Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Refs who stop fights to early : The most annoying thing in boxing ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Refs who stop fights to early : The most annoying thing in boxing ?

Maybe it's just a British thing but I'm sick of this. I just watched the Nicky Cook - Roman Martinez fight on the Amir Khan - Marco Antonio Barrera bill. Here was a world champion (Nicky Cook) defending his title for the 1st time on home soil. He gets knocked down (Not particularly heavily) twice yet the British referee, as per usual, panics and stops the fight after the 2nd knockdown. Watch the round again yourself and see if you agree with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuougNWrWWE
    This is boxing !! It's not a tickling contest (Ricky Hatton 05). In fact it's not just here in the UK. I have seen a few examples in states, the most famous, the Kostya Tszyu Vs Zab Judah fight. A fighter should be given every chance, it only takes a while before a boxer clears his hand.

I remember the Manny Pacquiao - Juan Manuel Marquez fight. Marquez gets knocked down THREE times in the first round, BUT ref Joe Cortez lets it continue, Marquez recovers and goes on to give Pacquiao the closest fight of his life, earning a draw (Most people though he won) if that same fight was fought in the UK, the UK ref would have stopped it by the second knock down. I just think referees should think more, fighters get knocked down all the time in sparring sessions, they don't say “That's it, no more sparring today” they just pick themselves up and carry on. These referees just spoil boxing.
    Last edited by denilson200; 03-15-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Refs who stop fights to early : The most annoying thing in boxing ?

Yeah... the nerve of that ref in stopping the Martinez-Cook fight. Especially when Cook bounced right up from those grazing shots. Hey, it's not like Cook's head actually came off his shoulders or anything like that. Geez... where do they GET these refs anyway, huh?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have only seen the last round but he was clearly finished.I dont think it was the initial KDs,the 1st was brutal...but Cooks inability to gather his legs and 'self'.Technically he beat the count,all guts,big heart.....But I'd much rather too soon (dont think it was really) as opposed the too late.No need to see more tragedys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd rather see warriors join their family at home after brave performance, than see them in the morgue.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Too early?
    Cooks relatively young and there's no need to let him go on and continue to get hammered.
    He was done.

Your JMM comparison does not work and here's why.
    JMM at NOT point did he look groggy or out of it.

knockdown#1 JMM get's up at the count of 2.
    knockdown#2 JMM get's up at the count of 2.
    knockdown#3 JMM get's up at the count of 8.
    (I'm certain JMM could have gotten up sooner but he was leying there just thinking to himself... Ohhh! shit I better get it together)

So you see the knockdowns JMM suffered were not as brutal and devastating as Cookies.

You said and I quote:
    "He gets knocked down (Not particularly heavily) twice"

Watch knockdown#1 and notice how he's trying to get up by holding on the rope and notice his RIGHT leg kicking a bit trying to get it to go but it wouldn't which is why it took him until the count of 9 to get up.

For knockdown#2 he goes in dive mode and almost lands face 1st on the canvas but his forearms hold him from that. He beats the count but you can see he's hurt. To let him continue would be like to tie his hands up and let Martinez take free shots.

I just think it would have been useless to let him continue and yes this is boxing BUT a boxers safety comes 1st and he'll be fine. He goes home losing the title and nothing more which he should be thankful for.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Yeah... the nerve of that ref in stopping the Martinez-Cook fight. Especially when Cook bounced right up from those grazing shots. Hey, it's not like Cook's head actually came off his shoulders or anything like that. Geez... where do they GET these refs anyway, huh?
    By the way, just so I don't get misunderstood by those who don't know me... I forgot to add one thing to the post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You think the Zab Judah fight was a quick stoppage?

Zab was stumbling around the ring..... and went down twice from the one punch....

The knockdowns in Pac/JMM werent the same, JMM went down but he got up and didnt have a blank look on his face or rubbery legs...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just watched, I dont think that was a quick stoppage...Cook looked pretty hurt........

I agree - I cant stand quick stoppages (like Calzaghe/Manfredo).......This was an okay stoppage in my book....

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Come on now.. those were two heavy knockdowns. He struggled to get up both times.

Thank fuck we didn't see the oxygen mask in there.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

Maybe it's just a British thing but I'm sick of this. I just watched the Nicky Cook - Roman Martinez fight on the Amir Khan - Marco Antonio Barrera bill. Here was a world champion (Nicky Cook) defending his title for the 1st time on home soil. He gets knocked down (Not particularly heavily) twice yet the British referee, as per usual, panics and stops the fight after the 2nd knockdown. Watch the round again yourself and see if you agree with me.
    So far you seem to be all alone in your outrageously off-base opinion. Cook himself would probably laugh at you.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cook was gone, he struggled up both times, just making the count, and although there was limited time left, another punch could seriously have hurt him.

The Zab Judah fight is an atrocious example, because the second he fell back down he lost the fight. If you get to your feet and fall back down you've lost the fight. That's why people always recommend taking your time getting back up, and why often guys wait till 8 even if they don't really need to.

As for the JMM thing, I refer you back up to CutMeMick's post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Cook was gone, he struggled up both times, just making the count, and although there was limited time left, another punch could seriously have hurt him.

The Zab Judah fight is an atrocious example, because the second he fell back down he lost the fight. If you get to your feet and fall back down you've lost the fight. That's why people always recommend taking your time getting back up, and why often guys wait till 8 even if they don't really need to.

As for the JMM thing, I refer you back up to CutMeMick's post

I agree - If Zab would have kept his cool and collected himself he may have been able to get up before the 10 count (and I say May)....Instead he jumped up, did the chicken dance and fell back down.....What could the ref do??

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it was a justified stoppage, this was no Ortiz/Arnaoutis, and if you're honestly trying to make Cortez out to be a great ref all i gotta say is Humberto Soto Vs. Francisco Lorenzo I

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry mate, he was gone. Cook would have only been hurt again in the next round, his legs were all over the place. He can fight another day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuougNWrWWE
    This is boxing !! It's not a tickling contest (Ricky Hatton 05). In fact it's not just here in the UK. I have seen a few examples in states, the most famous, the Kostya Tszyu Vs Zab Judah fight. A fighter should be given every chance, it only takes a while before a boxer clears his hand.

I remember the Manny Pacquiao - Juan Manuel Marquez fight. Marquez gets knocked down THREE times in the first round, BUT ref Joe Cortez lets it continue, Marquez recovers and goes on to give Pacquiao the closest fight of his life, earning a draw (Most people though he won) if that same fight was fought in the UK, the UK ref would have stopped it by the second knock down. I just think referees should think more, fighters get knocked down all the time in sparring sessions, they don't say “That's it, no more sparring today” they just pick themselves up and carry on. These referees just spoil boxing.
    I have said this before, Zab Judah should thank Jay Nady for saving his life that night and pro longing his career, as it is Judah has never fully recovered from that fight and has never been the same since.

Thread Information