Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default John Murray worried about lack of fights coming his way

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/other-sports/2009/02/28/Boxing-Murray-unhappy-at-inactivity/gnid-42320/
    A good, but worrying piece

British lightweight champion John Murray believes a lack of activity is limiting his chances of reaching the next level.

While Murray sees compatriot Amir Khan facing Marco Antonio Barrera in a WBO eliminator on March 14, the Mancunian will likely have to wait until May for his next contest, he hopes against the man who defeated Khan, Bredis Prescott.

Murray's successful defence against Lee McAllister in January waited six months from winning the British lightweight title against Lee Meager to defend it against Lee McAllister in January.

Although his total of 26 fights in six years as a professional is a reasonable tally by most standards, Murray feels it is necessary for him to be more active in order to create a buzz around him in the competitive lightweight division.

“It is a thorn in the side because you get to a certain level and want to be active at that level to move up again," Murray told Boxing Scene. "If you have these long layoffs you start to get a bit rusty, and have to start from scratch next time you fight.

"Mick has said that the Prescott fight is possible. It is a fight I want and it could happen in May. Ideally I wanted to get out this weekend against (Scott) Lawton or someone. It is not happening so I am hoping for the Prescott fight or a European title fight this May."

Despite accusations that he is easy to hit, Murray insists there is no prospect of Prescott beating him in a similar manner to his one-round demolition of Khan.

“Styles make fights and the way Khan boxed was ideal for Prescott. Khan was at range right where Prescott’s power lies," Murray said. "Khan being vulnerable around the chin area meant that he was always going to get a punch to the chin that he could not come back from.

“I feel that my style is suited to giving Prescott trouble. I think I can get in close and work him over to win the fight down the stretch. Prescott is a power puncher, he is sharp and he will bring out the best in me. This is the type of fight I want."

Another fight Murray may be able to look forward to before the end of the year is a meeting with Jon Thaxton who he will watch defend his European title on Saturday night.

“These are the types of fights I want," Murray said. "I have only just become British champion but have been around British level for longer than I would have liked. It took me this long to become British champion but now I am here I want to move onto the next level, and the next level is Jon Thaxton.

"I will be there on Saturday looking at Jon Thaxton and hoping that I can fight him in May to get to that next level, or Prescott if he is available.

"I had breaks in the past and enjoyed them but this one has been different. I wanted to just get back into the gym and get ready for a fight.

"Let me do what I can do. Let’s try and push it through the roof. My opponents aren’t hurting me, inactivity is hurting me.

"Ricky Hatton built up a fan base in Manchester by getting out every two or three months. That made him bigger and bigger. All of a sudden you are selling tickets and I think that is what could be done with me.

"People think a boxer makes a lot of money, but I cannot afford to pay out everything I owe because it would leave me with about a grand in the bank, and nearly half a year until my next fight.

“It has got me to the point where I wonder if I should just go out and get a proper job. I want to be a full time boxer to stay in championship class but as much as I love the game I need to live as well."

Murray has the nearby example of Salford's Jamie Moore, who had to wait years for a European title shot which he will get next Friday. Murray feels his promoter Mick Hennessy has to get him big fights in the next three years if he is not to suffer similar frustration.

"I have seen people wait for the European title," Murray added. "I don’t want that two-year wait. I feel that I came into boxing for a life changing opportunity, and that I am good enough to win those life-changing fights.

“My style is a young man’s style. These are my best fighting years, so I should be fighting during them. You have got to make hay while the sun shines with this style. I want to make a name for myself and make some decent money over the next three years.

"I want to make that life changing money, or at least put myself into position for it. If I am going to do anything in boxing I need to do it over the next three years.

“Mick did a good getting me to this point, but it is like he can get you to a certain place and then puts you on a shelf. I think he is working on something so I will see what he has got for me.”

I totally agree a guy who is still learning the trade in many respects fighting every six months should be for when you are fighting the best of the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: John Murray worried about lack of fights coming his way

I think this is where Frank Warren is great as a promoter he keeps his young prodigys nice and busy, Murray sounds like hes getting very peeed off with the game. Murray likes a challenge and is best prepared when he is up against it.

Theres not alot about at domectic level apart from Thaxton and Kahn.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should get with Warren, the fact is that reptilian fucker will push him to bigger fights, unless he's able to get a shot at Mezaache now Thaxton lost. Not sure whether he wants any piece of Prescott though that could turn out badly for him. He could maybe get a fight with Thaxton but that looks some way off as I reckon Thaxton's out for awhile after last night. He should otherwise get with Warren to fastrack him to a world title through Warren's usual 'economical' route

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

amirkhan should just fight dis guy hes called his naem out enough times and its funny because amir khan would probly beat him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sick of boxers not fighting regularly, why doesnt that Mongolian fella Choi whats his name, who kod Matthews not fight more?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by richard (mossley) View Post
    Sick of boxers not fighting regularly, why doesnt that Mongolian fella Choi whats his name, who kod Matthews not fight more?
    I can't see many wanting to fight him....not domestically anyway. He falls into the extremely dangerous yet extremely un-marketable category. Bit like Junior Witter except he was just un-marketable.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by dee_z_r View Post
    amirkhan should just fight dis guy hes called his naem out enough times and its funny because amir khan would probly beat him
    Init Bled

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Murray would give Khan a real hard time. It's a shame he can't get any fights, I'd like to see him more regular so I can get a better look at him!

Thread Information