Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Guillermo Rigondeaux: lame

12 March 2009 - By Padraig Hoare Gary Hyde claims that Olympic legend Guillermo Rigondeaux will not be allowed to fight in America as a professional for the foreseeable future because the Cuban has an existing contract with him.
    The Florida State Boxing Commission will, according to the Cork businessman, decline the bantamweight superstar a licence to box, with the ruling body allegedly already indicating that it will uphold Hyde’s claim on Rigondeaux.
    Southpaw Rigondeaux, who dazzled the boxing world winning gold in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics, created world headlines last month when he fled his native Cuba to turn professional.
    He was denied a place in the 2008 Olympics because of a previous aborted attempt at defection in 2007. On February 23 this year, the knockout artist turned up in Florida after finally fleeing the Communist regime. It was expected that he would turn professional under the Arena Box banner, with fellow countrymen Odlanier Solis and Yuriorkis Gamboa. That move has allegedly been put on hold.
    Gary Hyde told irish-boxing.com that he had signed a pre-contract with Rigondeaux prior to Arena Box, and that he expected it to be upheld all around the world.
    “I spent my time, money and huge efforts into signing Guillermo and there is no way I would leave him box for someone else. He was happy to sign, with his contract and image rights belonging to me. It was a very lucrative deal," he claimed.
    “I was assured that he would not be signing for anyone else. I contacted the Florida State Commission and was given a cast-iron guarantee that Rigondeaux would not be granted a licence to box until it is sorted out with myself. Furthermore, the commission intimated that no other governing body would grant a licence for the same reason.”
    Hyde added that he was not interested in selling the former world champion’s contract to another promoter.
    “I want him to fight in Ireland and England, like he was happy to do when we signed first day. We already have three world-class prospects in Alexei Acosta, Luis Garcia and Mike Perez and I want Guillermo to be the same. They want for nothing, have the best training and facilities in Newcastle and Cork, and Guillermo will be treated with the same high standard of care.”
    There was no comment available from Arena Box Promotions at this time.
    Rigondeaux is considered to be pound-for-pound one of the all time greats of amateur boxing. He is, at 28, a latecomer to the professional game.
    Meanwhile, Hyde’s three Cuban sensations will box in Newcastle again on April 18.

I understand this, its just frustrating that he can't train with his cuban teammates where you would assume he could be pushed the furthest, and he is forced to fight in a much smaller market. He would be huge in Miami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Guillermo Rigondeaux: lame

Honestly nobody cares, God damnit... this guy is fucking amazing and yet guys like Kirkland and Angulo are being hyped up the yin yang.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never seen him fight, and all I know about him I've read in your threads. If he's as good as you (and I presume others) think he is, it is unfortunate that he will be spending a large portion of his career fighting in presumably smaller venues with little to no international press coverage. At 28, he can't be expected to have too long of a career, so I would like to see what he brings to the table.

I'm sure if the price is right the European promoter will sell the contract.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Honestly nobody cares, God damnit... this guy is fucking amazing and yet guys like Kirkland and Angulo are being hyped up the yin yang.
    Its not that we don't care, its that like CFH said for his weight 28 is already getting up there... now to have this delay only further bogs down his career.

Hopefully he gets things sorted quick & can start making an impact!!!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a load of shit. This guy won't push him on, he needs to get one of the big promoters to buy out his contract. Although if he gets a few pro fights out the way over here quick, then he could maybe move on & someone like Golden Boy may take a look. Even at 28, its not impossible he could have a very good career. He probably needs less fights to adapt after his amateur career.

Thread Information