Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mayweather's weaknesses

I've always watched for his strong points but can anyone tell what his weakenesses are? He hides them sooo good. And none of the 39 fighters he fought have figured it out (Castillo in the first fight hit a bit of it, and Floyd hid the rest of it)? If you were to fight Mayweather? What would be your gameplan? It doesn't seem like he has a problem with any style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather's weaknesses

He's changed since the Castillo fight, he clinches and ties up opponents more.

I think his biggest weaknesses include
    1. low output: Like Roy Jones Jr. he is so hard to hit that he can usually win a round throwing 40 punches, but sometimes that plays against him like when he fought Oscar De La Hoya, he would land more punches, but throw half as many, and people often see punches landed, so from a scoring stand point he can get shafted at times.
    2. Southpaws: He has always looked a lot worse against southpaws, he comes forwards against them, he squares up, and he gets hit twice as much, its surprising such a good boxer and athlete has so many troubles with southpaws.
    3. Combinations: He used to be a really good combination puncher at 130, but now we rarely see Floyd do anything but potshot, I don't get it, I think he could benefit from throwing more combinations because he is so good at doing it, but even as good as he is, he doesn't have those fluid combinations Mosley, Roy JOnes Jr, M. Taylor, and Leonard had, his combinations are more thought out, and that might be why.
    4. He can be too defensive: He used to be an excellent counter puncher when he was at 130/135 and especially leaning back and countering over the jab, but he doesn't do things like that anymore, he is so focused on defense that he will evade a punch and either go into his defensive shell to avoid oncoming punches, or he will tie the guy up, I miss him being more of a counterpuncher.
    5. he is redundant: kind of like Leonard, they tend to do the same things over and over again, but at least Leonard could throw combinations and would mix it up. Mayweather is great at what he does, but its one punch at a time with great defense, he doesn't usually change up the tempo or throw unique combinations like Roy Jones Jr was famous for. His style doesn't really use angles.
    6. A lot less lateral movement: I've noticed against Hatton and De La Hoya, Mayweather was hardly using lateral movement anymore, he is so comfortable off the ropes that he neglects to keep himself off of them. This once again looks bad to judges because he isn't using ring generalship. I think if he doesn't use a lot more lateral movement against guys like Pacquiao or Shane MOsley he will be in big trouble.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shit if I know a good gameplan to beat Mayweather I'd be morre in demand as a trainer than Manny Steward, Roach and Floyd Sr combined.

When these virtuoso's come around, like Roy Jones, guys who don't always go by the book and do things they're own way, people criticize them. People always shit on Jones for not using a jab, and later on in his career for pot shotting and not throwing combos. But the fact is, it worked wonders for him. Jones was never really bested until 15 years or so into his career. And obviously Floyd's style has worked wonders for him, he's gone 39-0 against solid opposition.

So as fans we can try to nitpick the styles or behaviour of these guys, but in the end these virtuosos know what they're doing a hell of a lot better than we do.

As far as Floyd's flaws go, the only thing I can think of is his personality. If he had played his cards right, he probably could be near Sugar Ray Leonard popularity.

But I mean in the ring, the guy has everything. Heart, a chin, physical gifts, boxing skill/knowledge, work ethic, stamina. He is probably one of the least flawed fighters in boxing history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

arrogance
    over confidence
    not much going on upstairs
    bad dress sense
    bad relations with other family members

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    arrogance
    over confidence
    bad dress sense

But he is friend to ring posts around the world
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His only weakness is greed and the love of money. That will be eventually be the only thing that get's him beat. In the ring he'll just get a bunch of people's hopes up, a bunch of reaches at why he has a chance of loosing that sound good in theory, he'll get in there win and we'll start all over again. It's when he fights too long or doesn't focus on the fight at hand when you will see a totally different guy in the ring and yes..for all the floyd haters he will loose, not anytime soon or by any of these current so called threats though. One week it's cotto next tony then hatton, pac, marquez blah blah blah, i for one ain't fallin for floyd's bs 24/7 crap .......when the guy in the fight himself comes up with a show to help convince us he just might loose anyhow he's tricked me enough times already, this guy aint loosing every guy who has a great fight anywhere near his weight class is automatically the new "floyd slayer" the david might be out there somewhere but i'm not holding my breathe.
    Last edited by Mar; 03-09-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everybody has their weaknesses in the ring, EVERYONE, Floyd is no different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Everybody has their weaknesses in the ring, EVERYONE, Floyd is no different.
    You should watch the Castillo fight. He did pretty good against him.
    Lifes a wheel of fortune and its my turn to spin it. -Tupac Shakur

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Judah was actually owning him in first half of the rounds. If only Judah kept his mouth shut and concentrated boxing more, then he would've won atleast by a decision.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He is not good at leading off, but good at countering. Yet everyone I see plays his game, having said that, thats why they are picked
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Teja View Post
    Judah was actually owning him in first half of the rounds. If only Judah kept his mouth shut and concentrated boxing more, then he would've won atleast by a decision.
    Judah won 3 of the first four round, but like I said Mayweather isn't the best against southpaws, and that was the fastest, and sharpest Judah I've ever seen. I never could understand why Mayweather always insists on coming forward against southpaws, I would like to see him try to box normally against them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    arrogance
    over confidence
    bad dress sense

But he is friend to ring posts around the world

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a good jab in my opinion is the one thing that floyd is susepatble too, De La Hoya proved this to a certain extent early in the fight but then gave up with it,

this is why i think cotto would give him alot of problems,

that and anyone whos as quick if not quicker than he is which isnt many people, zab had him sussed just too bad he has the attention span of a 6 year old

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good post Taeth, agreed except with the southpaw thing. Though not great with them, he is not as bad as you made him sound. Otherwise, very good. I asked this question because I've been watching Mayweather so much and my style has been copying him. I thought that despite being one of boxing's greats he definitely has his weaknesses which he hides so well. I thought that I shouldn't be copying these so I wanted to better know and understand Floyd's style so that I can copy the strong points and not the weak ones. thnx guys, I realize Im having those exact same problems

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    He's changed since the Castillo fight, he clinches and ties up opponents more.

I think his biggest weaknesses include
    1. low output: Like Roy Jones Jr. he is so hard to hit that he can usually win a round throwing 40 punches, but sometimes that plays against him like when he fought Oscar De La Hoya, he would land more punches, but throw half as many, and people often see punches landed, so from a scoring stand point he can get shafted at times.
    2. Southpaws: He has always looked a lot worse against southpaws, he comes forwards against them, he squares up, and he gets hit twice as much, its surprising such a good boxer and athlete has so many troubles with southpaws.
    3. Combinations: He used to be a really good combination puncher at 130, but now we rarely see Floyd do anything but potshot, I don't get it, I think he could benefit from throwing more combinations because he is so good at doing it, but even as good as he is, he doesn't have those fluid combinations Mosley, Roy JOnes Jr, M. Taylor, and Leonard had, his combinations are more thought out, and that might be why.
    4. He can be too defensive: He used to be an excellent counter puncher when he was at 130/135 and especially leaning back and countering over the jab, but he doesn't do things like that anymore, he is so focused on defense that he will evade a punch and either go into his defensive shell to avoid oncoming punches, or he will tie the guy up, I miss him being more of a counterpuncher.
    5. he is redundant: kind of like Leonard, they tend to do the same things over and over again, but at least Leonard could throw combinations and would mix it up. Mayweather is great at what he does, but its one punch at a time with great defense, he doesn't usually change up the tempo or throw unique combinations like Roy Jones Jr was famous for. His style doesn't really use angles.
    6. A lot less lateral movement: I've noticed against Hatton and De La Hoya, Mayweather was hardly using lateral movement anymore, he is so comfortable off the ropes that he neglects to keep himself off of them. This once again looks bad to judges because he isn't using ring generalship. I think if he doesn't use a lot more lateral movement against guys like Pacquiao or Shane MOsley he will be in big trouble.
    I'm sure he could benefit from it. But I doubt his hands could take it. Mayweather potshots cuz he's been forced to potshot.

Thread Information