Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Overrated bands.

I'm gonna cast my vote for Led Zeppelin. Their first four or five albums were OK, cause Page could work his magic in the studio, but god most of their live stuff is absolute shit. Sloppy as hell. Plant with his lame pretentious vocal warblings, and Page out of the studio was certainly nothing special. But people, especially the local classic rock station, treat them like they are gods.

btw did y'all see Page closing out the Olympics last year with Whole Lotta Love. LOL he was just waving his arms, I'm sure his guitar wasn't turned on. He stopped to wipe the sweat from his brow but the riff went on. They stole that tune from Willie Dixon by the way.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Overrated bands.

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    I'm gonna cast my vote for Led Zeppelin. Their first four or five albums were OK, cause Page could work his magic in the studio, but god most of their live stuff is absolute shit. Sloppy as hell. Plant with his lame pretentious vocal warblings, and Page out of the studio was certainly nothing special. But people, especially the local classic rock station, treat them like they are gods.

btw did y'all see Page closing out the Olympics last year with Whole Lotta Love. LOL he was just waving his arms, I'm sure his guitar wasn't turned on. He stopped to wipe the sweat from his brow but the riff went on. They stole that tune from Willie Dixon by the way.
    That was the first band that sprung to mind when I read the thread title. I came in here expecting to be the only person to nominate Zepplin and to get ripped for it. They were a very good rock band. That's it. They did nothing to deserve the rock-gods status which has been ascribed to them. This guy at my school tried to tell me that they were better and more influential than the Beatles. Were it socially acceptable I would have challenged him to a duel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

That was the first band that sprung to mind when I read the thread title. I came in here expecting to be the only person to nominate Zepplin and to get ripped for it. They were a very good rock band. That's it. They did nothing to deserve the rock-gods status which has been ascribed to them. This guy at my school tried to tell me that they were better and more influential than the Beatles. Were it socially acceptable I would have challenged him to a duel.
    I thought their creativity started to slide after Led Zeppelin IV. They had a few good songs after that, but lots of it was fill. It was real cool to worship them back in high school though. When I tell young guys today that I saw them live back in the day, it's like they want to kiss my feet or something. omfg, you really saw Zeppelin? wow!!!

p.s. I will say though that their reunion show of a year or two ago was better than expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Doors are on my list

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tilt A Whirl View Post
    The Doors are on my list

You read my mind.

I honestly think Led Zep is the greatest rock band of all time. ALl of the albums fucking rocked. How many bands can say that all the albums rocked? How many bands created as many good albums as Led Zep? Okay so the creativity began to slip after 5 albums Name some bands that had 5 kick ass albums? Not that many. That's who.
    The drummer for Led Zep is what really made them I thought. He was one of the greatest ever. Jimmy Page wasn't bad and kept getting better as he got older in my opinion.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    The Doors are on my list

You read my mind.

I honestly think Led Zep is the greatest rock band of all time. ALl of the albums fucking rocked. How many bands can say that all the albums rocked? How many bands created as many good albums as Led Zep? Okay so the creativity began to slip after 5 albums Name some bands that had 5 kick ass albums? Not that many. That's who.
    The drummer for Led Zep is what really made them I thought. He was one of the greatest ever. Jimmy Page wasn't bad and kept getting better as he got older in my opinion.
    You want a list? How much time do you have? Yeah, like I said Page was a pretty good studio guy, the first 4 or five were ok. But live they really sucked. Bonham was ok, a bit heavy handed, but not bad.

Anyways, I could make you a list of bands that put out all kinds of good albums, but what's the point, you probably thing half of them sucked anyway, but here goes...

Bob Dylan
    Neil Young
    Rolling Stones
    Beatles
    Jeff Beck
    Eric Clapton
    Allman Brothers
    Steve Earle
    Steely Dan
    Frank Zappa
    Jimmy Buffett
    JJ Cale
    Spingsteen
    Sabbath

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blasphemy !!!.........

Bow to Zepplin!!!....... I dont know about overrated but Rush has always made me reach for ear plugs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Blasphemy !!!.........

Bow to Zepplin!!!....... I dont know about overrated but Rush has always made me reach for ear plugs.
    Yeah, I've walked out on Rush a couple of times, I was always there for the backup band.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man hard to believe what I'm hearing. My Zepplin and Rush box sets are two of my favorite music purchases. I'll say that although I appreciate them as musicians I've never really liked Pink Floyd. I also respect Dylan as a song write but hearing him sing makes me want to barf.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Doors are on my list

You read my mind.

You want a list? How much time do you have? Yeah, like I said Page was a pretty good studio guy, the first 4 or five were ok. But live they really sucked. Bonham was ok, a bit heavy handed, but not bad.

Anyways, I could make you a list of bands that put out all kinds of good albums, but what's the point, you probably thing half of them sucked anyway, but here goes...

Bob Dylan
    Neil Young
    Rolling Stones
    Beatles
    Jeff Beck
    Eric Clapton
    Allman Brothers
    Steve Earle
    Steely Dan
    Frank Zappa
    Jimmy Buffett
    JJ Cale
    Spingsteen
    Sabbath

I enjoy almost all of those bands, I just dont think they beat Led Zep for hard solid rock and extremely prolific and innovative. Steve Earle is great, I love alot of his stuff, but most of it is country/bluegrass/americana (okay the song N.Y.C. with the Supersuckers kicked ass). Jimmy Buffett is good too. But can you honestly argue they are better rock acts

Love the Alman Brothers (although I am more of a GOv't mule man), again I dont think they have the volume and quality of solid kickass rock. I have most Alman brothers stuff, and I appreciate all the cool precussion, the greatest slide guitarist to ever live (in Duane), a super excellent vocalist in Greg: had Duane lived I think they could be a contender.

Eric Clapton was great. He went soft though. He still isnt the guitarist that Jimmy Page became (and his best work was with Duane Allman).

Rolling Stones are extremely prolific but most of the songs sound very similar, and they aren't rocking enough or creative enough to be greatest ever.

Bob Dylan is more folk mate.

I mean if you hate Led Zep, that is fine. Hell I am not a big fan either, but just hating on them makes you look silly.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You read my mind.

Bob Dylan
    Neil Young
    Rolling Stones
    Beatles
    Jeff Beck
    Eric Clapton
    Allman Brothers
    Steve Earle
    Steely Dan
    Frank Zappa
    Jimmy Buffett
    JJ Cale
    Spingsteen
    Sabbath

I enjoy almost all of those bands, I just dont think they beat Led Zep for hard solid rock and extremely prolific and innovative. Steve Earle is great, I love alot of his stuff, but most of it is country/bluegrass/americana (okay the song N.Y.C. with the Supersuckers kicked ass). Jimmy Buffett is good too. But can you honestly argue they are better rock acts

Love the Alman Brothers (although I am more of a GOv't mule man), again I dont think they have the volume and quality of solid kickass rock. I have most Alman brothers stuff, and I appreciate all the cool precussion, the greatest slide guitarist to ever live (in Duane), a super excellent vocalist in Greg: had Duane lived I think they could be a contender.

Eric Clapton was great. He went soft though. He still isnt the guitarist that Jimmy Page became (and his best work was with Duane Allman).

Rolling Stones are extremely prolific but most of the songs sound very similar, and they aren't rocking enough or creative enough to be greatest ever.

Bob Dylan is more folk mate.

I mean if you hate Led Zep, that is fine. Hell I am not a big fan either, but just hating on them makes you look silly.
    Not a big fan? I thought you said they were the greatest rock band ever. I'm not "hating on them". I just don't think they're the greatest thing since ice cream.

Dylan did plenty of rock. he is all over the map. Listen to Highway 61 Revisited, or Groom's Still waiting at the Altar. One More Weekend. But yeah, he's more of a songwriter, like Neil. He can take the band or leave it.

Clapton went soft in the studio, you're right, but he has always cranked up the blues and rock in his live shows.

Earle went through a real hard phase when he had to kick heroin in the joint. Feel Alright tonight, El Corazon both great hard ass albums.

Allman Brothers are a great live act, great jammers, they can really improvise.

I included "non rock" bands in my list. I figure it is just as difficult to put out a good soft rock album as it is a good hard rock album. Or four or five of them which was the point of our posts.

Anyways, sounds like we're not too far apart on this stuff.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins, both bands wrote catchy songs, and I actually like both bands CDs, but they could never pull it off live.
    Chris Cornell from what I understand sounds good the first few shows of a tour, but Arizona is always near the end.

And Billy Corgan is perhaps one of the biggest douches to ever grace the rock stage.

Nickelback, don't really know who likes them, honestly they have one song, and just change the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qehuyXOmkRs
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins, both bands wrote catchy songs, and I actually like both bands CDs, but they could never pull it off live.
    Chris Cornell from what I understand sounds good the first few shows of a tour, but Arizona is always near the end.

And Billy Corgan is perhaps one of the biggest douches to ever grace the rock stage.

Nickelback, don't really know who likes them, honestly they have one song, and just change the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qehuyXOmkRs
    The Smashing Pumpkins were the single worst live act (from a major band) that I have ever seen. It instantly made me dislike them. I have absolutely no regard for bands who cannot perform.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was never keen on Joe Loss Band myself.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information