Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How to best throw a left hook to the body?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How to best throw a left hook to the body?

Hey, I've always had trouble throwing a decent left hook to the body, whenever I do it I just feel like I've got no power in the shot. I feel this very slightly with shots to head, but I've visibly seen those shots hurt people, but much more so when I go to the body.

What advice can you give on how best to throw the shot, the angle of my body, how to cover up best whilst doing it etc etc?

Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to best throw a left hook to the body?

well without seeing what you are doing it's pretty hard to see if there's anything technical that needs tweaking or if you just think what you're doing is weak.

I assume you're orthodox?

From your regular stance step out slightly across & forward with your left foot. This should give you room to throw your hook and move you round the guys lead arm and/or rear elbow.

Try throwing it at an angle, not a flat across hook and not an uppercut. Think of sending that punch up under his rib cage and not across his belly.
    Your whole body twists with it.
    I find I can generate more power by throwing shovel hooks than flat hooks and find them easier to land for some reason.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post
    well without seeing what you are doing it's pretty hard to see if there's anything technical that needs tweaking or if you just think what you're doing is weak.

I assume you're orthodox?

From your regular stance step out slightly across & forward with your left foot. This should give you room to throw your hook and move you round the guys lead arm and/or rear elbow.

Try throwing it at an angle, not a flat across hook and not an uppercut. Think of sending that punch up under his rib cage and not across his belly.
    Your whole body twists with it.
    I find I can generate more power by throwing shovel hooks than flat hooks and find them easier to land for some reason.
    Yeah, I am orthodox. I'll try what you've said about moving my feet. I think too often I just throw the hook with my feet the same as if I was throwing a jab or hook to the head. I'll give it a go next time. Would rep ya Missy but I have some spreading to do apparently

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like Missy said it's hard to know what you're doing wrong but if I had to guess I'd so it's probably to do with where you're throwing from.

Try taking a step to the left. You need to be in a different position than you would to throw a right hook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hmm.. are you pivoting on the ball of your front foot? keeping yoru arm bent? twisting your hips and shoulders? and most importantly changing levels so you can really lift up the shovel hook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your not cocking your hip,but Im betting you are cocking your hand past your center of balance

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Jaz,
    You asked:
    What advice can you give on how best to throw the shot, the angle of my body, how to cover up best whilst doing it etc etc?
    Well, let's see if I can help you out a bit...

Left (Shovel) Hook to the body (specifically to the liver):
    1. From your on-guard stance (or off of a preceding lead or rear hand punch to the head), take a small 45-degree angled step to the left with your lead left foot, planting down on the ball-of-your-left foot.

2. As you do so, transfer approximately 90 percent of your weight over your lead left ball-of-foot as you angulate your upper body to the left at 11:00 o'clock which will position your lead left shoulder slightly behind your left knee and slightly in front of your left foot (i.e. your left shoulder will be directly over your left calf area). While doing this, your left hip will also be very slightly behind your left knee.

3. As you are doing #2, simultaneously pivot your left ball-of-foot in a clockwise direction (i.e. to the right).

4. As you are doing #3, simultaneously "shoot" your left hook in a 45-degree upward-diagonal trajectory, "powered" with a clockwise "hip-whip" rotation and left shoulder drive like if you were shoveling dirt but in piston-like fashion. By the way, to clarify in your mind's eye, the "hip-whip" rotation is analogous to swinging a baseball bat as fast as you can or throwing a baseball as far as you can.

NOTE: this is the big difference between throwing a left hook to the head as opposed to the body. With a head shot, the hook punch's trajectory is basically horizontal while when targeting the body, the trajectory is, as mentioned, executed in an upward-diagonal trajectory.

5. Your left clenched fist should be positioned in an outward 45-degree angle (i.e. you should be able to see the palm of your left fist roughly at a 45-degree angled position in relationship to the ground your standing on).

6. The prime target of a left (shovel) hook is the liver, which is basically situated at floating ribs level, almost directly underneath the right nipple.

7. To get the most out of your impact, "snap" it in like a piston then immediately retract your punch, imparting all the force you've generated into your opponent with no power leakage.

9. Retract your left hand back to your on-guard position (i.e. left fist to cheek).

10. While you are doing #1 to #9, be sure you have your right hand up by your cheek (covering the right side of your face), your right elbow tucked tightly against your right ribcage, and your chin tucked.

11. Depending on the position of your opponent's right arm (specifically, his right elbow), you can "shoot" your body hook in a tight "linear" trajectory as described above OR "loop" it around in a wider "C-trajectory."

12. As with all boxing-based punches, be sure your punching-side elbow is in line behind your punching fist when executing your body hook. This is very important.

13. Be sure to EXHALE in a short, sharp manner upon EXECUTION/EXERTION of your punch. This is very, very important.

14. Ok, last but definitely not least, as with all punches, STRIKE with VIOLENT INTENT. This is very, very, very important.

Well, I think that basically covers it. If I think of anything else to constructively add, I'll do so in subsequent posts.

If anything is unclear to you, please let me know and I'll do my best to clarify it.

Anyway, take care and good luck with your training...

Best Regards,
    Lito

P.S. Remember, practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect.
    Last edited by StrictlySP; 03-14-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Thread Information