Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAZEEM RICHARDSON ON HOW MARGARITO "LOADED HIS GLOVES" With Pedro Fernandez audio

Share/Bookmark
    SigmaMu Guest

Smile NAZEEM RICHARDSON ON HOW MARGARITO "LOADED HIS GLOVES" With Pedro Fernandez audio

Here is the new audio interview by Pedro Fernandez with Nazim Richardson.

YouTube - Nazim Richardson On Margarito

Here is the transcript for those who enjoy reading.

NAZEEM RICHARDSON ON HOW MARGARITO "LOADED HIS GLOVES"
    16 March, 2009 by Ring Talk News

TRAINER DETAILS CHEATING ON "RING TALK RADIO"

San Francisco, CA- There have been a lot of writing about the fact Antonio Margarito was caught “loading his gloves” (as we call it in boxing) by Shane Mosley’s trainer Nazeem Richardson. The man who put together the strategy that took Margarito down and eventually out, Nazeem has been the guy that I’ve wanted to talk to. Appearing last night (Sunday 3-15-09) on “Ring Talk Radio,” the longest running fight show in history hosted by Pedro Fernandez, Mr. Richardson laid to rest any doubts of Antonio Margarito being a victim of some rush to judgment as he told the story of the “loaded gloves.” This exclusive interview is itself an indictment of the “lunatic fringe” that have come out and defended the Mexican.

INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT WITH NAZEEM HERE & NOW!

RT- On the line from Philadelphia is one of the more prominent players in the sport of boxing. He’s been under the radar, but lately he’s been above the radar as his guys have been pulling off big wins. Bernard Hopkins upsetting Kelly Pavlik. Then he followed that up with Shane Mosley, he beat on Antonio Margarito so bad he should have been arrested for Domestic Violence, it was such a beat down! Nazeem Richardson, how are you tonight sir? NR-I’m holding on with both hands man. How you doing out there?

RT-Fine, how is life in Philly? Do they have any fights at the Spectrum anymore? Is it torn down? NR-No, they’re not doing a lot of fights at the Spectrum anymore. There’s a new place called “the Arena.”

RT- I’ve wanted to get you on the show, and what people have wanted me to talk to you about, and I’m sure you’ve told the story 1,000 times, much like that guy that landed that plane in the Hudson River. What happened the night that you went into Antonio Margarito’s dressing room to watch his hands get wrapped? Can you take us through that? NZ- What happened when they refer to rewrapping his hands three times, that was because of the amount of tape he put on his skin, before any gauze or anything. He was wrapping an enormous amount of tape directly on his skin, on his hands, around his thumb and down his wrist. I told him based on the rules of California that it was illegal. They wanted to jump behind (chuckle) that he had a previous injury. And I was like, but that has nothing to do with the rules man. Finally, that’s how the Commissioner was called into the room.

RT-What about this plaster of Paris, or this powder they put on the hand wraps? When did all of this come into play? NZ-Some of that was people trying to take this in another direction. What happened was he had cushions that he put on his knuckles as they’re wrapping his hands. They had this on one hand already. The Commissioner checked him, but I didn’t see them (wrap the first hand). So, I asked them, I want to check that cushion. And they allowed me to check the cushion and I said, this is pretty hard. So, I asked the Deputy Commissioner to feel it, I said this is hard. He said it, "Feels alright to me." Well I said it doesn’t feel right to me. So I went to the Commissioner, he came in and checked it and said, "It’s pretty hard." Then they peeled it open and down the middle he had a square block of old gauze wrapped with plaster on it. When I took it out and let the Dr. see it he said, “This is the same stuff we use in hospitals to make casts.”

RT-Right then and there, he probably should have been arrested by the Police, let alone be allowed to go out and fight. Don’t you think? NZ-I told them I want the other hand unwrapped. They (Commission) said, “We approved this hand already. I said, so we’re supposed to wait until the fight is over and we check the hand and find out what’s on it? So the Commissioner says, “You’re right,” and they unwrapped the other hand and found another block. I refused to give the blocks to the Commissioner, I called Shane Mosley’s lawyer (Judd Burstein). So, his lawyer came over and I gave them to his lawyer because I didn’t know what the procedure was then, but I felt the same way (that the Police should have been called). I said, this sport of ours is dangerous enough when you follow the rules. Go outside the rules and it can be fatal.

RT- These blocks you’ve described, did they lead to the busting up of Miguel Cotto? Because Cotto in the first four or five rounds, he was doing OK. But then once he started getting hit, he got busted up, like instantly. NR-I looked at that myself and I couldn’t call it cause I don’t know for sure if he had them (the blocks) then, so we can only speculate. The way they’re in the padding, the impact on the gloves as the rounds go on would get you closer to the plaster. So, later you might be punching harder than you were actually punching earlier. So that (Cotto being a victim) maybe the case, but I don’t know, can’t say it for sure. People don’t realize this is a black eye on boxing. We’re all under the same umbrella, all from the same fraternity. I hate to see anything negative like this come to boxing, me being a part of boxing myself.

RT- Thank God you were astute enough to figure this out, because Shane might have taken a horrific pounding from these hand wraps. Although, I tell you the way Shane boxed Margarito that night he (Margarito) could have worn hand wraps and not hit Shane in the ass even if he had a ping pong paddle, he just couldn’t do it. Shane took him right of his game plan from the get-go. Was it that body shot in the first round that sort of told Margarito you’re in trouble tonight? NZ- Well, I don’t know if that set the tone, I know I had the athlete prepared. And my thing was, I told Shane coming into the camp that the people that doubt us we can’t do anything about. My goal in this camp, when we finish this project, is that the people that thought we were going to win the fight, I want them to be shocked by the way you win this fight. So the game plan we had was that I felt I was going to draw up a game plan where as though I’d had an average guy off the street, I could have gave Margarito some problems. I figured if I had an exceptional guy like Shane, all intentions were to knock Margarito out.

RT-Is Shane and Cotto II in the future or what? NR-Shane is interested in Cotto, but in my opinion, I’d like to see him and Manny Pacquiao was victorious in the Ricky Hatton fight. I’d like to see Shane and Pacquiao. I feel Shane has earned the super fights.

RT-I agree. NZ- What I went through with Margarito, when they started hooting and hollering in the dressing room, I did the same thing before with (Tito) Trinidad. I raise a lot of my sons and nephews in this sport, so I got that kind of fatherly figure. I’ve got to protect them at all costs.
    Last edited by SigmaMu; 03-17-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: NAZEEM RICHARDSON ON HOW MARGARITO "LOADED HIS GLOVES" With Pedro Fernandez audio

Ring Talk? I don't need no stinkin Ring Talk.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: NAZEEM RICHARDSON ON HOW MARGARITO "LOADED HIS GLOVES" With Pedro Fernandez audio

Yeah Margarito beat that Cotto ass. That's a fact. Humilated him. That's a fact. Danny can't get over it. More fact.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    Yeah Margarito beat that Cotto ass. That's a fact. Humilated him. That's a fact. Danny can't get over it. More fact.
    Why should anyone get over what Margacheato has done? Honestly. The man is a disgrace to this sport.

And I'm not saying this because I'm a Cotto fan, if you go and look at any of my posts before this came out, you'll see that I was a Margarito fan as well, but I cannot, and will not, excuse or support a man that has no regard for human life.

Nice to know that you don't care about the damage that Margacheato could have done to Mosley, and what he DID do to Cotto.

He could have ended their careers. They could have ended up like Oscar Diaz or Victor Burgos, or even worse, he could have killed them.

Would that make you happy?

It's nice to know that you idolize a guy that cheats, and has no respect for this sport.

Oh, and let's put you in a ring with a guy that has loaded wraps, and see how well you do, and how long you last in there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Why should anyone get over what Margacheato has done? Honestly. The man is a disgrace to this sport.

And I'm not saying this because I'm a Cotto fan, if you go and look at any of my posts before this came out, you'll see that I was a Margarito fan as well, but I cannot, and will not, excuse or support a man that has no regard for human life.

Nice to know that you don't care about the damage that Margacheato could have done to Mosley, and what he DID do to Cotto.

He could have ended their careers. They could have ended up like Oscar Diaz or Victor Burgos, or even worse, he could have killed them.

It's nice to know that you idolize a guy that cheats, and has no respect for this sport.

Oh, and let's put you in a ring with a guy that has loaded wraps, and see how well you do, and how long you last in there.

Yeah but there's no proof he used loaded wraps against Cotto. Considering the boxing commissions in the area I think they may have caught him there. I'm glad it was caught before the Shane Mosley fight.

But Cotto has only himself to blame for the loss to Margarito. He was boxing beautifully and not getting tagged and putting rounds in the bank. It was his mistake and his decision to decide to stand and trade punches with him. IF he'd kept boxing he would have won.

We don't know if Margarito's gloves were loaded in that fight btu if Cotto had kept doing what he did, it wouldn't have mattered because Marga wouldnt have landed much anyway. Cotto gave him that chance and paid for it.

But I'd like to see a rematch. Cotto can win that one if he has learned from the mistakes. And if Margarito has no gloves
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

SigmaMu Guest

Now, now bozoboxer calm down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cmon...guys , what Danny brought here in this post isn't exactly to put excuses that Margacheato used that plaster in the fight with Cotto , is simply to know what NR said , probably some of you are not a Cotto fans , but that isn't the issue , the thing is that we as a fan cant accept this act from any boxer , I'm glad that NR could noticed this before the fight ........probably who know what would happen to SSM if this Margacheato would used that S***.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really like Margarito i really do but im gutted this has happened it really does tarnish his win over Cotto thing is how long has he been doing this its such a shame for the sport and the fans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonbruno View Post
    I really like Margarito i really do but im gutted this has happened it really does tarnish his win over Cotto thing is how long has he been doing this its such a shame for the sport and the fans.
    yep its a black eye for the sport regardless.

But it can all be fixed in a rematch between the two of them.

If Margarito rematches Cotto and is watched and no plaster or etc and wins, then thats pretty much it for questions on THAT win. And maybe for Cotto in general.

However if they rematch, I don't expect Margarito to win that time around, because plaster or no plaster Margarito won that fight because Cotto decided to try to outslug him after he'd boxed him so well up until that point. So in a rematch he'd probably box a lot more.

One things for sure, if Margarito saw that mock interview with Cotto he is probably pissed beyond belief. So its a pretty good set up for the rematch.

But Cotto is not a PPV Draw. So for the next year Cotto should be fighting on HBO. Against who is still up in the air.

I've always wanted to see Hatton vs Cotto ever since they were both at 140. But it looks like it will never happen. So I guess a rematch with Shane, but then again Shane is looking towards Pacquiao after the hatton fight apparently. So, I guess he'll have to fight a mandatory or he'll have to fight someone ranked.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Macho View Post
    Cmon...guys , what Danny brought here in this post isn't exactly to put excuses that Margacheato used that plaster in the fight with Cotto , is simply to know what NR said , probably some of you are not a Cotto fans , but that isn't the issue , the thing is that we as a fan cant accept this act from any boxer , I'm glad that NR could noticed this before the fight ........probably who know what would happen to SSM if this Margacheato would used that S***.........

It is exactly to put excuses about the Cotto/Margarito fight. If it wasn't he wouldn't have put it on here. I am thankful that I don't have such a singleminded fucking retard outlook on a topic.
    Last edited by boozeboxer; 03-17-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: yes thats right I think you are a bitch.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post

Yeah but there's no proof he used loaded wraps against Cotto. Considering the boxing commissions in the area I think they may have caught him there. I'm glad it was caught before the Shane Mosley fight.

But Cotto has only himself to blame for the loss to Margarito. He was boxing beautifully and not getting tagged and putting rounds in the bank. It was his mistake and his decision to decide to stand and trade punches with him. IF he'd kept boxing he would have won.

We don't know if Margarito's gloves were loaded in that fight btu if Cotto had kept doing what he did, it wouldn't have mattered because Marga wouldnt have landed much anyway. Cotto gave him that chance and paid for it.

But I'd like to see a rematch. Cotto can win that one if he has learned from the mistakes. And if Margarito has no gloves
    No, I don’t like to see a rematch; in fact I don’t want to see him again in the ring;
    and yes, there is no proof but we know for sure he cheated against Cotto and even before that: why a fighter who was clean and honest all his career (he’s 35 or 36 I think), who was able to climb on the highest mountain, to become the best fighter of the best division without cheating, decided to pass on the dark side, to turn in a cheater?
    Or like another poster said before: Why somebody who was able to demolishes the undefeated Cotto, the WW champion, in his prime, needed to cheat against one of his victim? (I’m sorry I don’t remember who said it first)
    For me it doesn’t make any sense that somebody who builds such a career to take the risk to ruin it.
    Maybe in a court this is not a proof, but we aren’t in a curt but in a boxing forum, we aren’t judges we are boxing fans; to believe he was innocent until Mosley fight is just naiveté.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can assume Margarito has cheated since he lost to Paul Williams..

Cotto would beat Tony down in a fair fight similar to what Mosley did.....It took Margarito until round 11 to wear Cotto down with loaded gloves.

Tony is a piece of crap that shouldnt be allowed to fight again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everybody seeks an edge,but there's a reasonable limit
    That passed and jumped off the edge like a lemming in the herd

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And to think only a few months ago people were saying Magarito would destroy Mayweather. To me, his reputation is ruined forever NO MATTER WHAT HE DOES. All his victories mean NOTHING. Besides I have NEVER rated him, even after he beat Cotto, I STILL didn't rate him, he took a beating by Cotto, but just wouldn't go away and wore him down with bricks in his fists.He'll come back, but you watch what Cotto does to him in a fair fight. He's a talentless bum and it was good to Mosley teach him a lesson.

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post
    And to think only a few months ago people were saying Magarito would destroy Mayweather. To me, his reputation is ruined forever NO MATTER WHAT HE DOES. All his victories mean NOTHING. Besides I have NEVER rated him, even after he beat Cotto, I STILL didn't rate him, he took a beating by Cotto, but just wouldn't go away and wore him down with bricks in his fists.He'll come back, but you watch what Cotto does to him in a fair fight. He's a talentless bum and it was good to Mosley teach him a lesson.
    I was sure that Tony would beat PBF but now that he has been caught cheating, I don't think Tony would ever lay a glove on PBF with out his plaster Tony is what everyone was telling me he is. Slow and no defense, human punching bag. I guess the plaster is what made Tony such a bad arse. I will give Tony credit for being able to take a lot of punches but that is not really a good thing IMO. If he continues in this fashion now, he wont have a decent working brain cell left to tie his own shoes.

Thread Information