's success comes from being able to counter most leads through slipping or other means. They may pressure an opponent thus causing them to throw a counterpunch in which they themselves are prepared to counter. It takes a lot of skill be stay at close range and be successful. I recommend reading this post: http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...ts-attack.html

Depending on the fighters, the range in which a match is fought can vary or shift constantly.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 06-17-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information